Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Addicted (Addicted #1)
This topic is about Addicted
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Addicted - Charlotte Featherstone

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariana (last edited Aug 31, 2019 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2251 comments Addicted (Addicted #1) by Charlotte Featherstone Addicted by Charlotte Featherstone

Friends since childhood, Anais Darnby and Lindsay Markham have long harbored a secret passion for one another. When they finally confess their love, their future together seems assured, sealed with their searing embrace.

But when a debauched Lindsay is seduced by a scheming socialite, a devastated Anais seeks refuge in another man's bed while Lindsay retreats to the exotic East. There, he is seduced again—this time by the alluring red smoke and sinister beauty of opium.

Back home, Lindsay's addiction is fed by the vogue for all things Oriental—especially its sensual pleasures—in fashionable London society. In his lucid moments, Lindsay still lusts after Anais, who can neither allow him near nor forget his smoldering touch. Tortured by two obsessions—opium and Anais—Lindsay must ultimately decide which is the one he truly cannot live without.

message 2: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I'm going to stalk this thread and give it a go if it seems safe enough to read :D

Mariana | 2251 comments I can't start reading as soon as tomorrow, but I will begin after I complete the book of the month.

message 4: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath | 269 comments I'd love to join in as I've had this book on my shelf for a while. Never done a BR before. Should I start reading now, or is there a reading schedule I should follow?

Mariana | 2251 comments You may start reading whenever you are ready. When you post your thoughts, let us know what chapter they are about and use the spoiler tag when necessary.

I think both Darbella and Andrea have already begun. I have it on hold at the library, but it is not ready to pick up yet. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to start until next week.

message 6: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath | 269 comments Mariana wrote: "You may start reading whenever you are ready. When you post your thoughts, let us know what chapter they are about and use the spoiler tag when necessary.

I think both Darbella and Andrea have alr..."

Okay, thanks!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I’m off from work today, so I’m doing some reading today.

There’s no danger of me zipping through and finishing this today. I’m not a book-a-day girl.

Mariana | 2251 comments Ladies, sorry for dragging my feet. The library hold I put on a couple weeks ago is still not ready for pick up. If it's not in by next weekend, I'll purchase an electronic copy.

How far in are each of you?

message 9: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath | 269 comments I've read the prologue and Chapt 1. I'm happy to wait however long it takes for the group to get ready to read...I've got tons of other HR I need to read!

Mariana | 2251 comments Thanks Cath! :)

Mariana | 2251 comments Just received an email that I can pick up the book from the library tomorrow, so I plan to start reading then.

Mariana | 2251 comments I read the prologue and chapter one over lunch today. I may read more this evening if I have time.

I thought the prologue was both beautifully written and intriguing.

Darbella, I read both your spoilers and agree. Not what I was expecting thus far.

Lindsay may not yet be physically dependant, but he is definitely mentally addicted. Mental addiction can and probably is much stronger than not only what he will admit but even realizes. I look forward to learning more about both Lindsay and Anais. I think they may have some painful experiences common between them.

Mariana | 2251 comments Well, I didn't have time to read last night and I forgot to take the book with me to work today. I plan to read a couple more chapters tomorrow.

message 14: by Mariana (last edited Sep 13, 2019 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2251 comments I read chapter 3 today.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath | 269 comments I'm a few pages into chapt 3; should be able to get more read today and will be back later with some comments!

message 16: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath | 269 comments Okay I made it thru chapter 7.

I totally agree with all comments above! Bumpy is a good way to describe my reading experience. Some of the writing, certain chapters or sections, flow very well for me; mostly ones where the H/h are not interacting with each other, but rather with side characters. For instance I liked the passages where we first see H talking to his father, and later where H is talking with his friend Lord Willoughby. Loved the passage where we first see H talking to his valet and really liked learning about his character in terms of his democratic impulses when it comes to helping the common man. Also liked passage where h is talking to her sister. Another thing I really liked reading about h's mother in first few chapts (view spoiler)

But, the scenes where H/h are interacting, or scenes with a lot of dramatic action come across to me as very choppy, and often the dialogue seems unnatural (too choppy, or maybe over-the-top, or caricature-like). For ex chapt 2 (view spoiler)

Totally agree with comments about their ages. Also in chapt 1 (view spoiler)

For me, overall so far I think there's been way too much telling about their thoughts and feelings, and not enough showing. And I'm not talking about showing signs of lust or desire, but rather scenes that show me how much they are drawn to each other emotionally. So at this point I'm not invested in them as a couple and haven't found the erotic scenes erotic, for that reason.

message 17: by Mariana (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2251 comments I am through chapter 7.

