Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Southern-Gothic

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6483 comments What are your favorite Southern-Gothic horror stories?

message 3: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Anything with voodoo?

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1418 comments Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror

message 5: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6483 comments Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Falling Angel

message 6: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6483 comments Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Another one that is not horror but is a Southern-Gothic, true crime novel with a fair shake of voodoo is:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

message 7: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10681 comments Mod
J. wrote: "Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror"

i'll be reading this one soon. it's one of my picks for the ladies of horror fiction 1 year anniversary challenge.

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
When I think of Southern Gothic, I think of John Farris and Ronald Kelly.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Yes, Fear is great by Ronald Kelly

message 10: by Almaric (new)

Almaric | 22 comments I just finished McDowell's The Elementals this afternoon. I loved it! Southern Gothic Beach Horror! The Blackwater Series has become a must read in my near future.

message 11: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Ken wrote: "Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Another one that is not horror but is a Southern-Gothic, true crime novel with a fair shake of voodoo is:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"

thanx..and I've seen this movie..it's great.

message 12: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments J. wrote: "Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror"

thanx..

message 13: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Almaric wrote: "I just finished McDowell's The Elementals this afternoon. I loved it! Southern Gothic Beach Horror! The Blackwater Series has become a must read in my near future."

One of the best series out there, Blackwater is easily an unputdownable, and also the novels run short (100-150 pages max). Strong matriarchal themes.

message 14: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments The short story A Rose for Emily

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Almaric wrote: "I just finished McDowell's The Elementals this afternoon. I loved it! Southern Gothic Beach Horror! The Blackwater Series has become a must read in my near future."

It's good so far (The Floor), but slower. I'm sure I will enjoy it. I like his writing style.

message 16: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Kelly B wrote: "The short story A Rose for Emily"

A Pre-hitchcockian Hitcockian thriller..

message 18: by Latasha (new)

Wow! I didn’t that was a book. I saw the movie.

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott Springer | 12 comments Arka wrote: "One of the best series out there, Blackwater is easily an unputdownable."

Oh, yes. Blackwater is hypnotic. I have the omnibus on audible and now I thoroughly enjoy getting stuck in rush hour.

message 20: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Scott wrote: "Arka wrote: "One of the best series out there, Blackwater is easily an unputdownable."

Oh, yes. Blackwater is hypnotic. I have the omnibus on audible and now I thoroughly enjoy getting stuck in ru..."

Lol

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 245 comments Kelly B wrote: "The short story A Rose for Emily"

Good call. While not really horror, Light in August and Absalom, Absalom! are very dark works of fiction, among the best of Southern Gothic. Allan Tate's novel The Fathers, And Other Fiction is also great Southern Gothic, and reads like an extended story by Poe. (Haven't read the other fiction.)

Something more recent is William Gay's Twilight which reads like a nightmarish fairy tale taking place as much of it does in North Carolinian woods, and involves a scene or two that might be too grisly if they weren't so funny. A bit less ambitious but very entertaining is Anne Rivers Siddons' The House Next Door.

message 23: by Rob (last edited Sep 08, 2019 03:56PM) (new)

Rob | 2 comments Latasha wrote: "Wow! I didn’t that was a book. I saw the movie."

The Clint Eastwood movie or the remake? In my humble opinion, the remake was TERRIBLE!! Do yourself a favor and watch the Eastwood film if you haven't already. It's the closest thing to a horror movie Eastwood has ever done. Even if you hate Clint's political affiliations, I highly recommend that film!! I need to read the book one of these days...

message 24: by Latasha (new)

I saw the remake.

message 26: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments Latasha wrote: "I saw the remake."

Well, shucks.

The Bottoms and Edge of Dark Water.....Joe R. Lansdale

message 27: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1867 comments Rob wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I saw the remake."

Well, shucks.

The Bottoms and Edge of Dark Water.....Joe R. Lansdale"

The Bottoms is a 5 Star read. I love Lansdale.

message 28: by Nikki (new)

Nikki K | 1 comments A Choir Of Ill Children by Tom Picirrilli. I wouldn’t say this novel scared me, but it had a genuine southern gothic feel that was disturbing and grotesque.

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Ken B wrote: "Arka wrote: "Anything with voodoo?"

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"

Good movie as well!

message 30: by Scott (last edited Jun 20, 2020 04:26PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 384 comments Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin , Gone South by Robert R. McCammon , Blackwater The Complete Caskey Family Saga (Blackwater, #1-6) by Michael McDowell , Usher's Passing by Robert R. McCammon , Cold Moon Over Babylon by Michael McDowell , and Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice .

message 31: by Latasha (new)

Scott wrote: "Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin, Gone South by Robert R. McCammon, Blackwater The Complete Caskey Family Saga (Blackwater, #1-6) by Michael McDowell, Usher's Passing by Robert R. McCammon, [bookcover:Cold Moon O..."

great choices!

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Anyone read or find any good southern gothic books lately?

message 33: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4614 comments Mod
Justin wrote: "Anyone read or find any good southern gothic books lately?"

Blackwood by Michael Farris Smith by Michael Farris Smith
Subtle horror, but excellent Southern Gothic novel.

message 34: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Ooh that sounds good!