Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Haunted Houses

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
What are your favorite Haunted House stories?

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Jon Recluse wrote: "Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James HerbertHaunted
The Little Stranger by Sarah WatersThe Little Stranger"

I love Haunted! I think Herbert gets overlooked a bit by American audiences. The guy could flat out build a creepy atmosphere like no other.

message 4: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 01, 2019 01:18PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments The House by Bentley Little this one's very weird

The House That Jack Built by Graham Masterton The Elementals by Michael McDowell The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

message 5: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James HerbertHaunted
The Little Stranger by Sarah WatersThe Little Stranger"

I love Haunted! I think Herbert gets overlooked a bit..."

I agree. Huge Herbert fan since I first picked up The Dark.

message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "The House by Bentley Little this one's very weird

The House That Jack Built by Graham MastertonThe Elementals by Michael McDowellThe Amityville Horror by Jay Anson"

I did not like Bentley Little’s The House. It’s too bad, because I had heard such great things about him and this was the first book of his that I read. I’ve since heard that it’s not one that his fans like very much. Unfortunately, it’s caused me to not read any more of his stuff, which is too bad because I have a whole shelf full of his work, unread.

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments Seconding The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddon.

I'd also add Hell House by Richard Matheson (a response of sorts to the Jackson).

Softspoken by Lucius Shepard was good, though not a favorite. Ditto The Little Stranger.

Then there's The Beckoning Fair One by Oliver Onions and maybe the most famous, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3564 comments Ghost House by Clare McNally by Clare McNally - five star read for me. This was a great ghost story and it was more creepy than scary, but I really enjoyed it.

Ghost House Revenge by Clare McNally by Clare McNally - four star read. This was a little more creepy and the pace picks up right away with intense, twisted moments throughout the whole book.

The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates by Darcy Coates - five star read. Darcy Coates never fails on the spookiness of haunted houses! Fast paced and lots of creepy moments throughout the book.

The Carrow Haunt by Darcy Coates by Darcy Coates - five star read. This book was scary! Kept me up in the middle of the night reading it and it was very fast paced! Intense with nail biting moments and even a couple of bad dreams from it which normally doesn't happen that often as I keep telling myself I am immune to horror! Well when reading a Darcy Coates spooky book - immune will only go so far! lol This book is on my favorites shelf as most of Darcy's books are kept there. Haunting good time!

message 11: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1895 comments Not sure if it qualifies; but House of Leaves. The portion with the house just freaked me out after the couple started exploring. … this door
…….. this door....
..door.....
steps...…
steps, …. who's hand is that!?

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3564 comments I am adding a couple or so more in here. :)

I read this one which was really great by Jeff Strand a few weeks ago.
Sick House by Jeff Strand - 4 star read

Also this one was really good and the cover of the book is what really drew me in.

The Haunting of Crow House by A.W. James by A.W. James - 4 star read

message 13: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments I recently finished If You See Her by Ania Ahlborn , which I thought was really good. It had several creepy moments.

message 15: by Janet (last edited Dec 31, 2019 10:30AM) (new)

Janet Martin (janmaus) | 13 comments Of course, Shirley Jackson rules this subgenre, but my current fave in the ghost story/haunted house theme is Cherie Priest. I think "The Family Plot," is one of the best ghost stories in the past decade, and "Agony House," a fine YA novel. "The Toll," this years addition to the genre was pretty good, too. After Priest, Simone St James is my second favorite contemporary ghost story writer.

message 16: by Ashly (new)

Ashly Thomas | 1 comments I am so glad y'all posted these. I just discovered Darcy Coates's books. so far she's been quit amazing. the haunting of ashburn was wrote beautifully and intellectually. i will post it in a few.

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian Restivo I am not as well-read in the genre as you guys are. But I can say that I think Empty House by Algernon Blackwood is the story I rate others by. To me it is the perfect story. I also think that 90% of ghost/ haunted house stories should end the way Empty House did.

message 18: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments Brian wrote: "I am not as well-read in the genre as you guys are. But I can say that I think Empty House by Algernon Blackwood is the story I rate others by. To me it is the perfect story. I also think that 90% ..."

Adding it to my list.

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian Restivo let me know if you agree

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Melhuish (paulmelhuish) | 27 comments I very much enjoyed the House of Frozen Screams by Thana Niveu. Set in England in the west country it has a scene where this lifelike plaster head set into a wall comes to life with horrific consequences.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 408 comments Some of my favorite haunted house, or ghost novels are The Shining by Stephen King , The Supernaturals by David L. Golemon , Winter Wake by Rick Hautala , Forest of Shadows (Jessica Backman's Death in the Afterlife #1) by Hunter Shea , Haunted (David Ash, #1) by James Herbert , Hell House by Richard Matheson , The Ghosts Of Sleath (David Ash, #2) by James Herbert , Mystery Walk by Robert R. McCammon , The Siren and The Spectre by Jonathan Janz , Expiration Date by Tim Powers , and Hellfire by John Saul .

message 23: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10835 comments Mod
i'm currently reading It Will Just Be Us It Will Just Be Us by Jo Kaplan and it is so good. the hauntings are a little different but i am loving this book.

message 24: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Hunt (17238977) | 11 comments mine is the changling

message 25: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Hunt (17238977) | 11 comments there was an old 1970 movie about a girl who haunted the basement of a home. her father's ghost could be heard calling for her in the night.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 225 comments I am reading The Haunted by Bentley Little The Haunted by Bentley Little. I'm really enjoying it.

message 27: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 580 comments Jeffrey wrote: "there was an old 1970 movie about a girl who haunted the basement of a home. her father's ghost could be heard calling for her in the night."

Name?

message 28: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 202 comments A Halloween Tale by Austin Crawley A Halloween Tale by Austin Crawley

Ghost Story by Jeff Brackett Ghost Story by Jeff Brackett

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

The Elementals by Michael McDowell The Elementals by Michael McDowell