Desperate BookJunkies discussion

What are you reading NOW/NEXT? > What is everyone reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 492 (492 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
I'm half way through Those Who Save Us.

message 2: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jennifer (desperatebookjunkie) | 205 comments Mod
I am half way through Blood Promise in the Vampire Academy series! This book is a bit different from the first few and you meet alot of new characters Ill keep you posted.

message 3: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

So I started the Circle Series by Ted Dekker it includes Black, Red and White (and Green which has just been released) currently I am starting the White book.
I have to say it is very interesting. It is about an average man who is torn between two worlds, both very real. When he falls asleep he awakens in a world that could only be nothing short of dream like and amazing, even though this world faces very real tradgedies, and death. But when he falls asleep in this unreal world, he awakens in Boston, facing a terrible virus in modern day. He learns these things from his dreams in the other world and the more he learns the more he finds out that the fate of both "worlds" depends on him, and the knowledge that he gains, and how he affects both worlds. This book keeps you guessing and throws you between reality and fantasy, both of which are gripped with terror and strength.

message 4: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

I just finished reading The Blessed Child by Ted Dekker. It was a good book but probably very controversial. If you do not believe in God or are not Christian Catholic you might not like this book. It is very faith based but very good and heartfelt.

message 5: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

I am reading Skin by Ted Dekker right now. Very creepy!

message 6: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison is my current read- good so far, but I didnt realize it was the fifth book in a series so I am missing a bit of history which is hard, but otherwise i am enjoying it!

message 7: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Ok so I just finished "Fire" by Kristen Cashore, and I really liked it. If you are expecting a continuation of Graceling her first book, it isnt. Although it is similar. Instead of Gracelings... they have "Monsters". Very good and I recommend it, especially if you liked Gracelings, but just read it as a seperate book rather thinking of it as a sequel.

Now I am reading- I KNOW I KNOW- another Ted Dekker book called "Kiss" about a woman whose estranged father is running for president, and it just so happens that she was in an accident and much of her memory was erased... kinda suspicious huh? Well if you want to find out the dirt on this story youll either have to read it- or wait till I am done and look out for my synopsis of the book.

message 8: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

I just started reading "Breathless" By Dean Koontz. I am starting "Shiver" next (about wolves). Also Cici just started it as well. I will let you know how both books are!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading a Sue Henry mystery called Murder on the Iditarod Trail. Pretty much says it all, but I loved visiting Alaska and this takes me back to its beauty. And the lady in it has dogs and I love dogs, too. Will start Catching Fire when done with this one.

message 10: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Catching Fire was very good. I have never read a Sue Henry Mystery. I have a hard time with mystery or murder mystery books. Mostly because like movies I always figure out the ending. It is terrible, my brain always spoils the ending! I think it is from being in law school and having to figure out fact patterns and try to figure out "what happened". It is helpful but very frustrating. Not to mention I have a very creative and analytical mind, so I am able to meld the two together and usually end up pretty close to the ending. That's why I love horror books so much because you really have limitless endings, especially when science is involved, or aliens... Ohhhhh!

message 11: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Currently I am finishing up a book called "Shiver" by Maggie Steifvater (forgive me if I misspelled her last name). It started out a bit predictable but I really like going into the minds of the characters. It is about a little girl who is attacked by wolves at a young age. She always feels a connection with those wolves who are really humans who shapeshift during winter months. As she grows into her teenage years she becomes empassioned with a particular wolf. Eventually she finds out that this wolf is of course-- a boy her age, and it became a unlikely romance. Full of passion for such a young couple, it is very believable (not the wolves the romance) lol. I am enjoying it. I will probably end up rating it a High 3 star almost a four if the ending is very good!

message 12: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Jennifer and I have finished Shiver and we both rated it 3 star, I think the next book will be a little better, since they get older and mature somewhat.
I just started Cleopatra's Daughter and so far it is good,I just haven't had much time for reading!!!!

