Reading 1001 discussion

Blue of Noon
This topic is about Blue of Noon
1001 book reviews > Blue of Noon - Bataille

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristel (kristelh) | 3829 comments Mod
2012: A nihilist novel by Georges Bataille, Blue of Noon, is set during the Spanish Civil War and the early years of Nazi movement. The protagonist, Henri Timmermann is a sick man (physically and emotionally). This book is thankfully short, it is so horrible and not enjoyable in any sense of the word. The author has tried and achieved to include every human excretion and depravity in this novella. There are three women, Lazare--a political activist, Dirty--an alcoholic and Xenia--a young woman who nursed Troppmann back to health. Supposedly this is a rewrite of Don Juan but I have not read it so I wouldn't know and the author has used the writing of sex to describe the political climate. I do not feel this work has much merit.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Dec 28, 2019 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane | 1921 comments Rating: 2.5 stars

I am not a fan of Bataille. I chose to read this merely based on its length as I needed to incorporate some shorter books in order to meet my annual goal. It was repulsive, but far more readable than Story of the Eye, in my opinion. It earned an extra star for it's interesting setting and historical context. Otherwise, it really isn't worth reading.