Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Lovecraftian / Cthulhu Mythos

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6524 comments What are your favorite Lovecraftian stories?

message 4: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1616 comments None. I have never "gotten" Lovecraft. For me, the end of the story is always followed by unresolved puzzlement about what I just read. At least in the stories I've read, there seems to be little consistency in just what rules are in play... :(

message 5: by Kelly B (new)

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments Kelly B wrote: "The Willows by Algernon Blackwood

The Fisherman by John Langan"

Agreed. Also Langan's House of Windows by John Langan ,
Laird Barron's The Croning by Laird Barron ,
and Caitlin R. Kiernan's The Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan (ignore the misleading cover)
and The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan . Kiernan's Agents of Dreamland by Caitlín R. Kiernan , a novella, is also powerful.

Kiernan is arguably the best contemporary writer influenced by HPL. Probably the main competition for that position would be Ramsey Campbell,
Cold Print by Ramsey Campbell
Midnight Sun by Ramsey Campbell
The Grin of the Dark by Ramsey Campbell

The latter is one of the few books I've read in the last few years that unsettled me. It's implications are deeply disturbing.

Also, anyone interested in HPL might also want to read Clark Ashton Smith and Thomas Ligotti.

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Conlon (goodreadscomchristopherconlon) | 268 comments I’ll second Ramsey Campbell in general and The Grin of the Dark in particular. Also, Robert Bloch’s Strange Eons, which I just re-read for the first time in something like 25 years, is delightful—a fast and fun story set in the Cthulhu Mythos but written in Bloch’s own contemporary pulp-fiction style.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 410 comments I could never get into Lovecrafts style, but I do like cosmic horror, here are some titles that come to mind .

Deeper by James A. Moore , Stephen King's N. by Marc Guggenheim , Creatures of the Pool by Ramsey Campbell , The Dunwich Romance by Edward Lee , The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein , Trolley No. 1852 by Edward Lee , Pages Torn from a Travel Journal by Edward Lee , and The Compleat Crow by Brian Lumley .

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 15 comments I'm a 2nd generation Lovecraft fan.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 63 comments Kirsten wrote: "I'm a 2nd generation Lovecraft fan."

Talk about being raised right! (-:

message 11: by Gordon (last edited Sep 17, 2020 12:40PM) (new)

message 12: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Irvine (ljirvine) | 11 comments Not my favourite but definitely up there is The Cats of Ulthar by Lovecraft. I love kitties and it was the perfect revenge story.

message 13: by Zain (new)

Zain | 65 comments The Ballad of Black Tom
The Dunwich Horror
Mountain of Madness
The Thing at the Door
The Haunter
Brian Lumley’s books on the mythos
The Sherlock Holmes books on the mythos
Just about every good book on the mythos

Zain 😎