Archive - Additional Reads > City of Ghosts - Sept 2019

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Voted by members for Middle Grade additional read

City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1) by Victoria Schwab
City of Ghosts

Cassidy Blake's parents are The Inspecters, a (somewhat inept) ghost-hunting team. But Cass herself can REALLY see ghosts. In fact, her best friend, Jacob, just happens to be one.

When The Inspecters head to ultra-haunted Edinburgh, Scotland, for their new TV show, Cass—and Jacob—come along. In Scotland, Cass is surrounded by ghosts, not all of them friendly. Then she meets Lara, a girl who can also see the dead. But Lara tells Cassidy that as an In-betweener, their job is to send ghosts permanently beyond the Veil. Cass isn't sure about her new mission, but she does know the sinister Red Raven haunting the city doesn't belong in her world. Cassidy's powers will draw her into an epic fight that stretches through the worlds of the living and the dead, in order to save herself.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5884 comments Mod
I'm reading this now and I'm finding it interesting. It is a bit of a creepy read for young kids, but definitely written for middle schoolers.

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
I read this last month and really enjoyed it. Bit of a relief, as I tried to read her Darker Shade of Magic and ended up DNF'ing.

I will be reading the second book this month.

Deborah | 87 comments I liked it too, more than I expected. I really loved the location and they are going to Paris next.

message 5: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "I liked it too, more than I expected. I really loved the location and they are going to Paris next."

Edinburgh is one of my all time favourite cities, so I loved it too.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Lynn wrote: "I read this last month and really enjoyed it. Bit of a relief, as I tried to read her Darker Shade of Magic and ended up DNF'ing.

I will be reading the second book this month."

I read the first book earlier this week. I already have the second book ready to go. it will be read this week.

Jenna | 85 comments You all are making me want to try this one out now. I was disappointed by both her Darker Shade of Magic series and Vicious/Vengeful and thinking she just wasn’t for me.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished today and I liked it enough to try out the second book.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "I finished today and I liked it enough to try out the second book."
the second book is good so far i am halfway right now

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susanne wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I finished today and I liked it enough to try out the second book."
the second book is good so far i am halfway right now"

I'll be interested to see what you think of it when you're done. I thought the second half of this one was a little better than the first half and I have a feeling that moving forward the series will be better now that (view spoiler) I feel that the first half of this book was setting the basis for rest of the book and future installments.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Savanes | 2013 comments Mod
I finished a few days ago. This was a 3.5 to me. I was expecting something more like Lockwood and Co.. This one felt more childish. I mean I'm not the target reader for both of those but I felt I was not the right age for this one while I just enjoyed tremendously Lockwood.
Don't get me wrong, it was still very enjoyable, fast paced (for the 2nd half) and a fast read. I don't know if I'll read the other books though.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Savanes wrote: "I finished a few days ago. This was a 3.5 to me. I was expecting something more like Lockwood and Co.. This one felt more childish. I mean I'm not the target reader for both of those but I felt I w..."

I haven't read Lockwood, but I agree that this one felt young. It was in the middle grade category, so I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie wrote: "Savanes wrote: "I finished a few days ago. This was a 3.5 to me. I was expecting something more like Lockwood and Co.. This one felt more childish. I mean I'm not the target reader for both of thos..."

You should! I looooove this series!

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok! Just added it to my tbr and my library owns it, so I put a hold on it. :)

message 15: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great! I hope you like it.

message 16: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
I've now read the second book and enjoyed it even more than the first :)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Lynn wrote: "I've now read the second book and enjoyed it even more than the first :)"
I agree Lynn I thought the second book was better.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2019 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn wrote: "I've now read the second book and enjoyed it even more than the first :)"

My library hold is still pending. I'll get to it... Glad you enjoyed it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Ghosts (other topics)