Stephen King Fans discussion

The Eyes of the Dragon
This topic is about The Eyes of the Dragon
2nd Round of King Books > Eyes of the Dragon book 20

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Hello all. We are on book 20 and it's The Eyes of the Dragon. Discuss here please mark all spoilers.

Wyatt | 87 comments Great book

Melissa | 1 comments This is the book that got me into Stephen King....my gateway book! I love this book!

Chris | 1 comments I owned this for years and only just read it a year or so back after completing The Dark Tower series. I must say I did enjoy it and look forward to seeing the TV series

James (lordgil) | 6 comments I have never done a group read and am excited about joining in here. Not sure how this works but I have started the book. Do we all read at a certain pace or on our own?

Kandice | 3915 comments James wrote: "I have never done a group read and am excited about joining in here. Not sure how this works but I have started the book. Do we all read at a certain pace or on our own?"

We all read at our own pace and post our thoughts here. People chime in as they go. The threads stay active forever, so you can always go back and peruse threads for old group reads too.

Emiliano Rolon | 1 comments This is a great book, I read it when I was 16 yerars old, and it was exciting, I realized that stephen king can write other books than horror. I loved it.

message 8: by Lindsay (new) - added it

Lindsay | 1 comments My first taste of Stephen King was this book. Love it!

message 9: by James (last edited Sep 01, 2019 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James (lordgil) | 6 comments Kandice wrote: "James wrote: "I have never done a group read and am excited about joining in here. Not sure how this works but I have started the book. Do we all read at a certain pace or on our own?"

We all read..."

Thanks Kandice - good to know. I have read about to 80 pages and love the plot and style.

Kandice | 3915 comments I don't remember if I mentioned this in the thread before, but King's portrayal (is that the right word?) of Trixie is so incredibly realistic to me. Not only can he get into the minds and hearts of children and women, and women, but animals as well. Cujo and Big Steve are two others he does justice, but there are many.

message 11: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Loved this book so much. It was one of my first King books and was just so magical for me.

James (lordgil) | 6 comments Have just started this book and love it. It reads like a grownup fairy tale.

Steve Center | 18 comments This was not my first book by King but it was the first book I owned by him. I got it for Christmas and a couple weeks later there was a snow storm, a real blizzard, and school was cancelled. I stayed in my room and read it all that day. Had the radio on and this one song played over and over. I still associated the two all these years later. That day I was introduced to Flagg and he scared the hell out of me.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments This and The Body are some of the best sleepers in King's collection, I think. Eyes of the Dragon is delightful and if you haven't listened to the audiobook read by Bronson Pinchot, I highly recommend it. He did a great job.

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (marke_) | 91 comments This is the first time I'm reading it. So far I'm not loving the narration style but the story is slowly growing on me. I literally feel like I'm a kid laying in bed and being told a story by Uncle Stevie. Trying to keep telling myself that at least it's fairly short and I'll get through it quick.

I could see this style lending well to audiobook format though for sure.

Kandice | 3915 comments Steve wrote: "This was not my first book by King but it was the first book I owned by him. I got it for Christmas and a couple weeks later there was a snow storm, a real blizzard, and school was cancelled. I sta..."

What song?

Kandice | 3915 comments Summer wrote: "This and The Body are some of the best sleepers in King's collection, I think. Eyes of the Dragon is delightful and if you haven't listened to the audiobook read by Bronson Pinchot, I highly recomm..."

I am a sucker for a well read audiobook, so now I'll need to listen as well. Thanks! ;-)

message 18: by Teodora (new) - added it

Teodora Stoyanova (goodreadscomfendergirl) | 2 comments My favorite fairy tale. I first found and read it when I was 18 and loved it and then I had the urge to reread it again last year -14 years later. One of my favorite Stephen King books.

Steve Center | 18 comments "Tennessee Flat Box Top" by Rosanne Cash. Heard it the other day and started thinking about King.

Kandice | 3915 comments Steve wrote: ""Tennessee Flat Box Top" by Rosanne Cash. Heard it the other day and started thinking about King."

Awwww, that's perfect, although, I'm older than you so that will always be her dad's song for me.

Steve Center | 18 comments Nice

message 22: by Scott (last edited Sep 07, 2019 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott | 103 comments Hi Group Members,

I have finished reading this month's book - "The Eyes of the Dragon" - and posted my review at the following link for those who are interested in reading it:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

It's funny, I read this book when it first came out over 30 years ago and struggled a bit in reading it because i found it a bit slow. I was much younger then, newly married, and in college. Now, I am much older and a grandfather, which somehow seems to make me much more reflective in my reviews. I don't know if that is good or not, but as Uncle Stevie says - "Fiction is the truth inside the lie"

To good reading everyone - enjoy!

