Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Occult/Demons/Possession/Satanism

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
What are your favorite books that the story centers around Occult/Demons/Possession/Satanism?

message 4: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:33PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments That is horror related -

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg Demon at the Window (Cochran Investigations #1) by John Quick Exorcist Falls by Jonathan Janz A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

All of these are very good. Demon at the Window came out this year and is like a classic noir mixed with the supernatural, some creepy moments and I'm loving the cover art. Well done, I recommend it.

Jenn is reading (jennifurreads) | 6 comments The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell

It is a Penguin Book published in 1962. A great short read for someone who is in between books. Just scary enough for it to linger in my thoughts but not full blown nightmares !

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments Seconding A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay and My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix .

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3584 comments The Demonic by Lee Mountford by Lee Mountford - scary read - four stars on this one.

Devil's Bait by Debbie Boek by Debbie Boek - nightmare scary - five stars on this one.

The Summer Job A Satanic Thriller by Adam Cesare by Adam Cesare - another scary read - four stars.

Hell The Possession and Exorcism of Cassie Stevens by Tom Lewis by Tom Lewis - another scary, leave the light on, nightmare book - I gave this one five stars.

Devil Board A Dark Tale of Occult Horror by Glen Frost by Glen Frost - scary intense read - four stars.

The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln Cole by Lincoln Cole - another scary demonic read - gave it four stars.

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1896 comments The Exorcist is by far the scariest. That upside down, walking down the stairs.... nope, nope.

Still one of the few books out that actually creep me out.

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments I second The Exorcist and A Head Full of Ghosts and, though not as strongly, My Best Friend's Exorcism. The first two are powerful, the last a good read.

Not sure this really applies, but Adam Nevill's Banquet For the Damned is a solid first novel dealing with a demonic entity's retribution against a small town in Scotland. And if this fits the category, then Phil Rickman's Curfew. Both are entertaining reads.

message 12: by Scott (last edited Jun 21, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 410 comments My favorite sub-genre of horror....

The Manitou (Manitou #1) by Graham Masterton , The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker , Son of the Endless Night by John Farris , The Burning by Graham Masterton , Flesh Gothic by Edward Lee , Exorcist Road by Jonathan Janz , Incubi by Edward Lee , Messenger by Edward Lee , 666 by Jay Anson are all good.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason | 428 comments Check out this book on Goodreads: The Matrix https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 15: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 202 comments I'm currently reading The Gates by Iain Rob Wright. Hell comes to Earth! No holds barred in this one.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Melhuish (paulmelhuish) | 27 comments The Last Exorcism. Wasnt expecting much from this film but the premise of a fake exorcist who comes across a real possession works well.

message 17: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments Gordon wrote: "Most of Lovecraft's stories
..."

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward certainly, and sorry I didn't think of it before.

I'm not so sure about The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck, though I did enjoy the book.

message 18: by Sara (last edited Oct 19, 2020 04:16AM) (new)

Sara Twigg | 17 comments Kenneth wrote: "Sara wrote: "My favourite at the moment has to be Legion by William Peter Blatty, I rate it higher than the exorcist. Still trying to find a book that gripped me similar to this."

You know, I have..."

Kenneth wrote: "Sara wrote: "My favourite at the moment has to be Legion by William Peter Blatty, I rate it higher than the exorcist. Still trying to find a book that gripped me similar to this."

You know, I have..."

Kenneth wrote: "Sara wrote: "My favourite at the moment has to be Legion by William Peter Blatty, I rate it higher than the exorcist. Still trying to find a book that gripped me similar to this."

You know, I have..."

You know, I have..."

My favourite at the moment has to be Legion by William Peter Blatty, I rate it higher than the exorcist. Still trying to find a book that gripped me similar to this.

message 19: by Kenneth (new)

Sara wrote: "My favourite at the moment has to be Legion by William Peter Blatty, I rate it higher than the exorcist. Still trying to find a book that gripped me similar to this."

You know, I have that one on my shelf, but I haven’t read it yet. I really enjoyed The Exorcist, so I may have to move it up the TBR list. Without giving away any spoilers, what was it about Legion that you liked better than The Exorcist?

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara Twigg | 17 comments It seemed to involve the reader more into the characters off the first book. Giving more insight into the evil of the world around us. I suppose its like reading the exorcist then legion seems to take the blinkers off.

message 21: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 202 comments For something more light and YA, I rather enjoyed Force of Chaos: The Coming of Age of the Antichrist by Lin Senchaid.

