Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Werewolves/Shapeshifters

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1511 comments Mod
What are your favorite Werewolf/Shapeshifter stories?

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments I mainly do urban fantasy/pnr with this but I'm sure there's plenty of horror I'm not discovering

Thor is listed as horror tags but more of a dark drama - wonderful, wonderful book all should read. My favorite were book that's not Uf. It's not particularly violent and it's told through a POV of a dog

For bloody and funny, Wolf Hunt

The Howling series by Gary Bradner wasn't bad. Different ordering from the movies, some get pretty cheesy but the first is readable.

message 3: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6474 comments The Wolfman

This is a novelization of the 2010 movie. Really enjoyed it!

message 4: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore
The Wolfman by Nicholas Pekearo

message 5: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments Those Across the River. Normally werewolves aren't really my thing, but I thought this book was excellent.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3340 comments Outage (Outage #1) by T.W. Piperbrook by T.W. Piperbrook

This is a five book series and it is very good! I gave all five book five stars! It will definitely keep your interest and the books are fast paced.

message 7: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1857 comments High Moor by Graeme Reynolds by Graeme Reynolds. Each of these have either been freebies or 99c on Kindle, intermittently over the years. Bloody and violent. Great series.

The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon by Robert R. McCammon

message 8: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1857 comments Kelly B wrote: "Those Across the River. Normally werewolves aren't really my thing, but I thought this book was excellent."

Of course, it's by Christopher Buehlman who wrote 2 of my favorites; The Lesser Dead and The Suicide Motor Club. Yeah, I added this book last year.

message 9: by Randy (last edited Sep 09, 2019 08:41AM) (new)

Randy Money | 240 comments The Werewolf of Paris The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore by Guy Endore

Sharp Teeth Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow by Toby Barlow

The Nightwalker The Nightwalker by Thomas Tessier by Thomas Tessier

I'm especially fond of the first two. The Tessier is also good, but didn't affect me as strongly as the others.

Werewolf A Chrestomathy of Lycanthrophy Werewolf A Chrestomathy of Lycanthrophy by Bill Pronzini ed. Bill Pronzini

There are other collections, but I finished this one and enjoyed all of the stories. I'm still dipping into one or two others.

message 10: by Scott (last edited Jun 21, 2020 01:36PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 369 comments The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon and it's sequel The Hunter from the Woods by Robert R. McCammon are my favorites.

Shapeshifter by J.F. Gonzalez , Moondeath by Rick Hautala , Ravenous by Ray Garton , Wolf Land by Jonathan Janz , are also very good!

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10642 comments Mod
there's a group of us reading Blood And Rain right now and it's pretty good.

message 13: by Alan (new)

message 14: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1511 comments Mod
The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon is absolutely amazing. It’s sequel, The Hunter from the Woods by Robert R. McCammon , is also a must read after finishing Wolf’s Hour.

I can not read Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King without fondly thinking about the movie, Silver Bullet. Yes, it’s a guilty pleasure of mine.

The Nightwalker by Thomas Tessier
The Howling by Gary Brandner
The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber
Ravenous by Ray Garton
- are all required reading

Wolf Land by Jonathan Janz
Blood And Rain by Glenn Rolfe
The Beast of Barcroft by Bill Schweigart
- are all way too much fun.

Another one that flies under the radar and should be read is:
Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent

message 15: by Scott (last edited Jun 26, 2020 11:46PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 369 comments It's good to see others giving praise to Robert McCammon, he's one of my favorites.

When making my list I completely forget about Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King , love that book.

The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber
Moon Dance by S.P. Somtow
Animals by John Skipp
are also a lot of fun...

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments My favorites are

(1) a werewolf story set in WW II

(2) the werewolf cop from W.D. Gagliani

(3) the Mercy Thompson series from Patricia Briggs

message 17: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10642 comments Mod
I love Mercy!

message 19: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 198 comments Alondra wrote: "High Moor by Graeme Reynolds by Graeme Reynolds. Each of these have either been freebies or 99c on Kindle, intermittently over the years. Bloody and violent. Great series.
"

My absolute favourite werewolf series! I love the way it would up neatly at the end of the last one too.

message 20: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Reynolds (graemereynolds) | 94 comments Leaders of the Pack - Have you guys checked this out? It's an anthology with tie in stories to ongoing series by Jeff Strand, Jonathan Janz, Ray Garton, Glenn Rolfe, David Wellington and others, including a 12000 word tie in story to my own High Moor series.
And cheers Alondra and Lora - glad you enjoyed High Moor :)

message 21: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 198 comments Graeme wrote: "Leaders of the Pack - Have you guys checked this out? It's an anthology with tie in stories to ongoing series by Jeff Strand, Jonathan Janz, Ray Garton, Glenn Rolfe, David Wellingto..."

Yes! It's a good collection.