message 13: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

OK I read Shiver, I read "Sinner" by Ted Dekker, and now I am reading "Roots" because I have seen it so many times on peoples favorites! I actually am really into it. I love the story of how the people just live so simple but life was so busy. I really wish times were closer to that day in age... but then again I do love my internet, and books!

message 14: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
yes, Roots is amazing!!! I should read it again, it's been a long time.
I started Cleopatra's daughter, but Brandon bought me Bam Margera's book, Serious as dog dirt and Bam is my celeb crush, seriously! I LOVE HIM!!! lol, so I'm halfway through with it.

message 15: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Thank You for all the books for xmas Cici! I can't wait to read them all! I am still working on "Roots", then "Oom", and then "Under the Dome" by Stephen King... and then I am working on the books you gave me lol... I am a busy girl, Santa was good to me with the books. YAY!

message 16: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Bam Margera drives me insane... Oh wait, maybe that is the other guy... umm what is his NAME? I can't remember. How is Cleo's Daughter coming? I loved "Heretic Queen" I hope it is just as good, because I am wanting to read it!

message 17: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
I bet it's Stevo, because I can't stand him, Johnny Knoxville? He's kinda cute in a dirty way,I guess. Bam is the skateboarder and he had his own show viva la bam,you have got to watch them!!!
I still have a lot of your books I haven't gotten to yet either.
I haven't been reading very much, Cleos daughter is good, so far, it's either a little slow or I have waaay too much to do because I haven't really been making much time to read it??? It's Not Bad, just wait until I read it, then I'll let you knoe if its worth it, I feel bad I made u read Shiver

message 18: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

ITS STEVO! Yes I can't stand him. LOL I remember that Bam Margera wasn't that bad, he had his own show after he worked with Stevo. I think I watched it a few times lol he totally drove his parents crazy, didnt he like put a statue of his parents or dad on the lawn doing something wierd like peeing or something? Also his uncle was always getting busted on in the bathroom?

I could be wrong, like I said I don't remember to much.

PS- Dont feel bad you made me read Shiver! I got it from the library and there was alot to the book I liked. You didn't like it? Im actually thinking of reading the second one, Linger.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Curse of the Spellmans, I laughed so much - a great read to relieve the stress of the holidays! I know that Jennifer and Cici do not read mysteries very often, but if any of the rest of you are interested in light mysteries with wacky characters and laugh out loud moments, try the Spellman series!

message 20: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "ITS STEVO! Yes I can't stand him. LOL I remember that Bam Margera wasn't that bad, he had his own show after he worked with Stevo. I think I watched it a few times lol he totally drove his parents ..."

Yes he does drive his parents crazy, and yes his Uncle Vito with the lazy eye, that talks gibberish. Yes, Bam is my love.

I did like it, but I thought I would Love it and I will probably read Linger, too. Lol.

message 21: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Jenn wrote: "I just finished Curse of the Spellmans, I laughed so much - a great read to relieve the stress of the holidays! I know that Jennifer and Cici do not read mysteries very often, but if any of the re..."

I will read about anything :)I'm just on this young adult book, kick.lol.

message 22: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Hello Jessica, thanks for joining! I just checked out your profile page to see what books your interested in and I see that you like greek mythology and I have seriously been looking for a good mythology book to read for like a year now. I was introduced and fell inlove with it in middle school, I just loved the stories, I wish I could even find that book, but I can't remember what it was called. What are your fav's?

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) I usually pick up Mythology as I go-- like on websites or in classes from handouts-- but a good book to start with is called "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton. It's a nice collection of myths, though it's less gender-based and more politically correct than other versions of the same myths. "Mythology" is one of those books that almost every High School student has had to read.

Otherwise, it depends on what kind of mythology you're interested in. Greek mythology has a lot of good plays and of course there's always Homer's "Odyssey" and the "Iliad" which are amazing.

I, in particular, recccomend the Greek play "Medea" by Euripides. It is about Jason's wife and her revenge when he tries to cast her aside. "Lysistrata" by Aristophanes is also a good one to read. The play is a Greek comedy that centers around women witholding sex from their husbands so they stop warring. It is quite catty and wonderfully written.

