Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Vorkosigan Universe > The Komarran Issue *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
Komarr is a sore topic throughout the series. Miles' dad is known by some as "The Butcher of Komarr" and there are bad feelings on both sides of the issue.

Do you think Barrayar had the right to invade? Do you think it was reasonable of Komar to allow the Cetagandans through (did they have a choice?)

Any thoughts or comments?

message 2: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
It is never justifiable to invade on others. I have many difficulties while reading the parts of Komarr that are justifying the Barrayaran invasion. It is a fact that for Barrayar there was lots at stake since it was their only contact with the rest of the Nexus through that one wormhole. So I can understand, but it still leaves a bad taste to try to approve. There is no such thing as a nice invader.

message 3: by vorthys (new)

vorthys | 47 comments I don't think we know enough about why Komarr let the Cetagandans through to be able to judge.

Did Barrayar have a right to invade? I'm not sure "right" is the correct word here, but I certainly believe they were justified in taking action to protect themselves. Of course, some of the actions taken by Barrayaran's during the invasion were unjustifiable.

message 4: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
I think this is an issue we might consider revisiting as we continue to read the series. I know we learn more about what caused Barrayar to invade in other books in the series....