Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Huntress
This topic is about The Huntress
Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > The Huntress - November 4th

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 5872 comments Mod
Susanne and I plan to read The Huntress by Kate Quinn in November. We will discuss a start date when it gets closer. Everyone is welcome to join, just pop in. Please use spoiler tags as needed.

The Huntress by Kate Quinn

From the author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling novel, The Alice Network, comes another fascinating historical novel about a battle-haunted English journalist and a Russian female bomber pilot who join forces to track the Huntress, a Nazi war criminal gone to ground in America.

In the aftermath of war, the hunter becomes the hunted…

Bold, reckless Nina Markova grows up on the icy edge of Soviet Russia, dreaming of flight and fearing nothing. When the tide of war sweeps over her homeland, she gambles everything to join the infamous Night Witches, an all-female night bomber regiment wreaking havoc on Hitler’s eastern front. But when she is downed behind enemy lines and thrown across the path of a lethal Nazi murderess known as the Huntress, Nina must use all her wits to survive.

British war correspondent Ian Graham has witnessed the horrors of war from Omaha Beach to the Nuremberg Trials. He abandons journalism after the war to become a Nazi hunter, yet one target eludes him: the Huntress. Fierce, disciplined Ian must join forces with brazen, cocksure Nina, the only witness to escape the Huntress alive. But a shared secret could derail their mission, unless Ian and Nina force themselves to confront it.

Seventeen-year-old Jordan McBride grows up in post WWII Boston, determined despite family opposition to become a photographer. At first delighted when her long-widowed father brings home a fiancée, Jordan grows increasingly disquieted by the soft-spoken German widow who seems to be hiding something. Armed only with her camera and her wits, Jordan delves into her new stepmother’s past and slowly realizes there are mysteries buried deep in her family. But Jordan’s search for the truth may threaten all she holds dear.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm really looking forward to this one! I loved The Alice Network by this author.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm really looking forward to this one! I loved The Alice Network by this author."
Me too

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 2010 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I'm really looking forward to this one! I loved The Alice Network by this author."

Me too and I really liked this one.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi everyone! We haven't picked a start date for this book yet other than November. When would you all like to read it? My hold came in, so my vote would be for the beginning of November before I need to return it.

message 6: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've already read it but just make sure you leave enough time before you have to return it. This one is a bit longer than the Alice network. :)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I am open to whenever in November I own the book and will be slowly reading it.

Connie Wisniewski | 110 comments I read The Huntress and it was wonderful. I learned that you should not trust a stranger from a strange land. Susanne you will not read it slowly. The book grabs you and you won't nt to put it down.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanes wrote: "I've already read it but just make sure you leave enough time before you have to return it. This one is a bit longer than the Alice network. :)"

Thanks for the tip. :)

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) wrote: "I am open to whenever in November I own the book and will be slowly reading it."

Ok, how about we start on the 4th?

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Connie wrote: "I read The Huntress and it was wonderful. I learned that you should not trust a stranger from a strange land. Susanne you will not read it slowly. The book grabs you and you won't nt to put it down."

Even if it good i still will read it slowly I am in several challenges and this one is a fun read for me. Challenge books are a priority.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Marythios (AkaSusanne ) wrote: "I am open to whenever in November I own the book and will be slowly reading it."

Ok, how about we start on the 4th?"

That sounds good.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susanne are you ready to start? I've listened to the first chapter and it draws you in. I was surprised that (view spoiler)

I've just started chapter 2 and met Ian. It looks like he (view spoiler) This should be good.

I hope to read a little more today. :)

message 14: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can't answer your spoilers yet but I'm glad you like it so far.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Susanne are you ready to start? I've listened to the first chapter and it draws you in. I was surprised that [spoilers removed]

I've just started chapter 2 and met Ian. It looks like he [spoilers ..."

Yeah I am ready to start.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I made it up to chapter 6 Nina today. I have questions, but I think I need to pay better attention. I've been pretty distracted, so my focus hasn't been great.

end of chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Jenna | 85 comments I started this a few days ago so I’d like to join in on the buddy read. Sorry for bailing on the one a few months ago, Susanne. I went through a major reading slump and didn’t read anything for a few months.

I really like this one so far. All the characters POVs are interesting and I’m eager to see where they go.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad to have you join us, Jenna!

