Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Slasher/Deranged Killer

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
What are your favorite stories that fall in the Slasher/Deranged Killer sub-genre?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 3 comments I'm presently reading the last book of the Fourth Monkey trilogy. And this trilogy is definitely full of deranged killer and it's really a great read. Barker is a genius!

I recommend it to all readers of thrillers and detective stories.

The Sixth Wicked Child (4MK Thriller, #3) by J.D. Barker The Sixth Wicked Child by J.D. Barker

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1600 comments Not sure about favorite, but Dean Koontz scared the heck out of me with Intensity. At one point, I had to put the book down, and I didn't pick it up again for several days.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 715 comments Randy wrote: "Not sure about favorite, but Dean Koontz scared the heck out of me with Intensity. At one point, I had to put the book down, and I didn't pick it up again for several days."

Somehow I missed that book in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s when I went through my Koontz phase. I’m going to have to read this one.

message 5: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Slob by Rex Miller Slob

message 6: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 01, 2019 01:13PM) (new)

message 7: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2699 comments A comedic approach:

Larry by Adam Millard Larry 2 The Squeequel by Adam Millard Larry 3D by Adam Millard

message 8: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Randy wrote: "Not sure about favorite, but Dean Koontz scared the heck out of me with Intensity. At one point, I had to put the book down, and I didn't pick it up again for several days."

I have that sitting on my bookshelf right now, but I haven't read it yet:-).

message 9: by Kelly B (new)

message 10: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 746 comments Nancy wrote: "Randy wrote: "Not sure about favorite, but Dean Koontz scared the heck out of me with Intensity. At one point, I had to put the book down, and I didn't pick it up again for several day..."

I also went through a 'Koontz phase' around the same time, Nancy, and I do remember reading the names mentioned in the book, but I'm not sure what the story was about. I have a copy, though, and plan to read it sometime relatively soon.

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
Has anyone read The Killing Kind by Bryan Smith The Killing Kind or 68 Kill by Bryan Smith 68 Kill by Bryan Smith?

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3430 comments Ken wrote: "Has anyone read The Killing Kind by Bryan Smith The Killing Kind or 68 Kill by Bryan Smith 68 Kill by Bryan Smith?"

I haven't read them, but wow, the covers look great! I am going to add them to my tbr pile! Thanks Ken! :)

message 13: by Marie (last edited Sep 08, 2019 05:01AM) (new)

Marie | 3430 comments Abra-Cadaver by Matt Drabble by Matt Drabble - this was a good slasher book. I really liked this book.

The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1) by Chris Carter by Chris Carter - this is a great slasher/serial killer book and it kicks off a series.

message 14: by Jon Recluse (new)

The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly may be listed as thrillers, but feature serial killers that will please any horror fan.

message 15: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Conlon (goodreadscomchristopherconlon) | 253 comments For me Psycho remains the gold standard—often imitated, never equaled.

message 16: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2869 comments Mod
The Jack Daniels series by JA Konrath features some really twisted killers and lots of great characters and humor too.

message 17: by Jon Recluse (new)

Christopher wrote: "For me Psycho remains the gold standard—often imitated, never equaled."

And the book version of Norman Bates was scarier than the movie version....

message 18: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1867 comments Afraid (Afraid, #1) by Jack Kilborn by Jack Kilborn. Genetically/computer enhanced serial killers. Yeah, it don't get much better than that.

message 19: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1867 comments Corinne wrote: "A Special Place The Heart of a Dark Matter by Peter Straub A Special Place: The Heart of a Dark Matter by Peter Straub
Every serial killer in the making needs a me..."

Wait a minute. Did these folks not read the description or see what genre it was filed under?? Like, …. it's horror. 😒😶

message 20: by Kel (new)

Kel Midthnaetitulla | 39 comments Corinne wrote: "A Special Place The Heart of a Dark Matter by Peter Straub A Special Place: The Heart of a Dark Matter by Peter Straub
Every serial killer in the making needs a me..."

Depravity, yay!

message 21: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments The Bighead by Edward Lee

message 22: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1867 comments Corinne wrote: "Alondra wrote: "Wait a minute..."

Right?!?
or
I hate horror, it scares me. Let me read some... oh no I hated it 1*"

YYeesss….ugh, that pisses me off. All of these professional reviewers who only read YA, but will read a horror novel because it's the trending topic, and will sour their readers with their butchery of a genre they care nothing about. Rant over.

*breathes heavily*

message 23: by Randy (new)

message 24: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1867 comments Corinne wrote: "*offers paperback to breath into*

Haha that was a good autocorrect. Leaving it."

🤣

message 25: by Scott (last edited Jun 21, 2020 04:55PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 384 comments Whispers by Dean Koontz , Dark Matter by Garfield Reeves-Stevens , The Dark Half by Stephen King , Ripper (Special X, #4) by Michael Slade , Ghoul (Special X, #2) by Michael Slade , Portrait of the Psychopath as a Young Woman by Edward Lee , Koko by Peter Straub , Moon by James Herbert , Slash by Hunter Shea , The Throat by Peter Straub , and Kill Whitey by Brian Keene .

message 26: by CrimsonTitan (new)

CrimsonTitan | 1 comments I absolutely adore most of Jack Kilborn's works because of my fascination with this genre. Finding quality work is a bit of a gamble, but when it happens, it's magical

message 27: by James (new)

James (maitlandreviews) | 29 comments I agree with CrimsonTitan. Jack Kilborn and his connected works with other authors are great for Slashers/serial killer books. Quick reads but fun.