Play Book Tag discussion

The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club, #1)
This topic is about The Friday Night Knitting Club
August 2019: 21st Century > Friday Night knitting club | Kate Jacobs

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Idit | 1028 comments I saw this book in my library audio books and thought - hey here's an easy read towards popsugar.
That's the beginning of two reviews, and I can tell you they both didn't end too well

I saw it was quite popular here, but I really really disliked it.
I'm going to spoiler from here on:

It would have been a random 3 star book for me until the ending. (view spoiler)
But here we are with cliche after cliche. very boring characters, each as obvious as the other.
plot devices that have been used again and again.

I'm putting it in 21st century because of the craft clubs that since Stitch & Bitch became very popular.

and If I can do another spoiler - to Tarantino this time - if you haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood don't read:
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments Dang, I read this a LONG time ago-(before I started writing reviews) I remember liking it, but absolutely DO NOT remember your spoilers!

Also, I absolutely LOVED Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6093 comments I see this as being about the Friday Night Knitting Club, the group of women as a collective, one that came together as strangers through love of a craft, supporting each other through all the joys and sorrows of one's life. Not that any one person was the hero.

Since I belong to a stitching group here in NYC, I totally related to the book and thought it an excellent depiction of what such a group is about and provides to each other.

message 4: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 04, 2019 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments Theresa wrote: "I see this as being about the Friday Night Knitting Club, the group of women as a collective, one that came together as strangers through love of a craft, supporting each other through all the joys..."

I belong to a cross-stitch group and I felt the same way. It seemed very believable to me and I enjoyed it - at a 4star level.

Idit | 1028 comments I belonged for few years to a knitting/sewing club (and loved it!) and you are right - it’s pretty accurate, but it did not make me love the book. It felt more like the author is using the knitting club as a trend that can be used for easy formulaic book. .

Idit | 1028 comments Joi, I’m so glad you loved Once Upon a Time. I was walking around dazed by how much I loved it and quite a few friends of mine didn’t agree with me at all

Have you seen the Korean movie Parasite? We just saw it last night in the cinema after everyone was raving about it. It was insane and disturbing and good

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments Really? Everyone I know who has seen it has equally raved. I rarely see movies in theater, and honestly I'm considering seeing it again. Definitely going to "catch more" after knowing the ending.

And no, I haven't seen Parasite. I'm terrible about keeping up with Korean movies. I've wanted to see The Handmaiden FOREVER (supposed to be like top 3 Korean movies), and it's based of Sarah Water's Fingersmith.

Idit | 1028 comments Really? I just read fingersmith. Might have to look for that movie.

Parasite is disturbing but good!
And I actually watched Once Upon a Time with my husband at night and the next morning went spontaneously with friends to see it again. It was even better the second time.

The whole part about Brad Pitt giving pussycat a ride and going to Manson’s place is absolutely brilliant. Like a small western movie inside the movie.
I thought it was done with a lot of love to the three heroes, to LA and to cinema