Amnesty International BookClub discussion

September/October 2019 - The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amnesty (last edited Sep 09, 2019 05:32PM) (new)

Amnesty Bookclub | 225 comments Mod
It's September already!

The next book up for the book club is The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline, selected by author and guest reader Lorina Mapa.

Check out the newest Discussion Guide for background on the book, reflections by Lorina Mapa, discussion questions, related human rights issues, and an action to stand with the people of Grassy Narrows, in Canada.

http://www.amnestybookclub.ca/wp-cont...

Have you read The Marrow Thieves yet? If so, what did you like? What did you find challenging?

Lorina asks, in The Marrow Thieves, we are told of a future where most of the Earth’s population has lost the ability to dream. At the same time, the environment continues to drastically change, with food shortages, natural disasters, persistent rains eroding coastlines and the appearance of mutated animals. What do you think the author is trying to say to connect these events?

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this highly praised book!

message 2: by Amnesty (new)

Hello!

The fall (or winter!) weather is here and it's a great time to curl up with a book. What are your impressions so far of The Marrow Thieves?

message 3: by Amnesty (new)

Hello again everyone,

my the month goes quickly! There is still time to vote on the Readers' Choice for the November/December book- voting closes October 20th!

Here is the list of the nominations:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

Thank you.

message 4: by Swantje (new)

Swantje (swan4) | 9 comments I’ve finished reading The Marrow Thieves. In books like this I find myself identifying with the main characters and their struggles. Later, I realize, that in my own life I’d much more likely to be sucked into the bad system because of which they have to be nomads like this in the first place. But there are always little ways (like their friend inside the system who warns them when they meet) of making a difference (and if enough of us make just a little difference, big change is possible).

message 5: by Amnesty (new)

Swantje wrote: "I’ve finished reading The Marrow Thieves. In books like this I find myself identifying with the main characters and their struggles. Later, I realize, that in my own life I’d much more likely to be..."

It is impressive how fiction, and speculative fiction in this case, can make us think of our lives and the real life situations of others. Your response also seems very hopeful! (Page 7 of the discussion guide has an action about Grassy Narrows that you may be interested in checking out!)

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 1 comments Loved this so much. I’m begging everyone I know to read cuz I want to talk about it so much. Great, great story.

message 7: by Amnesty (new)

Kim wrote: "Loved this so much. I’m begging everyone I know to read cuz I want to talk about it so much. Great, great story."

Glad you liked it so much! What did you like best about it? Or find most surprising? What did you think of how the author tied together so many themes surrounding the changing climate? (Sorry for the delay in responding- technology sometimes gets the better of me!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Marrow Thieves (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lorina Mapa (other topics)