Cath, I also liked the passage where h is talking to her sister. Her younger sister seems kind and loving, like Anais herself, but more conventionally beautiful.

I find the dynamic between the three male friends--H , Willoughby, and Broughton interesting. I have a suspicion about what happened over the 10-month gap but not 100% sure. I find it odd that Anais was a 27 year old virgin spinster at the beginning of the story. She certainly has people (men and sister) who care about her well-being.

Mariana | 2251 comments Another thing that doesn't seem to fit for me is the H and h ages. I know there are immature and irresponsible people in their 30s and 40s, but these two's behavior patterns seem more in line with 22 and 24 than 28 and 30 to me.

About to read some more.

message 19: by Cath (new) - added it

Cath | 269 comments Haven't read past chapt 7 yet; will read some more tomorrow

As far as that 10 month gap goes, I suspect (view spoiler)

I absolutely don't understand why Anais is the age she is in this story. I mean 27 is pretty darn old for a virginal HR heroine. I get that she has a few issues with her looks, but clearly other men find her attractive and she could have attracted proposals from some of them. Nor is her personality off-putting. So I can only guess it's b/c she's had her heart set on Lindsay and decided no one else would ever do. But if that's the case, then for me to find that scenario believable the author should have spent more time establishing how strong her devotion was to Lindsay, even if not reciprocated. Instead, I just got the impression that she was attracted to him, but figured he'd never return her feelings. There was nothing to give me the impression that she had made a vow that she'd never be with another man if she couldn't be with Lindsay.

Also, in Chapt 7 I really found the last bit somewhat ridiculous(view spoiler)

Mariana | 2251 comments Cath, regarding your first spoiler,(view spoiler)

I completely agree that the last part of chapter 7 was rediculous and contrived.

I am through chapter 10 now. I will wait to post thoughts and read more until tomorrow.

Mariana | 2251 comments I read chapters 11 and 12 today.

(view spoiler)

Mariana | 2251 comments Andrea, have you started reading?

Cath, I'm gonna pause reading until you are through chapter 12.

Darbella, I thought you commented after me. Did I imagine that, or did you delete it? Lol

I just want to finish by the end of the month, so we have time. Not a book that is so engaging I don't want to put it down.

Mariana | 2251 comments Darbella wrote: "For once I did not delete so I checked my comments my last comment on this thread was above you. Yesterday though I was doing a sinful review that disappeared so I wonder if I put the review here a..."

I HATE it when I lose a review. Most of the time I just give up and don't even post one.

I know I'm only partway through, but I haven't been emotionally invested enough to care about the sucker punches. Not a sign of great writing, but I am not fair. I am more likely to rate a book 1 or 2 stars if I get really angry.

Mariana | 2251 comments I have not read any more yet, but I do plan to finish by the end of this month.

Mariana | 2251 comments I totally missed my goal and did not finish by the end of September. I suppose that says a lot. I do plan to finish reading, and it will have to be by next Thursday the 10th since it will be due back at the library.

Mariana | 2251 comments Oh, I'm sure there's gonna be some ranting going on!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I’m going to work on it (reading) this weekend, since I don’t have to work.

I’ve been so sleepy after work for the past three days, and was only able to read a little bit.

I don’t know if I’ll get to finish, but I’ll work on it. 😉

Mariana | 2251 comments How far are you? I think reading this weekend is a great idea! I won't get any more read tonight.

Mariana | 2251 comments Chapter 21: (view spoiler)

Ain't that the truth!

Mariana | 2251 comments Chapter 25: (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2251 comments I finished! I also rated it 3 stars, but I usually will only reread 5 star books. For me, unless it is a debut, if my introduction to an author is 3 stars, I don't read any more.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Addicted (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlotte Featherstone (other topics)