Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > September 2019

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments What are you reading this month? For those of you like me heading back to school, how does your reading life change vs summer?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments I plan on finishing Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari which I am really enjoying. Then I'll try The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young The Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker
If I get time I'll also try and get through Stormcaster (Shattered Realms, #3) by Cinda Williams Chima . I read Shadowcaster (Shattered Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima last month and I liked it but not as much as the first. Did anyone else find that? I think I just loved the characters a lot more in the first book.

message 3: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Plans for this month include finishing a few series
Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5) by Rachel Caine Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4) by Gail Carriger

I'm currently wrapping up Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2) by Holly Black and may try to finish the trilogy with Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3) by Holly Black

Also American Princess A Novel of First Daughter Alice Roosevelt by Stephanie Marie Thornton The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) by Douglas Preston Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4) by Jasper Fforde

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2) by Amy Harmon What a Difference a Duke Makes (School for Dukes, #1) by Lenora Bell
What a Difference a Duke Makes (School for Dukes, #1) by Lenora Bell Un jeu interdit - La trilogie Tome 1 Le chasseur Tome 2 La poursuite Tome 3 L'affrontement by L.J. Smith
Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons, #3) by Jennifer Fallon
There's some stuff YA, some adult romance, ...
I marked as read Lord of the Shadows in my kindle but I think I haven't read it yet. O.o
I started L.J.Smith's trilogy a few weeks ago but I wasn't very into it.

message 5: by Melanie, the 8th (last edited Sep 03, 2019 02:31PM) (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments I’ve already started Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey and To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers . I’m excited about them both.

I plan to read both Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine and Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young .

Hopefully I will finish off my challenges with Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2) by Ryan Graudin and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell .

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Kashiel's Dart was something different. I really liked it.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments I'm finishing up Stalking Jack the Ripper series. I've just finished book 3 Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3) by Kerri Maniscalco and am not-so-patiently waiting for the last and final book of the series to come out next week, Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4) by Kerri Maniscalco

I have really enjoyed these books thus far.

message 8: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Jennifer wrote: "I'm finishing up Stalking Jack the Ripper series. I've just finished book 3 Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3) by Kerri Maniscalco and am not-so-patiently waiting for the last and final book of the series to c..."

I've really enjoyed this series too! I've listened to all of them on audio and Nicola Barber does a fantastic job. I probably won't get ahold of the final book until October at this rate, but I'm excited regardless :)

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I'm finishing up Stalking Jack the Ripper series. I've just finished book 3 Escaping from Houdini (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3) by Kerri Maniscalco and am not-so-patiently waiting for the last and final book o..."

I had the first two books in this series sitting on my shelves since Christmas. I don't know why I waited so long! They were a pleasant surprise :)

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments Also, when are we starting Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young ?

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 08, 2019 05:45PM) (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments Ashley,
Is Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop the last book in the series? If so I'm only 2 behind...I have read the first 3 thus far...I think...so many books, it's hard to keep it all straight! :)

message 12: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments Jennifer wrote: "Also, when are we starting Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young ?"

I'm starting tomorrow, but join in whenever!

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments I only have a half-day at school tomorrow, so I will definitely start reading it then! Super excited for this one!

message 14: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Desilets | 375 comments I just finished listening to Sadie by Courtney Summers . Such a good cast for the book.

Been on a self-help binge, so finished two books there.

On the horizon:
Feed by M.T. Anderson Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart The Unfinished Life of Addison Stone by Adele Griffin The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments I've been binging on fantasy books lately.
Just finished up with a few I've really enjoyed
The Chosen (Contender, #1) by Taran Matharu The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1) by Kalyn Josephson Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1) by Jennifer Estep

message 16: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Jennifer wrote: "Ashley,
Is Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop the last book in the series? If so I'm only 2 behind...I have read the first 3 thus far...I think...so many books, it's hard to keep it all straight! :)"

Yes this is the final book - she's done a spin-off series set in the same universe but in a different town/area that has two books so far. I've heard lukewarm things about them, but we'll see.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Ashley,
Is Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop the last book in the series? If so I'm only 2 behind...I have read the first 3 thus far...I think...so many books, it's hard to keep ..."

Great! I'll look into finishing that series then. I'll also think about starting her spin off series...maybe...

message 18: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments Any September reading highlights/ lowlights?

message 19: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I didn't get to a handful of what I had planned, but a few highlights from September:
Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5) by Rachel Caine Life's That Way by Jim Beaver American Princess A Novel of First Daughter Alice Roosevelt by Stephanie Marie Thornton The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King

Lowlight: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan , which I DNF'd yesterday.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments OMG, I've just realized I have only read one book (in truth I haven't finished it yet) , Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons, #3) by Jennifer Fallon . It kind of feels too long but maybe that's my fault because I don't have time for reading much more than a couple of chapters.

message 21: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments Best books of the month:
Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
*They both just got me hooked into the main characters.

Not really low-lights, but books I expected to like more:
Archangel One by Evan Currie and To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers
*The first is a space opera series I’ve been following. I think the plot has gotten too broad with too many characters to follow.
*The second is the latest Becky Chambers book. It’s not set in the Wayfarers universe, and I wasn’t expecting it to be. I’m aware of her propensity for utopia in her writing, so that didn’t bother me. It just didn’t keep me engaged. I was able to put the book down for half the month before finally finishing it.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments My highlights were Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) by Alison Goodman
I really enjoyed these three and I can't wait for the next one in the series.
I was a bit disappointed in The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness I think I expected more. I liked the humor and the idea of having your main characters not being the heros of the world but the story line was a bit meh for me.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 375 comments My highlights were Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1) by Nicki Pau-Preto Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1) by Suzanne Young Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1) by Jennifer Estep

I loved these three and cannot wait for the next one in the series. Luckily, I don't have to wait for Estep's next book. Checking it out from the library tomorrow! :)