Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Zombie Horror

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1511 comments Mod
What are your favorite zombie stories?

message 2: by Nancy (last edited Aug 31, 2019 06:38PM) (new)

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments For a short story, Just One Day. What's not to love? A spaceship, a black hole, time travel, and, yes, zombies!

For series, Adrian's Undead Diary, A Very Good Man, and Zombie Rules.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Not including any Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Mystery, etc. --- horror and horror/comedy only

Stranger by Simon Clark Dead Sea by Brian Keene Love, Death and Tea by Will Once Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1) by Mira Grant Marvel Zombies by Robert Kirkman Pet Sematary by Stephen King

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Tkach | 3 comments Briane Keene's The Rising series

message 6: by T. (new)

T. Gray | 5 comments Maybe not a traditions Zombie story but I loved the short story by Robert Block called "A Case of the Stubborns".

message 7: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2796 comments Mod
Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry

I like his explanation of how a zombie apocalypse could start.

message 8: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments My favorite by a mile is Zone One, So darn bleak.

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments Wow. I found Zone One to be snoozer.

message 10: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Randy wrote: "Wow. I found Zone One to be snoozer."

I've always wished the author would delve into horror again, but I think (??) that's the only horror novel he's ever written. (Off to check.....).

message 11: by Vickie (last edited Sep 03, 2019 06:40AM) (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Loved all these...
Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1) by Glynn James The Remaining (The Remaining, #1) by D.J. Molles The Tide (The Tide, #1) by Anthony J. Melchiorri
Extinction Horizon (The Extinction Cycle, #1) by Nicholas Sansbury Smith Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

message 12: by Marie (last edited Jan 24, 2021 10:38AM) (new)

Marie | 3342 comments I started reading this series and need to get back into it as I really liked the first two books. Here is the first book that starts it off:

Zero Day (Slow Burn, #1) by Bobby Adair by Bobby Adair

message 13: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments My list starts off with an underrated series:

Autumn (Autumn, #1) by David Moody by David Moody, is just a great story. We see them from the beginning and its horrible. Great story telling.

Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry by Jonathan Maberry is excellent. It is in the YA section; but the story is anything but, IMO. Violent, crazy and this story intersects with Joe Ledger. Woot!

Speaking of Joe; Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) by Jonathan Maberry . Yeeahhh, the good old strain of zombie created by a madwoman and released to unsuspecting good folk. Good stuff.

Dead City (Dead World, #1) by Joe McKinney by Joe McKinney is awesomely dead. This is just book One; things happen quickly.

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1 Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman by Robert Kirkman, is actually a great comic/graphic novel series. The dead kill off a lot of characters before you get to love them real good. In the TV show, the main characters actually live for like "years".... not the comics. They die off quickly except for Rick and Cooorraaalll.

I have a few more, but these are the tops. :)

message 14: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1860 comments WendyB wrote: "Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry

I like his explanation of how a zombie apocalypse could start."

I didn't like that one as much as the 2nd book; Fall of Night (Dead of Night, #2) by Jonathan Maberry . I do love it and cannot wait for book 3.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy Briggs | 4 comments Vickie wrote: "Loved all these...
Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1) by Glynn JamesThe Remaining (The Remaining, #1) by D.J. MollesThe Tide (The Tide, #1) by Anthony J. Melchiorri
Extinction Horizon (The Extinction Cycle, #1) by Nicholas Sansbury SmithRot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry[bookcov..."

#1 is on my tablet TBR, I am looking for #3, and have read all the others. You have good taste.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6715 comments Randy wrote: "Wow. I found Zone One to be snoozer."

I felt the same way.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason | 417 comments The Reapers Series Alden Bell

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason | 417 comments The Reapers are the angels and Exit Kingdom.... Rumour was there was supposed to be a 3rd book.

message 19: by Scott (last edited Jun 21, 2020 12:38PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 372 comments I'll have to admit I'm burned out on zombies, some of my favorites though are Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1) by Jonathan Maberry , Book of the Dead (Book of the Dead, #1) by John Skipp , Dead Sea by Brian Keene , 21st Century Dead A Zombie Anthology by Christopher Golden , Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) by Jonathan Maberry , Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry , and am looking forward to The Living Dead by George A. Romero .

message 20: by Gordon (last edited Sep 17, 2020 12:59PM) (new)

Gordon | 63 comments Zombies really aren't my thing; however, I did enjoy:
Cell
I Am Legend
Pet Cemetery

message 21: by Angela (last edited Sep 27, 2020 09:22PM) (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) | 244 comments ooohhh - some goodies to choose from!
Dead City (Dead World, #1) by Joe McKinney Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2) by Joe McKinney Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3) by Joe McKinney The Rising (The Rising #1) by Brian Keene City of the Dead (The Rising #2) by Brian Keene Dead Sea by Brian Keene and the complete awesome series of Arisen, Omnibus One by Glynn James

message 22: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 199 comments I'm not a big zombie fan either but I did really enjoy London (Surviving The Evacuation #1) by Frank Tayell and Rise of the Undead (End Times, #1) by Shane Carrow .

message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I really need to start reading more western horror and I hope to write more in the future as well.

message 24: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Marie wrote: "I started reading this series and need to get back into it as I really liked the first two books. Here is the first book that starts it off:

Zero Day (Slow Burn, #1) by Bobby Adair by [author:Bobby Adair|71..."

Loved the Slow Burn series, good one Marie!😊

message 25: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Alondra wrote: "My list starts off with an underrated series:

Autumn (Autumn, #1) by David Moody by David Moody, is just a great story. We see them from the beginning and its horrible. Great story telling..."

I enjoyed the Autumn series as well. Another good choice!😉

message 26: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Judy wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Loved all these...
Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1) by Glynn JamesThe Remaining (The Remaining, #1) by D.J. MollesThe Tide (The Tide, #1) by Anthony J. Melchiorri
Extinction Horizon (The Extinction Cycle, #1) by Nicholas Sansbury Smith[bookcover:Rot & Ruin|7..."

Thanks! Evidently we have similar tastes.😊 Love my zombie world!😄

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Slow Burn sounds and looks good!