If you're looking for something more modern, Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" is a very interesting book that basically combines a bunch of different myths from other nations with the assumption that they came with the immigrants who came to America (or something like that; I haven't finished the book).

I hope that helps! You can ALWAYS find myths for free online to read, also. ^_^

message 24: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
Thanks, Jessica. I did almost pick up "Mythology" but I wasn't sure.. and I will definetly look online. I have been wanting to read the Iliad, too and then someone told me it is such a hard book to read? Well,I'm going to have to check it out :)

message 25: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jessica, wow you know alot about mythologies! I loved the greek myths. But for some reason I have never thought about reading them (I've just heard the stories verbally). Maybe soon we can do a Mythology read for our group read?

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) That would be aweeeesommmmeeee!!!! ^_^

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in as long as the book/story is not too long. And there must be lots of sex and revenge! OK that part pretty much covers all mythology, right?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

So I was at my auntie's house for New Year, and she had this romance book sitting on the table. All the men were watching football, the women were chatting in the kitchen (if I have to hear about how one of my cousins is messing up their lives one more time . . . ) and I picked it up. Now I am hooked on this really awful book (A Woman Scorned by Liz Carlyle)and I can't seem to put it down! What is wrong with me? It is amazing I could tear myself away to type this. I have put off checking papers (big surprise), housework, shoveling that white crap outside, and just about everything else for this stupid book! Lord help me!

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) Sad as it is, I felt that way about the Twilight series. I hated EVERY second of it, but I just HAD to keep reading!!!

What is it about?

message 30: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

LOL@ Jenn and mythology... and I thought I was a pervert! At least I don't put sex and violence in the same thought :p

Actually, I am in too, if it has some good sex and violence (did I say that aloud)?

message 31: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jenn I guess we are both living in a winter wonder land... my kids found out where and what, the yellow winter wonder land comes from... My dog loves to make lemonade snow cones.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

OK Jess, you asked! This book is about a widow who has a secret (I think the secret is that someone from her past is trying to kill her children and one of them is illegitimate). Her husband dies and everyone thinks she poisoned him. Enter handsome and studious Cole Something to tutor her children. They are attraceted to each other something fierce and fight their feelings. They have not had sex yet and I am on page 197. But I think she is ready to confess her secret to the handsome tutor . . .

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Jenn I guess we are both living in a winter wonder land... my kids found out where and what, the yellow winter wonder land comes from... My dog loves to make lemonade snow cones."

I finally shovelled that walk and driveway. No yellow snow, but the stupid snowplow came through and I had to shovel the end of the driveway again. I just hope the driver doesn't take my mailbox again this year. I have lived in this house for 5 years and have had to replace the mailbox 3 times from the snowplow drivers . . .

message 34: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) Ooooooooooooooooh my goodness... That sounds HORRID, Jenn! Like something that would be on Lifetime! But, it does sound like one of those addicting books. Like a soap opera.

I'm back up in the UP and we've got a crap-ton of snow, also. It's scary to pull out into the road because the snow banks are so high on either end that you can't see if a car is coming.

Good luck with your mail box!!! Sounds like you need to get a titanium one. :)

message 35: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jenn, omg I wonder if you can report that to the snowplow company? They should have to replace that! You know me, I'd be on the phone stating that they damaged my property and if it isn't fixed I will report them to the BBB, and write letters to everyone in the subdivision and community asking to find a new company to maintain our roads, because the current company lacks respect and responsibility for the integrity of the residents personal property when they accidentally damage said property!

LOL@ Jessica "Titanium mailbox", one with a video recorder to catch that damn drunk snowplower!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Jenn, omg I wonder if you can report that to the snowplow company? They should have to replace that! You know me, I'd be on the phone stating that they damaged my property and if it isn't fixed I w..."

The county doesn't care. They told me that the mailbox is my responsibility and don't I even think about putting it into concrete because if the snowplow hits the mailbox and gets damaged because it is sunk in concrete that I will have to PAY FOR THE DAMAGE THAT IT TOOK WHEN IT HIT MY MAILBOX!!!

