Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Peter Pan
This topic is about Peter Pan
Archive 2019 Theme Reads > 2019 September: Magical Creatures

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (last edited Sep 01, 2019 04:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lesle | 7544 comments Mod
Magical Creatures cover a wide variety from Legendary Myths and Folklore.
Some legendary creatures have their origin in traditional mythology and were believed to be real creatures, for example dragons, griffins, and unicorns. Others were based on real encounters, originating in garbled accounts of travelers' tales.

We have selected three to choose from in this months read:

Fairies: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (176 pages)
Mermaids: The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen (48 pages)
Wizards: The Once and Future King by T.H. White (639 pages)

Which one will you be reading with us this month?

message 2: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am reading Peter Pan, yes as soon as I can locate it in my little room soon to be renamed Library!

message 3: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 11279 comments Mod
I know The Little Mermaid story well. I have never seen the Disney movie but I know it has to be different from the Andersen story.
It is worth reading, since it has a message for all ages.

I hope I have time for Peter Pan, towards the end of the month.

Trisha | 1173 comments I will read The Little Mermaid for the first time. When the Disney version was popular, I visited friends whose toddler was fascinated by the story. It was played almost continuously during my visit, but I only saw a few minutes of it at a time, in random order so I never had any idea what the story was about!

Kathy | 1208 comments I'll be joining in with Peter Pan later in the month.

message 6: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie, I hope you and Kathy enjoy the read later.

I myself have never read this version of Peter Pan.

message 7: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha having two Grandsons Little Mermaid was not on their list of books for Grandma to read to them.
I hope you enjoy the read.

message 8: by Trisha (last edited Sep 02, 2019 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 1173 comments Lesle wrote: "Trisha having two Grandsons Little Mermaid was not on their list of books for Grandma to read to them.
I hope you enjoy the read."

Thanks, Lesle. I read it this afternoon. It’s a sweet story, with beautiful descriptions - I can see why it was chosen for a Disney film. Young girls must love it!
I read Peter Pan quite recently, but have never read any of The Once & Future King so may try this later in the month.

message 9: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Im glad you liked it Trisha.
When I start reading Peter Pan you will have to join in if you can!

message 10: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is my edition of Peter Pan. 249 pages with some great sketchings/ illustrations by Nora S Unwin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 11: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - added it

That looks like a nice old-fashioned cover (the kind I like).

Trisha | 1173 comments Lesle wrote: "This is my edition of Peter Pan. 249 pages with some great sketchings/ illustrations by Nora S Unwin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..."

It looks traditional & beautiful. I only read a Kindle version:
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

message 13: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Looks like a fun cover from a movie Trisha!

message 14: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Its a 1950 version. I love the older books and for 69 yrs old its in good shape and smells lovely!

message 15: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I beginning to think I missed out, when I was a child 👶

Let the "Extraordinary adventures" begin!

message 16: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barrie first met young George and Jack while walking in Kensington Gardens in 1898. Charmed by the boys, he also grew close to their mother, Sylvia (their father, Arthur, was less impressed by Barrie). Barrie began to invite the family to vacation at his estate, where the time he spent playing with the children gave him the idea for Peter Pan’s adventures.

Gem  | 161 comments I listened to an unabridged edition of The Little Mermaid today and loved it. The only exposure I had previously was Disney which is not true to the story. Admitted I love the older, darker versions of fairy tales (like the original 1812 version of the Grimm's Tales prior to them being sanitized for children) so this one was a great find for me.

message 18: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Gem for the heads up. I was not going to look into getting the Classic but now I might!

Gem  | 161 comments Lesle wrote: "Thank you Gem for the heads up. I was not going to look into getting the Classic but now I might!"

It's in this collection: Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales which you can download free.

message 20: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thank you Gem! Wonderful!

Trisha | 1173 comments I know it isn’t on this month’s list, but I read Thumbelina today. It’s so sweet, the descriptions are really beautiful. Another children’s book that I hadn’t read before - it’s a shame, I think I would have loved it when I was a child.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - added it

I was a little girl in Germany and learned the original nonDisney version of the fairy tales. I loved most of them, but my favourite was The Wolf and the Seven Kids. I found The Little Mermaid a little too sad at times.

Trisha | 1173 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I was a little girl in Germany and learned the original nonDisney version of the fairy tales. I loved most of them, but my favourite was The Wolf and the Seven Kids. I found The Little Mermaid a li..."

I found The Wolf & Seven Little Kids , & read it today. Another very cute story, thank you for sharing the information.

message 24: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - added it

You're welcome, Trisha. Another favourite fairy tale is Frau Holle, which is occasionally translated as Mother Holle.

message 25: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peter is such a child he has no reasoning that an older child or adult does. He causes uproar in an otherwise peaceful place.

Peter believes he is different that the other boys as they need a mother and he does not.

Tinks jealousy of Peter gives her a reason to start plotting.

What is real and what is make believe?

Trisha | 1173 comments Lesle wrote: "Peter is such a child he has no reasoning that an older child or adult does. He causes uproar in an otherwise peaceful place.

Peter believes he is different that the other boys as they need a mot..."

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I was disappointed reading this book. For some reason I expected Peter to be a nicer character, but instead thought he was quite selfish.

Gem  | 161 comments I finished Peter Pan today and absolutely love it. I had only ever be exposed to the Disney version of Peter and the more recent Tinkerbell series.

I loved the stories, at least that's what it felt like to me, a lot of stories with the main story. I see Peter's behavior to be selfish and mischevious, just like most of the little boys have been that have been in my life (kids, grandkids and their friends). I adore all the characters, even the naughty one. Captain Hook and his crew, the Indians, the lost boys, the Darlings... including Nana.

message 28: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (last edited Sep 08, 2019 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gem Im glad you love it!

