Archive - Award Winners > Circe - September 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5834 comments Mod
Winner of the Fantasy award

Circe by Madeline Miller

Circe by Madeline Miller

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child—not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power—the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.

Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love.

Michelle (mich2689) | 114 comments I’ve already read this and I really liked it. I hope you guys do too. It’s a little slow-paced but I think that adds to the book’s atmosphere.

message 3: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
I have to read this one for a real life book club. I'll probably start reading in 2 weeks. :)

message 4: by Bub (new) - added it

Bub | 49 comments I hope this comes in at the library! I’m really looking forward to this one!
Thanks for the review!

Diane (dyanswan) | 1 comments I love this book and have re-read it to appreciate the story and the author's rich and lovely voice.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

I'm planning to read this one later in the month. I need to read my real life book club books first. I've gotten so far behind over the summer.

Ally Marshall (allymarshall92) | 7 comments I read this a couple of months ago and absolutely loved it.. It's meant to be adapted in to a tv series next year :)

Bridget Limeburner | 22 comments I had already started this and am about half-way through. I've always loved Greek mythology and am really enjoying this take on the myth.

message 9: by Bub (new) - added it

Bub | 49 comments Just got this from the library and hopefully starting it today. Looking forward to the mythology which I’ve always been interested in.

Summer (paradisecity) | 29 comments This got a "meh" from our book club. The story had potential, but there wasn't a very clear throughline on the plot so it felt like it dragged in placed. It was sometimes difficulty to have empathy for Circe; she was a powerful god but really spent most of the book acting like a petulant child. We seemed to be the target audience for the book so I'm not sure why it fell so flat. Glad others are enjoying it, though!

message 11: by Bub (new) - added it

Bub | 49 comments I read the first 3 chapters or so and I just couldn’t get into it. It didn’t make any sense to me so I’m returning it to the library. Oh well, I tried

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Sorry it didn’t work for you Bub & Summer. Hopefully your next reads are better.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
I just finished and I agree the beginning was slow. I thought I would never get through it but then I started listening to the audio. What a fantastic narrator. All of the sudden what I thought was dull became vivid and interesting (or maybe the narrator had nothing to do with it and the story just started). It ended up being a 4 stars for me.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Good to know, Savanes. I have this one on Audible.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I am going to get it from Hoopla to listen too from Library it showed up this month as a audio we can check out so i will get it and it is on my read list for my year challenge with this group reading nominees and winners of the choice awards.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Circe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Madeline Miller (other topics)