Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > November 2019

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 649 comments Mod
Hello, everyone! It's time for November nominations! There is no theme. Books we haven't read in the past two years are eligible for nomination. They must be written by a woman, at least 50 years old, and please let me know if you can lead. Nominations ends September 15th.
If you're not sure if your book has previously been read please consult our bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Looking forward to your nominations!

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Sep 01, 2019 08:51PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 351 comments Could I nominate Oroonoko and Other Writings or even just Oroonoko.

From my copy's blurb;

Acclaimed by Virginia Woolf as the first English woman to earn her living by the pen, Behn's achievements as a writer are now acknowledged less equivocally.

I can lead.

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1112 comments Mod
My pick is East Lynne. I can lead.

message 4: by Charlene (new)

Another week for nominations!

message 5: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Your nomination definitely looks interesting, Carol.

I'd like to nominate The Mill Mystery by Anna Katharine Green(e?). We read her most well-known work a couple years back and I really love her writing! I've read some of her shorter stories since. I feel like this would be a nice cozy read for this time of the year.

Oh yes, also I can lead.

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 185 comments The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton. Published in 1922. (Available for free, I checked.) I can lead.

message 7: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Aaaaaaand the winner for November is...... *drum roll*

The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton! Thank you to everyone who participated and voted!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 351 comments Anastasia Kinderman wrote: "Aaaaaaand the winner for November is...... *drum roll*

The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton! Thank you to everyone who participated and voted!"

Oooh good choice! I'll see if I can get hold of it. :)

message 9: by Charlene (new)

I picked up an e-book copy but it doesn't look like I will get to this until the second half of the month.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 193 comments I'm excited for this one! My library has a paper copy, but I may not get to it for a few weeks either.

message 11: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 185 comments Amazon in the US has a free Kindle copy:
https://www.amazon.com/Glimpses-Moon-...

I also picked up a paper copy at the library. I'm in the middle of a slow read but I should be ready to start by November.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 351 comments Marilyn wrote: "

I also picked up a paper copy..."

I'm excited for this one. I'm expecting to be able to start on the first. :)

message 13: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Charlene wrote: "I picked up an e-book copy but it doesn't look like I will get to this until the second half of the month."

Same for me.

message 14: by Charlene (new)

Anastasia Kinderman wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I picked up an e-book copy but it doesn't look like I will get to this until the second half of the month."

Same for me."

I just luck out and my book club is now in December instead of November so I can read this before reading the book club book.

message 15: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 185 comments Discussion threads needed: Non-Spoiler, Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

Thanks!

message 16: by Charlene (new)

I can get the other two threads up when I get to work.

message 17: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Charlene wrote: "Anastasia Kinderman wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I picked up an e-book copy but it doesn't look like I will get to this until the second half of the month."

Same for me."

I just luck out and my book ..."

I love it when things work out like that!