Literary Award Winners Fiction Book Club discussion

Humboldt's Gift
This topic is about Humboldt's Gift
Past Reads > Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow, pages 238 to the end

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

George (georgejazz) | 457 comments Mod
Please comment here on Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow, (1976 Pulitzer Prize Winner), pages 238 to the end.

Irene | 523 comments Finished and I struggled all the way through.

You did well. I still have 100 pages to go. Still enjoying the book a lot but I can understand readers being annoyed with Citrine and not caring about his trials and tribulations! (I am reading two other books are present that are not as entertaining as Humboldt’s Gift - 2666 by Bolaño and The House of the Seven Gables by Hawthorne).

I finally finished this hoot of a novel. Charlie’s brother, Ulick, is great fun. He is a rich property developer who knows how to make a dollar and seems to know what makes Charlie tick. Everyone seems to be able to push Charlie around, though in the end Charlie shuns his money making focus to take things easy in Europe, leaving his beloved Chicago behind. I enjoyed Renata’s style though I thought dumping her son on Charlie in Madrid for a couple of months was taking her manipulative abilities too far! Cantabile comes back for a bit but is nowhere near as funny as in the opening section of the novel. Overall a very entertaining novel that I look forward to rereading sometime in the future.

Mary (maryingilbert) | 67 comments I finished it! I was quite surprised to see Cantabile show up in Madrid. At times I thought the prose was overly verbose -- so much musing by Charlie about the soul and death. I was charmed by Humboldt's gift from beyond the grave. This was a hefty read, but I think worth the effort.

Thanks for your thoughts Mary. I agree that Charlie is a little over the top in his reflections about his soul and death, but sometimes it’s funny. Glad you thought it was worth the effort.