ABSURD!

message 37: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Jenn, that is crazy. I am sure that would not hold up in court... (don't quote me on that) lol

Still regardless if your mailbox is your responsibility, that is a bit like saying
"Your children are your responsibility, and if our mailman runs them over, then you will have to pay if they damage the mail truck" how absurd. Ok maybe I am a lil' dramatic, but that is just another example of cities not taking responsibility for their employees actions, thinking the problem will just go-away if they claim that it is not their problem. Which I am sure it is their problem, but now-a days it is hard enough to find mailmen let alone good-ones. So if you complain and he gets fired, your neighbors will set fire to your house because no one is receiving their mail! lol there I go again with that imagination!

message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 5 comments Currently reading Super Freakonomics, The Green Collar Economy and The Uglys

message 39: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

The Uglies! That is a good book, Pretties, is good too, but I didn't like the rest of the "series". You sure have your plate full! I believe an author member of ours has read "Super Freakonomics" although I can't say for sure. Perhaps you two could talk about it. I don't believe anyone else here has read it.
What is the Green Collar Economy about?

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) I heard awesome things about "Super Freakonomics". Two of my best friends LOVE it. What do you think so far?

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 5 comments Well I am really interested in economics in general and I enjoyed Freakanomics - so the authors and I are back with more behavioral economics in Superfreaknomics. Basically, the authors look at human behavior and try to discern what's going on behind our decision making processes and back their theories up with quite a bit of research and a lot of economic theory - It may sound boring, but they are turning the world upside down with topics such as: Should suicide bombers buy life insurance? How is a prostitute like a department store santa and Why? The writing is witty and fun and the topics are off beat, interesting, and relevant. The Green Collar Economy was written by Van Jones, former head of green collar jobs department, for the Obama administration. As some of you may know we're trying to turn the state of Michigan around - If we can do for Detroit what Van Jones did for Oakland CA. this state might just have a chance at an economic future - There I go again with the econ. I'm a nerd I know - but I'm good with that. At any rate - The Green Collar Economy marries two of my favorite subjects: economics and the Environment. As for The Ugly's - Having a bit of a hard time with this one, but pushing through. I have a few students who have been bothering me to read it

message 42: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) Hmmmm.... I'll be checking it out. One more book on my 'to read' list!! Yikes!

message 43: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Is the book Uglys or Uglies? I think the one I read was called the "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld? or something like that?

I just finished "Oom" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns", I am a few chapters into "Under the Dome" by Stephen King :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Jenn, that is crazy. I am sure that would not hold up in court... (don't quote me on that) lol

Still regardless if your mailbox is your responsibility, that is a bit like saying
"Your children are..."

You know how pedestrians always have the right of way? In France if you are crossing the road on foot and you are not at a crosswalk and a car hits you, you will be fined for the damage to the car. And if you die, your family gets the bill. Honking is a courtesy in Paris!

message 45: by Cici (new)

Cici | 379 comments Mod
In Honduras pedestrians do not get the right of way either and they have no speed limits, i came very close to being hit by a car. Their laws are basically no rules, who cares, it's sad :(

By the way, I am reading Change of Heart because everyone has given it such great reviews.
Other reviews claim it's just like the green mile, which I am seeing, so far.

message 46: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

Yeah countries have very different customs, I dont know precisely which one, but a Japanese or Chinese? custom, where if you shake their hand it is offensive, because you wipe your butt with your hands... or something. lol

message 47: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

I apologize for my absence this week, I am having alot of family drama, military drama, and school overload.

message 48: by Jess (new)

Jess (jhigg) It's okay :( It's been one of those weeks for me, too.

message 49: by Jennifer, Owner/Moderator (new)

So I just finished this book called "Bleeding Violet" it was for young adults, but it was really good. It kind of reminded me of Harry Potter meets, crazy yet fun girl! Here's a little blurb about it! I loved it.
"Love can be a dangerous thing....

Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.

But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe."

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "It's okay :( It's been one of those weeks for me, too."

Me, too. Is it full moon??

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10