2021 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > November Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Oct 01, 2019 07:35AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4534 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for November! The theme is Veterans

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by September 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Ron (new)

Ron Wroblewski | 67 comments This book was published under two titles:
12 Strong
Horse Soldiers
by Doug Stanton

Special Forces Team secretly entering Afghanistan following 9/11 and road to war on horses against the Taliban. It was made into a movie.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1424 comments Ron wrote: "This book was published under two titles:
12 Strong
Horse Soldiers
by Doug Stanton

Special Forces Team secretly entering Afghanistan following 9/11 and road to war on horses against the Taliban. I..."

I read this while working at Borders years ago. Although it is not something I would typically select to read I found it fascinating!

message 4: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Sep 01, 2019 12:07PM) (new)

Ilona | 3740 comments I would like to nominate Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum.

Goodreads blurb: For fifty years, Anna Schlemmer has refused to talk about her life in Germany during World War II. Her daughter, Trudy, was only three when she and her mother were liberated by an American soldier and went to live with him in Minnesota. Trudy's sole evidence of the past is an old photograph: a family portrait showing Anna, Trudy, and a Nazi officer, the Obersturmfuhrer of Buchenwald.

Driven by the guilt of her heritage, Trudy, now a professor of German history, begins investigating the past and finally unearths the dramatic and heartbreaking truth of her mother's life.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 125 comments I’d like to nominate The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien.

It is a collection of short stories about a platoon of American soldiers during the Vietnam War.

message 6: by Ashleigh (last edited Sep 02, 2019 10:24PM) (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 783 comments Sorry, on phone so can't link but I'd like to nominate 'A Dog's Gift' by Bob Drury. It is a book about the importance of service dogs for children and veterans :)

A Dog's Gift: The Inspirational Story of Veterans and Children Healed by Man's Best Friend

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean (fordest) | 221 comments I will nominate Dispatches by Michael Herr.

From Goodreads:

Written on the front lines in Vietnam, Dispatches became an immediate classic of war reportage when it was published in 1977.

From its terrifying opening pages to its final eloquent words, Dispatches makes us see, in unforgettable and unflinching detail, the chaos and fervor of the war and the surreal insanity of life in that singular combat zone. Michael Herr’s unsparing, unorthodox retellings of the day-to-day events in Vietnam take on the force of poetry, rendering clarity from one of the most incomprehensible and nightmarish events of our time.

Dispatches is among the most blistering and compassionate accounts of war in our literature.

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1424 comments I second Those Who Save Us since I have owned this book for years and have yet to read it!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I'll nominate The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. The main character in this book is a veteran of World War I.

message 10: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6251 comments Melissa wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien.

It is a collection of short stories about a platoon of American soldiers during the Vietnam War."

I'll second this nomination.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen O | 19 comments I'll second Dispatches by Michael Herr.

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 373 comments How about Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII. November is Native American Indian Heritage Month so it might be kind of cool to read something that fits there and fits the veteran theme.

message 13: by Lei (last edited Sep 04, 2019 10:49PM) (new)

Lei (wfsm) | 192 comments I nominated Redeployment by Phil Klay. Nation Book Award for Fiction, about soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan.

message 14: by Shanka (Shannon) (new)

Shanka (Shannon) Boudreau | 10 comments I nominate Alan Turing: The Enigma, Alan Turing (1912-1954) was a British Mathematician whom invented the computer and artificial intelligence. Played a major roll in breaking the German enigma ciphers during WWII.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 909 comments Melissa wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien.

It is a collection of short stories about a platoon of American soldiers during the Vietnam War."

Excellent choice - National Book Award winner

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I recommend Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand.

message 17: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4534 comments Ashley wrote: "I recommend Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand."

Is this your nomination Ashley? :)

message 18: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4534 comments Thanks for all the nominations guys ^^

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 467 comments I nominate The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West.

Blurb:
Writing her first novel during World War I, West examines the relationship between three women and a soldier suffering from shell-shock. This novel of an enclosed world invaded by public events also embodies in its characters the shifts in England's class structures at the beginning of the twentieth century.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 513 comments I second The Sun Also Rises

message 21: by Kris (last edited Sep 16, 2019 01:18AM) (new)

Kris Flyer (krisflyer13) | 2 comments I'll nominate The Nix by Nathan Hill

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 23 comments Regina wrote: "I nominate The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West.

Blurb:
Writing her first novel during World War I, West examines the relationship between three women and a soldier suffering ..."

YES! I'll 2nd this- always wanted to read it, and it's probably public domain and FREE! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 23: by Alta (new)

Alta | 118 comments I nominate Thank You for My Service.

Veteran Mat Best does not sugarcoat his opinions in his memoir. He gives honest (and sometimes hilarious) insight into his time in the military and as a civilian after his time of service.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Robinson (jessicathebookaddict) | 70 comments Shanka (Shannon) wrote: "I nominate Alan Turing: The Enigma, Alan Turing (1912-1954) was a British Mathematician whom invented the computer and artificial intelligence. Played a major roll in breaking the G..."

I second this!!

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) | 158 comments I would like to nominate - The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

It is a story about a woman who joins the French resistance during Nazi occupation in World War II.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Nolan | 34 comments Ann wrote: "I would like to nominate - The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

It is a story about a woman who joins the French resistance during Nazi occupation in World War II."

I second the Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

message 27: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4534 comments Thanks all! Closing nominations tomorrow and posting poll at the same time since I'm busy this weekend.

message 28: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.