Kandice | 3915 comments Scott wrote: "Hi Group Members,

I have finished reading this month's book - "The Eyes of the Dragon" - and posted my review at the following link for those who are interested in reading it:

https://www.goodrea..."

Great review!

Scott | 103 comments Thank you!

message 25: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments I read this a couple of years ago and wrote a review giving it only 3 stars (pretty harsh for one of my KING reviews.) Anyway, here's my last paragraph which sums up my feelings.

"The book is a little slow, but it has enough surprises to hold your attention. The tone is perfect for kids and for adults who can get themselves into the right mindset. The characters are not the usual multi-dimensional blockbusters that King is famous for, except for Thomas, who has had such bad luck he turns out conflicted and therein lies a least some of the tale."

message 26: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Kandice wrote: "Scott wrote: "Hi Group Members,

https..."

I agree, Kandice, great review, Scott.

message 27: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments BTW: The book I think that really does this right (he repeated) is THE RETURN OF KING LILLIAN. Which is a bit of a feminist take on THE KINGS NEW CLOTHES. I highly recommend it. Here's my review of that book. Check it out. Since it was written by an actress, the audiobook is really a great performance.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 959 comments I have to admit although pretty good, it isn't his best work. I can see maybe kids liking it.

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments Nick wrote: "The tone is perfect for kids and for adults who can get themselves into the right mindset."

I think that's exactly what I loved about this book. King spends a lot of time thinking about the magic of childhood through the eyes of adults, but he just went full on KID FUN WHOO! with this one and I think his enjoyment came through the page.

message 30: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3947 comments Summer wrote: "Nick wrote: "The tone is perfect for kids and for adults who can get themselves into the right mindset."

I think that's exactly what I loved about this book. King spends a lot of time thinking abo..."

That's a great line, BTW Summer. If writers' enjoyment can come through the page, they've really done something and it's fun for everyone.

Scott | 103 comments Thank you Nick!

message 32: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (thwompthing) | 13 comments I might have to break the rules and start The Institute and Flight or Fright tonight :) I am DYING to read Institute after how good The Outsider was. King is still the horror master!

Scott | 103 comments I am starting it tonight too. You are not alone!!!

message 34: by Mark (last edited Sep 19, 2019 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (marke_) | 91 comments I'm only 50% through Dragon and I'm not loving it. It's fine but I'm having a hard time staying engaged. I'm only able to read at night before bed for about an hour and I'm finding myself only reading maybe 10 pages before putting it down again, then it'll be a couple of days before I pick it back up, so it's a very slow go for me.

Wyatt | 87 comments I am reading Dark Tower for the first time, and caught the references to Flagg and Dennis in The Drawing if The Three.

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (marke_) | 91 comments Finished this yesterday while I was on a plane. I still had to push my way through it as this was shaping up to be a 2-star book for me. In the end, I'm marking it 2.9 stars (rounding to 3) as I enjoyed the climax of the story as well as the Dark Tower connections.

I think I just didn't know what to expect with this one. Clearly not horror, nor really a thriller. The characters were not relatable for me and didn't have much depth.

I'm glad I read it though, despite my struggles to stay engaged. With such a large library of work to get through, not every single one is going to be a home run. I probably would have loved this a lot more as a kid. I would certainly recommend this to a teen looking to get into "grown up" novels.

Oscar | 30 comments I read this book for this thread and ooops, I forgot to comment.

Anyways, I am pretty late with this book since this was my first time reading it and I didn't know too much about it until a few years ago when I read that it was more of a fantasy than anything else.

It is different from other books King wrote around that time or since, and in terms of writing style, it does seem written for children or a YA readership. With that being said, since I do read YA books on occasion, I think I was able to easily get into the mindset needed to read this book (largely by reading it with my inner child so to speak) and enjoyed it.

The story is fantasy, and the themes, not to mention the narrator's voice, gave it a fairy tale feel. I think the largest strengths of this novel are the characters and the fact that beneath the fantasy there is a real sense of darkness (thanks to Flagg and some of the turmoil some of the characters are facing).

Not my favorite style of King to be sure, but certainly a solid read that obviously came from his love of fantasy that he read as a youngster.

Marlise (mawz76) | 119 comments I thought this was great and it was a refreshing fun read. I enjoyed it from start to finish, and it had me thinking about it during the times I wasn't reading and wondering what was going to happen next.