Play Book Tag discussion

Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Mercedes
August 2019: 21st Century > Mr Mercedes / Stephen King - 4****

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5536 comments Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1) by Stephen King
Mr Mercedes – Stephen King
Book on CD performed by Will Patton
4****

Book Number 1 in the Bill Hodges Trilogy, featuring retired Detective Bill Hodges in an unnamed Midwestern city. The action begins when the down-on-their-luck job seekers waiting for a job fair to open are mercilessly mown down by a guy in a stolen Mercedes. He is never caught. Six months later, Hodges, now retired, receives a letter in the mail and he recognizes the ring of truth in what the supposed killer says. He’s determined to find the psychopath on his own. But he gets some much needed help from two unlikely sources: a Black teenager in his neighborhood, and a middle-aged, mentally ill (and mentally fragile), cousin of one of the original victims.

King is a masterful writer and he doesn’t disappoint in this thriller / police procedural. The reader always knows who the perpetrator is, but that doesn’t lessen the suspense as Hodges and his assistants race the clock to solve the puzzle.

I’ve been a fan of King’s writing for ages … I read Carrie when it was a new book. While I’ve put aside his horror and fantasy works, I still appreciate his writing and I’m really glad I read this one.

Will Patton does a superb job reading the audiobook. My stars but he’s a marvel interpreting the many characters. I particularly liked how he voiced Holly and Jerome.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments I used to be a Constant Reader but then after a few of my other favorite authors passed away (having also read everything they had written up to that point and then having nothing left of theirs to read) I went on a an SK diet. I think I've read two in the last 10 years. I posted this fact once before and someone in typical King fashion replied, 'makes sense unless of course you die before he does.'