Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Scrublands (Martin Scarsden, #1)
This topic is about Scrublands
Group Read - Scrublands > Group Read - Scrublands general discussion No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Our September group book is Chris Hammer's debut novel, Scrublands. Are you planning on reading the book?
We selected it in part because of the setting, Australia, and comparisons to Jane Harper's books which have been popular group reads.
No spoilers on this topic please.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to read this one with the group! :)

message 3: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Danielle: that’s great! I hope to start it later this week!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Started this on audio a couple of days ago. The environment feels familiar but the storyline and MC is very different from Jane Harper.

message 5: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments I should be able to do the summaries for Scrublands. I will start it by the end of the week I hope. 😀

message 6: by OMalleycat (last edited Sep 02, 2019 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

OMalleycat | 1448 comments I’ll be reading it! I want to finish The Last Widow first, but it’s pretty unputdownable so it’s going fast.

Danielle, I saw on another thread that you got Scrublands for 99 cents. I’m jealous! I wanted to be prepared so I got it a few weeks ago at full price. 😿

message 7: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments I've got summaries for the first seven chapters up, what a book so far! I am now listening to the audio, excellent narration.

message 8: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Summaries for chapters 8-14 are up, I am happy to have others join in the discussion. I hope to read through the next set of chapters tomorrow. It's an excellent book!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Thanks Ann. I've been tooling along with the CDs, am on the next to the last one. I'll pop over to the discussion soon,

Patricia Bowen (patriciaannbowen) | 2 comments I read this when it first came out and couldn't put it down.

message 11: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Patricia: I felt the same!
Patricia wrote: "I read this when it first came out and couldn't put it down."

Patricia Bowen (patriciaannbowen) | 2 comments The story was very complex, but despite the intricacy it was so interesting I was able to follow it with ease. I have family in Australia, and one of the reasons I bought Scrublands was to 'revisit' the scene. It was every bit as realistic as I'd hoped it would be.

message 13: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Patricia: Thanks for sharing that the Australian setting and heat/drought conditions are realistically portrayed in the book!

Barbara K | 408 comments Just started this on audio and I’m already trying to squeeze it into every spare minute. I’m curious about how the mc will have fared by the end of the book.

message 15: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Barbara: I also found it very hard to put down! Enjoy! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Barbara wrote: "Just started this on audio and I’m already trying to squeeze it into every spare minute. I’m curious about how the mc will have fared by the end of the book."

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 342 comments Just got it and it's one of two I'll be reading this weekend/week, so hope to get it done by the 15th but may not.

message 17: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Plenty of time to comment after the 15th too, Bonnie! I look forward to your thoughts!

Bonnie wrote: "Just got it and it's one of two I'll be reading this weekend/week, so hope to get it done by the 15th but may not."