Play Book Tag discussion

Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Mercedes
August 2019: 21st Century > Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments I haven't read King in a while, and the truth is I've missed him. This was a good choice. It's not his best book, maybe a 4.5* would be more accurate, but it's still a good one. It's full of suspense and easy to read. The characters are very likable and seem so real. Their conversation looked like real conversations I might have with some friends.

The best thing about this book is that it is a mystery, and mysteries are always a pleasure to read. At least for me. I liked that Stephen King brought us into the head of the bad guy (a habit of his), and I certainly liked how things had played out in the end. I especially loved Holly. I think she's a great character and I wonder if we will see her again in the next book of this series.

What was lacking in this book (because I've said it wasn't perfect): it was predictable here and there (or this may be because now, after I've read On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, I know how King thinks when he writes his books), and some of the characters bordered cliche, but without it taking from their charm or their multi-dimensional nature. But I had this feeling while reading that nothing is new. This didn't stop me from enjoying the book though, and I recommend it to any fan of Stephen King or this genre (which is mystery thriller in this case, no supernatural elements).

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3778 comments This is my first (and so far only) Stephen King. I really enjoyed it, but have heard it is "not his best". Looking forward to the second installment whenever I get around to reading it.