Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Western Horror

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
Where are your favorite Western Horror tales?

message 4: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1895 comments Gehenna (West of Hell #1) by Jason Brant series by Jason Brant. Gory, zombie western and a dastardly bastard who is a great anti-hero. Fun series and mostly free on Amazon. The 3rd book has not been a freebie that I know of; but the first 2 are always going for free intermittently.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments One of the last books I read was Skin Medicine and I've never enjoyed a book more and been disturbed at the same time! It was excellent and I definitely need to read more Tim Curran books.

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1895 comments Justin wrote: "One of the last books I read was Skin Medicine and I've never enjoyed a book more and been disturbed at the same time! It was excellent and I definitely need to read more Tim Curran books."

I loved his Dead Sea novel; and now he has just put out a sequel. It looks awesome!

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Sweet I'll have to check it out

message 8: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2974 comments Mod
Ghostwalkers (Deadlands, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I didn't realize Jonathan Maberry had written a weird western and I'm friends with him lol. I'll definitely have to check this out.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Conlon (goodreadscomchristopherconlon) | 266 comments I'm not big on Westerns generally but Richard Matheson wrote a very good one that had supernatural elements called Shadow on the Sun.

message 11: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6523 comments Justin wrote: "I didn't realize Jonathan Maberry had written a weird western and I'm friends with him lol. I'll definitely have to check this out."

Series of three books. All with good reviews. I am weak. I bought it.

message 12: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2974 comments Mod
Ken B wrote: "Justin wrote: "I didn't realize Jonathan Maberry had written a weird western and I'm friends with him lol. I'll definitely have to check this out."

Series of three books. All with good reviews. I ..."

I have all three books. I've read the first and the third, and really liked them. You won't be sorry.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Hmm interesting..okay I'll definitely need to check them out.

message 14: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Steve Vernon's LONG HORN, BIG SHAGGY is great fun.

As is Ed Erdelac's MERKABAH RIDER series.

message 15: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1895 comments WendyB wrote: "Ghostwalkers (Deadlands, #1) by Jonathan Maberry"

YEESSSS. I really enjoyed this one. :)

message 16: by Cathy (last edited Mar 04, 2020 09:27PM) (new)

Cathy | 177 comments A gritty contemporary Western vampire story, extremely well-written:
In the Valley of the Sun by Andy Davidson

message 17: by Scott (last edited Jun 20, 2020 05:47PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 408 comments Some of my favorites are Dust Devils by Jonathan Janz , The Magic Wagon by Joe R. Lansdale , Ghostwalkers (Deadlands, #1) by Jonathan Maberry , I Travel by Night by Robert R. McCammon , Last Train from Perdition by Robert R. McCammon , Dead in the West by Joe R. Lansdale , Razored Saddles by Joe R. Lansdale , and Boomtown by James A. Moore .

message 19: by Gina (new)

Gina (nyogtha) | 64 comments Moon dance by SP Somtow, the frontier with werewolves.

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I think the next western horror I read all be by Joe R. Landsdale. Had some of his books on my to reads list far too long.