Do you think Wendy's Mother keeping the window open for them is her (Wendy) way of making this all safe for her?

Peter seems very ego based, ornery in the game of impressing and gets bored easily.

Hook has a soft side I did not remember in the Disney version, but not towards Peter. I didnt remember Tiger Lily either??

I am enjoying Smee, Slightly and others.

Gem  | 161 comments Lesle wrote: "Do you think Wendy's Mother keeping the window open for them is her (Wendy) way of making this all safe for her?"

I don't know about safe but rather, a way to get home. (She did know they went out the window, yes? I listened to the first part several days before the last part.)

Peter seems very ego based, ornery in the game of impressing and gets bored easily.

Yes, agreed.

I didnt remember Tiger Lily either?

There is a whole scene (in the Disney film) with Captain Hook using Tiger Lily to set a trap for Peter by tying her up and sitting her on a rock in where the tide starts to rise. Peter winds up saving her. Saving Tiger Lily (rescuing Tiger Lily is toward the end of the clip.

There is also a scene where Tiger Lily's dad smokes a piece pie with Peter and the lost boys learn how to dance. They call Wendy a squaw and send her for wood and she gets annoyed. Here's a clip.

message 30: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gem wrote: "I don't know about safe but rather, a way to get home..."

I might have chose the wrong word...keeps that in mind that there is always a way home.

I dont believe I have ever seen the movie.

message 31: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie and Gem
What age group do you think this is geared for?

Im not sure Brayden would be able to read this without skipping some phrases and words and I like to think he is a good reader at his age of 10.

message 32: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Poor Tink she really loves Peter.

message 33: by Mikiko (last edited Sep 09, 2019 02:08PM) (new)

Mikiko (mikikoschot) | 180 comments For me, this is a great opportunity to read the original classic fairy tales that I grew up with but only through Disney. And to check-off another read on my book challenge.

message 34: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - added it

I read Peter Pan as a bedtime story to my daughters when my older daughter was around 9 years old. They thought it was boring, but I don't remember how I felt, so I will be rereading.

We are finally in a hotel that has power and wifi!

Trisha | 1173 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I read Peter Pan as a bedtime story to my daughters when my older daughter was around 9 years old. They thought it was boring, but I don't remember how I felt, so I will be rereading.

We are final..."

It’s good that you have power & wifi again - I’m glad you’re ok. I was interested to see that your daughters thought the book was boring. It seemed to me that boys might enjoy it more because of the pirates & lost boys - but against that, I wondered if boys would be put off because of fairies. It’s been popular for so long, but I’m not sure why. Perhaps it’s just dated now.

message 36: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - added it

We did get a kick out of the character named Smee.

message 37: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mikiko, I had no idea there was these longer more YA versions of the these Tales until I joined the group reads for YA with Rosemarie.

I have read:
The Jungle Books
Heidi
Pinocchio
and now Peter Pan

I am interested in reading longer tales of:
Bambi
Hansel and Gretel

Gem  | 161 comments Lesle wrote: "Rosemarie and Gem
What age group do you think this is geared for?

Im not sure Brayden would be able to read this without skipping some phrases and words and I like to think he is a good reader at ..."

I can't wight in, I listened to it so don't have a really great grasp on the language, however, the vast majority of the conversations are between children so I think it would be fine for someone 10 years old.

message 39: by Mikiko (new)

Mikiko (mikikoschot) | 180 comments Lesle wrote: "Mikiko, I had no idea there was these longer more YA versions of the these Tales until I joined the group reads for YA with Rosemarie.

I have read:
The Jungle Books
Heidi
..."

It's interesting to note that Pinocchio is the most translated non-religious book in the world.
In July, I was in Lucca, Italy and there were so many types of souvenirs of Pinocchio. I didn't realise that the story was written in the next town over, Pescia. I ended up buying some cute postcards based on original drawings of Pinocchio. Regretting that I didn't buy a little wooden puppet.

message 40: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

That would have been neat to see all the different souvenirs! I can see that being a regret. It would have been cute sitting on your bookshelf!

message 41: by Kathy (last edited Sep 13, 2019 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathy | 1208 comments I finished Peter Pan and found the writing magical and wonderful. I'd have liked someone to read this to me as a child. So adventurous. Here's the edition I read from the library:

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

The book has a "good" feel to it, like it's a quality paperback.

message 42: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathy it is a wonderfully fun read!

Your edition does appear very nice for a paperback! (Hardcover lover that I am! lol)

Gem  | 161 comments I started listening to The Sword in the Stone audiobook today. I am really enjoying the narrator, Neville Jason. He does voices like Jim Dale does in the Harry Potter series. It's great fun. If my grandbabies were a bit older I'd have them listen to it, but it's long and they are little.

message 44: by Suki (last edited Oct 16, 2019 12:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 105 comments I read the original Peter Pan for the first time. I had a Peter Pan picture book when I was a kid, have never seen the movie. The original story was a lot darker than the picture book. There were whimsical elements in the beginning that I loved-- the mother organizing her children's minds for the next day, and I adored Nana the nursemaid. I didn't enjoy Neverland nearly as much-- there was a bit of a Lord of the Flies vibe at times that I really disliked, and things got kind of murdery from time to time. I didn't find Peter to be a sympathetic character at all-- he was really rather annoying.

message 45: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suki you are right he is rather selfish and is a bit darker than Disney version, but that tends to be the theme for the originals compared to Disney.