Play Book Tag discussion

Kindred
This topic is about Kindred
Archive: Other Books > Kindred / Octavia Butler. 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8033 comments 2011 read: 4.5 stars

Dana is a 26-year old black woman married to a white man, Kevin. It is 1976. Suddenly, Dana finds herself on a slave plantation in the early 1800s. How did she get here and how does she get home again? Dana is pulled back and forth in time for varying amounts of time as she tries to figure out what's going on. She seems drawn to a white boy, Rufus, son of the plantation owner. Each time Dana is pulled back in time, she learns more and more about how to literally survive in this time, all the while witnessing and being right in the middle of, the horrors of slavery.

This was really good. I was drawn in right away and when I wasn't reading, I wanted to be. One thing that hadn't occurred to me until I was reading about that part was fitting back in to modern-day society after having been in such a radically different time and place for so long. The descriptions of the treatment of the slaves was horrifying and brought it all terrifyingly to life. This is one that did live up to the hype for me, and it will make my favourites list this year.

2019 reread: 5 stars

It’s not very often that a reread will result in a higher rating from me, but this one has. Maybe I’m just in a higher-rating mood, but wow! Warning: there is a lot of violence in this book, but I feel like that was the reality of slavery. And for a “modern-day” (from the 1970s, when the book was first written) woman to experience it… wow!

I read the 25th anniversary edition of the book (I’m pretty sure the same as I read last time), and I’m going to venture a guess (though it’s more tongue-in-cheek; I don’t really think this is why) that I docked the ½ star due to the boring, academically-written Reader’s Guide – it was kind of like an introduction or afterword to a classic (though I was glad it was in there after the book, not as an introduction – I hate those, since they usually give away some of what happens in the book!).

annapi | 4865 comments Still my favorite opening line of all time!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7122 comments This is one I slashed on my TBR this summer as I was cleaning house.....I have added it back-Great review!

LibraryCin | 8033 comments Joanne wrote: "This is one I slashed on my TBR this summer as I was cleaning house.....I have added it back-Great review!"

Oh no! Don't slash this one!! Glad you added it back in!

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2151 comments I finally got to this a year or two ago and it will remain a favorite for me! I was surprised at how much I loved it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5546 comments I gave it 3.5*** ... but I definitely agree that it belongs on TBR lists.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments This one is on my Trim list. I hope its' number comes up soon!