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Ok I am planning on reading the book but already behind I had a real busy day. I will not get to it until tomorrow.

message 20: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie wrote: "I made it up to chapter 6 Nina today. I have questions, but I think I need to pay better attention. I've been pretty distracted, so my focus hasn't been great.

end of chapter 5 [spoilers removed]"

I didn't have a problem with that. It was another era. Honor and men/women relationships were very different.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

True, Savanes. I didn't mean that I couldn't actually believe it. It's believable. I just meant it more like, "I can't believe it's November already." That kind of I can't believe it. lol

message 22: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie wrote: "True, Savanes. I didn't mean that I couldn't actually believe it. It's believable. I just meant it more like, "I can't believe it's November already." That kind of I can't believe it. lol"

Lol my bad!

message 23: by Marythios (AkaSusanne ) (last edited Nov 06, 2019 08:52PM) (new) - added it

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I am reading this book but slowly I am on page 15 I started it yesterday. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 07, 2019 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm in chapter 10 (18%) (view spoiler)

message 25: by Marythios (AkaSusanne ) (last edited Nov 07, 2019 03:17PM) (new) - added it

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I normally read faster but I am reading The Institute and it is that good that is all i have to say. I need to return it on Saturday to library so I am finishing it up. If I do not finish it will probably be awhile before i get access to it again. I hope others pick it up. Also it should win in horror. It is that good.

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

In chapter 14 (26%) (view spoiler)

Looking forward to reading more.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne, please make sure the spoilers don't show up in your replies. It's such an annoying glitch on Goodreads, but you need to physically delete the spoiler part if it opens when you hit reply. I just replace the spoiler part with [spoilers removed], but as long as you delete the part that's supposed to be hidden it's fine.

I'm looking forward to reading The Institute. I put that one aside to read this one, but hope to get to it soon. I own that one and have to return this one to the library next week, so this one gets priority from me! No worries and take your time.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Suzanne, please make sure the spoilers don't show up in your replies. It's such an annoying glitch on Goodreads, but you need to physically delete the spoiler part if it opens when you hit reply. I..."

Totally opposite for me I own the Huntress and checked out the institute.

Jenna | 85 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm in chapter 10 (18%) "

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm in chapter 21 at 39% (view spoiler)

message 31: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Kristie about your spoiler. I totally (view spoiler)

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, Savanes. I thought they were an interesting group of women. I knew (view spoiler)

I've read to 55%, in chapter 30. (view spoiler)

I am going to have to read a lot today and tomorrow because the book is due back at the library tomorrow evening and I want to finish it.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just came across this article today! I read a little bit of it, but didn’t have time to really delve into it, so I figured I’d put it here.

https://www.history.com/news/meet-the...

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I am still here just have a lot going on in my life.

Jenna | 85 comments Kristie wrote: "Just came across this article today! I read a little bit of it, but didn’t have time to really delve into it, so I figured I’d put it here.

https://www.history.com/news/meet-the......"

Thanks for sharing this, Kristie. It's super interesting, I had no idea women were allowed to serve at the front for the Soviet Union before this book. Seems like these women were pretty bada**, it's too bad they didn't get the recognition they deserved after the war.

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) wrote: "I am still here just have a lot going on in my life."

No worries. My book is due back tonight, so I need to finish. Hope everything is ok.

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Thanks for sharing this, Kristie. It's super interesting, I had no idea women were allowed to serve at the front for the Soviet Union before this book. Seems like these women were pretty bada**, it's too bad they didn't get the recognition they deserved after the war."

Yes, they were! I know. They received such little recognition that many of us didn't know about them at all. This seems to be a trend throughout history. I've noticed quite a few books that have come out recently about significant groups of women in history that went mostly unnoticed until a book brought their achievements into the light.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished it!! One hour before it was due to be returned. Phew! So glad I got to finish. I really love Kate Quinn's writing.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Marythios (AkaSusanne ) wrote: "I am still here just have a lot going on in my life."

No worries. My book is due back tonight, so I need to finish. Hope everything is ok."

Not really in the midst of a divorce and at times it has gotten ugily.

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, I'm so sorry, Susanne. That's always difficult. Make sure to take care of yourself as best you can at this time. Hugs

Jenna | 85 comments I finished as well and I really enjoyed it.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 14, 2019 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

My thought is that (view spoiler)

Did you read The Alice Network? If so, did you notice that (view spoiler)

message 43: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie wrote: "If so, did you notice that "

I did and I loved that "inner joke".

message 44: by Bub (new) - added it

Bub | 49 comments I’m not there yet, but looking forward to that part! 😊

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Ok so I have not posted much but I have been reading the book and I am almost done. I read some of Kristie's spoilers and I agree with what you have said.

message 46: by Vicki Willis (new) - added it

Vicki Willis | 822 comments My hold came in from the library, so I have this one now. I am already reading a hist. fiction (The Dressmaker's Gift) right now so I need to finish that one first before I start another in the same genre.
I am eager to read everyone's spoilers though!

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, yay! Hope you love it, Vicki. I thought it was excellent.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments Jenna wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Just came across this article today! I read a little bit of it, but didn’t have time to really delve into it, so I figured I’d put it here.

https://www.history.com/news/meet-the-n..."

They were in such dire straits they couldn't turn any one away. Also, remember when the first woman astronaut went up compared to first US woman astronaut. The Soviets in many ways were more progressive than the US was. I think they probably had women in other careers as well.