100BestWIT discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Nominate: October 2019 Selection

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments To give you more time to prepare and acquire the books (if necessary), we would like to invite you all to start nominating books for our October group selection.

The rules remain the same: each member can nominate ONE book from the list of 100 Best Books by Women Writers in Translation and second ONE nomination by another member.

The last day for nominating & seconding is September 5.

On September 6, the most popular books will be put into a final poll and you'll be able to vote for one book that you would like to see as our October selection.

Results for next month’s selection will be announced on September 9.

Happy nominating!

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 37 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich."

I'd like to second that one - I just pulled it out yesterday to reread. The first time I read it was on a road trip where a friend & I read it to each other, and I can't say that I was able to completely take it in. So I'd like to read it a bit more deeply than last time. I need to take a look at the list before I nominate anything.

message 4: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charleyroxy) | 9 comments I will nominate The Unwomanly Face of War by Svetlana Alexievich and wait for a few more before I second one.

message 5: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments I would like to nominate The Wall by Marlen Haushofer and second The Unwomanly Face of War by Svetlana Alexievich.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I second The Wall.

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell (sackvillepanza) | 10 comments I nominate So Long a Letter by Mariama Bâ.

message 8: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 28 comments I'll second So long a letter and I nominate The Ten Thousand Things by Maria Dermoût.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I second Ten Thousand Things.

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Ella wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich."

I'd like to second that one - I just pulled it out yesterday to reread...."

Thanks Ella :)

message 11: by Jen (new)

message 12: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 2 comments I would like to nominate Tentacle by Rita Indiana.

I will second The Wall by Marlen Haushofer

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary D (wanderroxyreads) | 4 comments I nominate “The House of Spirits” and second “Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets”

message 14: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Mary wrote: "I nominate “The House of Spirits” and second “Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets”"

Thanks Mary :)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments I love that I don’t need to nominate, so many great picks already

message 16: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments Michael wrote: "I love that I don’t need to nominate, so many great picks already"

But you can still second one of these great picks :)

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 31 comments All of them

message 18: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments Michael wrote: "All of them"

Sorry, but that’s against the rules. :) You’ll have to pick one!

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charleyroxy) | 9 comments I will second Tentacle!

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (bpunch) | 2 comments Second The Unwomanly Face of War by Svetlana Alexievich

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I would like to nominate The Door by Magda Szabó

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  (lauren_w) | 7 comments Planning to read Secondhand Time already next month, so happy to see that that could be the selection :)

message 23: by June (new)

June | 8 comments I second The Door...

message 24: by Agnese (new)

Agnese | 55 comments Thank you all for nominating & seconding!

The poll is now open to vote for our October selection: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.