Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
This topic is about The Valley of Fear
Doyle's Sherlock Holmes > Valley of Fear -- No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle is our New School read for October 2019.

This is the No Spoiler Thread
The Spoiler Thread will open October 1st.

This early posting of the No Spoiler thread is to discuss any non-plot issues pertaining to the book.

Appropriate Posts can contain:
1. Information about the author.
2. Compare editions/translations.
3. Any historical or background information
4. Are you familiar with this author’s work? Do you have any expectations going into the book?
5. What made you decide to read this book?
6. Any fan fiction that you have read or would like to read? Just link the books.
7. If you loved the book and want others to share in that experience, use this thread to motivate others, again save plot specifics for the Spoiler thread
8. If you hated the book, it would be best to keep that for the spoiler page

The most important thing to remember is no plot discussion. Any post that contains plot information or spoilers will be deleted.

message 2: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2806 comments Mod
I am rather new to the Holmes canon. This year I have read The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. With my limited experience I prefer the short stories to the novels. Any comments?

Rosemarie | 1543 comments I found the book interesting because it was set in the United States instead of England for the main part of the book.

message 4: by Christine (last edited Sep 01, 2019 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 1216 comments Lynn wrote: "With my limited experience I prefer the short stories to the novels. Any comments? "

I've previously read five Sherlock Holmes books, and just finished The Hound of the Baskervilles in the past week. Generally speaking, I agree that I tend to prefer the story collections. I did really enjoy The Hound of the Baskervilles though.

I'm hoping to read The Return of Sherlock Holmes in September and then be ready to join the group read of The Valley of Fear in October.

message 5: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2806 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Lynn wrote: "With my limited experience I prefer the short stories to the novels. Any comments? "

I've previously read five Sherlock Holmes books, and just finished [book:The Hound of the Baskervi..."

I also really liked Hound of the Baskervilles. I am looking forward to Valley of Fear.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 427 comments Lynn wrote: "I am rather new to the Holmes canon. This year I have read The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. With my limited experience I prefer the short..."

I prefer the short stories also, although I thought Valley of Fear was very good as was Hound of the Baskervilles.

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Do any of you think that a certain book or story needs to be read before this book?

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1429 comments Not really.

A Study in Scarlet is the first Sherlock Holmes story where Holmes and Watson meet.

Spoiler tag here: If you know the short stories well and not The Valley of Fear, there is a tiny spoiler here: The Valley of Fear was written many years after (view spoiler) originally introduced a character. But it is not important.

Basically all the stories are stand alone. The Empty House (short story) may be the only exception.

George P. | 522 comments I've read a lot of books but this is my first Sherlock Holmes. I just wasn't interested. The incentive of it being a monthly group book (and a short one) persuaded me. I have read and enjoyed four Agatha Christie novels.
Valley of Fear is constructed in two parts, and I've just finished the first and look forward to the second. I expect to finish in the next week.
I was interested to learn that the cape and "deerstalker" hat that Holmes was portrayed with in the old films was never described in Doyle's novels.