It's about the antichrist at 15, going to high school in California. He's not particularly interested in the destiny laid out for him, but he does tend to collect followers. If you've ever seen the film Little Nicky, it has that sort of humour.

message 22: by John (new)

John | 22 comments Sara wrote: "It seemed to involve the reader more into the characters off the first book. Giving more insight into the evil of the world around us. I suppose its like reading the exorcist then legion seems to t..."

Have you seen "The Exorcist 3" movie? It's based off the Legion book. Pretty decent movie.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara Twigg | 17 comments Yeap. loved the movie too. True to the book.

message 24: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Borrego | 3 comments I just finished The Hellbound Heart and OMG, the book was sooo much better than the movie. I want to read more like it, Does anyone have suggestions? Please pm me if you have any suggestions.

message 26: by Kenneth (new)

Daniel wrote: "I just finished The Hellbound Heart and OMG, the book was sooo much better than the movie. I want to read more like it, Does anyone have suggestions? Please pm me if you have any suggestions."

I thought Paul Kane’s Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell was excellent.

message 27: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3584 comments I am reading this one right now which is:

The Sensitives Books 1 - 3: A Paranormal Horror Series by Rick Wood - very creepy saturated in demonic theme as it is to do with demon possession and exorcisms. The first book was loaded with it - reading the second part now and it is the same way. This is actually a series so after I finish the 3rd part of the omnibus I am moving on with the rest of the series.

message 28: by Megan (last edited Mar 25, 2021 03:07AM) (new)

Megan Haynes | 38 comments I'm definitely going to check out those Hellraiser recs. This is my absolute favorite sub-genre of horror but I always have a hard time finding a great one.

I really enjoyed:
Last Days
Last Days by Adam Nevill
It thoroughly creeped me out in some parts where I had to take a break - this is very rare for me.

message 29: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 417 comments Rosemary’s Baby, by Ira Levin, was a good one, and although not the scariest, it was very unsettling. The movie stuck very close to the book. 😈 👶

message 30: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3584 comments This horror series is wrapped around demonic themes and vibes:

Haunted: Perron Manor by Lee Mountford

There are are four books in the series plus a prequel book and the whole series is one hell of a spooky ride! If you want to saturate yourself in the occult and demons then check out this series.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 40 comments I just finished Ghoster by Jason Arnopp which has a demonic twist. I can't say it was a favorite but it was fast-paced and interesting. Glad I have never owned a smartphone!

message 32: by Zain (new)

Zain | 65 comments I love The Exorcist and The Omen books. There are four of those.

Zain

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane Johnson | 40 comments Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box kinda sorta does. Not necessarily Satanism, but occult and possessions, sure.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara Twigg | 17 comments Devils Creek by Todd Keisling have to admit is a good book

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2 comments I really liked Elizabeth: A Novel of the Unnatural by Ken Greenhall.
Older, more of a slow-burn read, but really good.

message 38: by MjA (new)

MjA Don't know what category this one falls into but this story stuck with me for months, it was that intriguing.... OUBLIETTE: A Forgotten Little Place by Vanta M. Black

message 39: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3584 comments Another one that has an occult theme that is laced with demonic activity is this one:

The Devil's Serenade by Catherine Cavendish The Devil's Serenade by Catherine Cavendish

message 40: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 574 comments Definitely "The Exorcist" but also one of the scarier novels and a favorite of mine is "Hell House" by Richard Matheson.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/ri...

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard | 58 comments When I was younger I read "In A Dark Place" which is what the Haunting in Connecticut is based on. Might be hokey now but it scared the hell out of me when I was young. Good times.

In a Dark Place

message 42: by Fishface (last edited Oct 05, 2021 08:53PM) (new)

Fishface | 31 comments I haven't seen anyone mention The Amityville Horror yet!

And for some actual nonfiction that'll burn the hair off your feet because it's so evil, let me refer youse to Deadly Thrills: The True Story of Chicago's Most Shocking Killers, Say You Love Satan and of course Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders.

message 43: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Pridham | 6 comments Here are my favorite demon/devil/hell novels:

https://matthewpridham.wordpress.com/...

message 44: by Billy (new)

Billy Webb | 440 comments It's a short story from a book called 'the nightmare collection' called 'the late shift' by, Lee Mountford.
This story ties into his extreme horror collection

message 45: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3584 comments Another one that is really good is this one that I just finished reading:

Hell The Necromancer by Tom Lewis Hell: The Necromancer by Tom Lewis

Demonic themes run rampant within this book.

message 46: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 31 comments I'm not sure it's precisely a demon, but Necromancer...

message 47: by Karen (last edited Oct 31, 2021 04:33PM) (new)

Karen (hmssparky) | 167 comments In addition to what has been recommended here, these two books were scary:
Exorcist Falls by Jonathan Janz
Exorcist Road by Jonathan Janz
both by author Jonathan Janz