Play Book Tag discussion

August 2019: 21st Century > Glory in Death - J.D. Robb 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments This is the second installment of J.D. Robb’s ‘In Death’ series and is set in an imagined version of 2058 New York, where Detective Eve Dallas is on the trail of a serial murderer.
The book was a quick read for me; the murder mystery plot was fairly predictable but it moved along at a relatively quick pace. For some reason, I couldn’t quite suspend my disbelief in the way that you usually need to when reading a Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb novel. The characters felt one-dimensional and weren’t very compelling, leaving me to roll my eyes on several occasions. Strangely, though, I think I would still pick up the next in the series at some point, when I’m looking for a quick and easy read.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments I’m on a real roll with the In Death series at the moment - I’ve got through about 6 in quick succession (am up to #20). I get them on audio so I can get my fix while I’m stitching or doing housework. The narrator (Susan Ericksen) is seriously good. I’ve read a couple in print but didn’t enjoy them as much as listening to her reading them.

I agree they’re pretty formulaic and suspension of disbelief is definitely necessary at times - the quality of the mysteries varies a bit. But I love the characters so much - they get better and better with time - and the dialogue is brilliant.

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments KateNZ wrote: "I’m on a real roll with the In Death series at the moment - I’ve got through about 6 in quick succession (am up to #20). I get them on audio so I can get my fix while I’m stitching or doing housewo..."

I was just iffy about the series until I started the audios, but I love the narrator. I have Vendetta in Death preordered from Audible so I can't wait until Tuesday.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Kate, we are on the same book! I have #29 staring at me from my bookshelf.

And good to know about the narrator! I am not sure I will listen because I can read so much faster than I can listen, but it sounds perfect for a long drive or spring cleaning!

message 5: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments Oh thanks for the tips about the audio version! I will definitely give it a try when I’m ready to read the next in the series!

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4855 comments Nileema, I found the first few books rather lackluster myself, but as the series progresses and the characters develop, it gets much better! Now they are like good friends and family to me, I love "visiting" them whenever a new book comes out!

message 7: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments annapi wrote: "Now they are like good friends and family to me, I love ..."

This sounds like classic Nora and is reassuring to hear! I'm definitely going to get to the third installment at some point, so I'm looking forward to that turning point, which might come sooner than I think if I try the next one on audio, it seems!

message 8: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8018 comments I've only read the first three, so far. They've been fine, but nothing to really pull me back to it. I do plan to continue, though, at least for a while.