YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Mythic Dream
This topic is about The Mythic Dream
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Mythic Dream by various authors - Starting 5th September 2019

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 46596 comments Mod
These are dreams of classic myths, bold reimaginings of the stories we tell about gods and kings, heroes who shaped nations, the why and how of the world.

Journey with us to the fields of Elysium and the Midwest, through labyrinths and the space between stars. Witness the birth of computerized deities and beasts that own the night. Experience eternal life through curses and biochemistry.

Bringing together stories from the world over, eighteen critically acclaimed and award-winning authors reimagine myths of the past for the world of today, and tomorrow.

janel (liiterary) | 450 comments Starting this now! Really excited to get to the story Naomi Novik wrote for this, but there are a lot of authors I've never read from here, and I hope I find some new favorites c:

janel (liiterary) | 450 comments Seanan McGuire did a really good job of opening this anthology up, in my opinion! Her story wasn't predictable at all, and it took me a while to come to terms with what it was "retelling" because she had a take on it that I wasn't expecting at all.

janel (liiterary) | 450 comments I was really excited about reading Naomi Novik's story in this, and I wasn't disappointed! I think Novik's other work that I've read was more enjoyable for me, but this was a retelling of Ariadne and the Minotaur, and I have always loved that part of greek myth, so I'm not going to complain much. I love Novik's way with words and I think my main thing was I wanted to learn about something new from her, not a new take on something I already knew, if that makes sense.

message 5: by janel (last edited Sep 09, 2019 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

janel (liiterary) | 450 comments Overall, a lot of the myths in this were new to me, and that's really good! I have a desire to look up myths that I'd never learned about when I was younger, and I appreciate this not just being 18 Greek myth retellings - though there are a lot of them, well over 25% are Greek myth explorations.

But there are Hindu, Norse, Latin American, Irish, Native American, and Israeli myths explored here, and I'm happy I got an introduction to them!