Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Coming of Age

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6492 comments What are your favorite Coming of Age horror stories?

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg (popzeus) The Shadow Year

This one seems to fly under the radar a little - I’d highly recommend to anyone who enjoys the genre.

message 4: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
I think Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon and
It by Stephen King It by Stephen King are considered the gold standards, and rightfully so. But, there are some great coming of age fiction that’s hit the shelves in the last 15 years or so.

Here are some more of my favorites:
Fear by Ronald Kelly Fear by Ronald Kelly
The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale
Summer of Night (Seasons of Horror, #1) by Dan Simmons Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
Cricket Hunters by Jeremy Hepler Cricket Hunters by Jeremy Hepler
Of Foster Homes and Flies by Chad Lutzke Of Foster Homes and Flies by Chad Lutzke
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum
and another author that is probably kicking out some of the best coming of age tales here currently is James Newman. He has
Midnight Rain by James Newman Midnight Rain, Odd Man Out by James Newman Odd Man Out, and In The Scrape by James Newman In The Scrape.

message 5: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 01, 2019 01:06PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments I second Bay's End and A Boy's Life (although I don't consider the second horror)

Also Summer of Night, great book, and of course IT

I'll throw in Children of the Dark

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Nothing Lasting by Glen R. Krisch

message 8: by Kelly B (new)

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 246 comments Greg wrote: "The Shadow Year

This one seems to fly under the radar a little - I’d highly recommend to anyone who enjoys the genre."

Seconded. Also seconding It by Stephen King and Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury . Really, Coraline by Neil Gaiman also fits the sub-genre.

message 10: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2875 comments Mod
The Summer that Melted Everything by Tiffany McDaniel I loved this book. Don't think it got the attention it deserved.

message 11: by Scott (last edited Jun 21, 2020 12:44PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 386 comments My favorite coming of age novel is definately Summer of Night by Dan Simmons , but Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon , It by Stephen King , Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) by Ray Bradbury , Ghoul by Brian Keene , Straight on 'Til Morning by Christopher Golden , are also excellent.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6820 comments Summer of Night and It

The Body maybe could be in this category too.