Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
Monthly Reading: Discussion > September 2019 American Gods (No spoilers, please!)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kateblue | 3780 comments Mod
Please comment with no spoilers here.

message 2: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3726 comments Mod
Thank you for starting the thread. I read this novel about ten years ago and plan to re-read it with the group

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 4 stars

No prob. It had been Sept 1 for an hour or so here, and I am Eastern Daylight time zone US, so I did it.

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 4 stars

No prob. It had been Sept 1 for an hour or so here, and I am Eastern Daylight time zone US, so I did it.

I don't know if I will get to this because I have too many other things to read. I will read them first and then restart American Gods in the middle where I quit the last time. I remember exactly where that was. And Kindles help with that!

message 5: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 802 comments I read American Gods something like a decade ago, and my memories are a bit hazy, but I'll see if I have anything to contribute to the discussion.

Not going to re-read, since I have too many other things to read right now.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments Ditto what Antti said for me.

Rebecca | 97 comments I'm also of the already read it camp, and I did a reread before the series came out, so not re-reading either (I'm not done with my August list!) there is something I'm curious about that I'll ask in the spoiler thread.

message 8: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 5 stars

All people have read it than who voted for it? :)

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 4 stars

:-) well. there were many more votes than those of us who are talking now. . . and I was about 1/2 through on a reread last year when life interfered . . .

message 10: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 129 comments I read maybe a third of this many years ago and stopped because I wasn't interested. It has such a good reputation that I'm going to give it another try. We'll see how it goes.

message 11: by Kalin (new) - added it

Kalin | 700 comments I voted for it. It's been on my TBR pile since February but its size is intimidating! So this will be the kick in the pants I need.

message 12: by Sylvie Helen (new)

Sylvie Helen (thetbrdiaries) | 3 comments I voted for it lol, it's on my shelf ready to go but I don't think I'll get to it this week... I'm looking forward to it although Neil Gaiman has been a bit of a mixed bag for me before so I'm also a little wary of it.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments Neil Gaiman has also been a mixed bag for me. American Gods was one of his best IMHO. But the mythical traditions he draws on are from around the world, brought to America by immigrants and enslaved persons, so don't expect a coherent pantheon.

message 14: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin | 693 comments Rebecca wrote: "I'm also of the already read it camp, and I did a reread before the series came out, so not re-reading either ..."

Ditto. I have only read the related book Anansi Boys one time, and I loved it, so maybe I'll re-read that someday. But not now.

message 15: by Kalin (new) - added it

Kalin | 700 comments Cynthia wrote: "Neil Gaiman has also been a mixed bag for me. American Gods was one of his best IMHO. But the mythical traditions he draws on are from around the world, brought to America by immigrants and enslave..."

Hasn't Gaiman also said in interviews and such that he strictly focused on primarily European immigrant mythologies because he didn't feel he could do justice to those from other cultures and traditions? (saying this as someone who hasn't started the book yet)

message 16: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 05, 2019 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The thing about this book that I remember is, that I really liked it, all of it, but that it seemed longer than it needed to be. As I started my reread a year or so ago, it struck me again that it doesn't seem repetitive, like it's telling you stuff over an over as so many books do. Instead, it just seems--measured. If that makes sense.

Caitlin O'Neill (ktdid42) | 102 comments i got started a bit late on this book but I'm about halfway through and I'm really liking it so far. i gave up on Synners i just couldnt get into it.

message 18: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 129 comments I'm almost three-quarters done. Is the answer to the question "Why did Wednesday choose Shadow to be his errand boy?" a spoiler beyond the beginning of the book? I've been wondering for a while.

message 19: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan wrote: "I'm almost three-quarters done. Is the answer to the question "Why did Wednesday choose Shadow to be his errand boy?" a spoiler beyond the beginning of the book? I've been wondering for a while."

The answer is at the end, so yes, spoilery

message 20: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 129 comments Thanks

message 21: by Kalin (new) - added it

Kalin | 700 comments Still haven't started, I'm committed to finishing The Windup Girl before starting this, so I may be missing this monthly read.

message 22: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 23, 2019 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kalin, American Gods is one of those books that is well worth reading but long. So it may not fit into September for you. But even if it doesn't, when you get to it, come back and discuss. This happens in this group sometimes, and it's always fun to have someone catch up.

I get completing what you are reading first because I still have not finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I put it down in August to read other things and have never gotten back to it.

message 23: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 2551 comments Mod
American Gods makes me understand why everyone loves Gaiman that much. It drew me in and even though I'm only 15% in I'm enjoying it already.

I'm reading the anniversary edition, it apparently has 4,000 words that did not make it into the original publication (the complete version is the one he likes the most). Also I never knew but apparently he stopped cutting his hair and shaving until the moment he finished writing it!

message 24: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Will probably have to reread it at some point because I'm fairly certain that many references go straight over my head.
I'm pretty sure that I got who Mr.Wednesday is and the leprechaun references failed to slip past me (/flex), but there were other times where it was clear that there was a "there" there and it was just as clear that I want getting it, hehe.

If anybody has any clues or comments regarding their finds feel free to share here or in the spoiler thread. I'm at 30% now.

Rebecca | 97 comments I'd be happy to identify anyone you're struggling with. Will watch for the spoiler thread or message me

message 26: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I hate giving this book 3 stars, it was a 3.5 read for me but I had to take off a few points for the pet peeves that I couldn't get past.

Also it seemed heavily inspired by Pratchett's Small Gods and some Zelazny. I'm looking forward to read something by Gaiman that has his own voice and character, he is an amazing author it's just there is always something off for my tastes.

message 27: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Art wrote: "I hate giving this book 3 stars, it was a 3.5 read for me but I had to take off a few points for the pet peeves that I couldn't get past. "

Post why in spoilers, please!