Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > November 2019 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
November 2019 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw
The Last Day of a Condemned Man

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

9. Moderator will choose a surprise sixth book to add to the poll.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Sep 01, 2019 04:23AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1509 comments More spy stories? James Bond: The Living Daylights by Ian Fleming, 24 pages, 1962.

Takes place in Berlin near the wall.

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina Second The Living Daylights. It’s James Bond!!!

message 4: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Sep 01, 2019 06:03AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
I would like to nominate The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono, 74 pages, (1953) It was nominated several months ago, and I read it although it did not win that month. It is so good I used it in class.

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments I nominate SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas (pub 1967, 60 pp).

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 741 comments I nominate The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson. Published in 1891 and 56 pages.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 152 comments Second The Bottle Imp

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 20 comments I nominate The Bear by William Faulkner, published 1942, around 15 pages.

message 9: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 420 comments I would like to try First Love by Ivan Turgenev again. Published in 1860, and 124 pages.

message 10: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1497 comments I will second The Man Who Planted Trees. 🌳🌲🌳🌲🌳🌲🌳

message 11: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmy205) | 197 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson. Published in 1891 and 56 pages."

I second The Bottle Imp!

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I'll second The Bottle Imp

message 13: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Piyangie wrote: "I would like to try First Love by Ivan Turgenev again. Published in 1860, and 124 pages."

I will second First Love

message 14: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 125 comments Piyangie wrote: "I would like to try First Love by Ivan Turgenev again. Published in 1860, and 124 pages."
Second!

message 15: by Milena (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:34AM) (new)

Milena | 257 comments I nominate Xingu by Edith Wharton, 48 pages

Shirley (stampartiste) | 722 comments I would like to nominate Truman Capote’s The Thanksgiving Visitor. I read it years ago and would love to read it again with the group. It is such a heartwarming story!

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote

message 17: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 420 comments Thank you, Candi and Barbara.

message 18: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 67 comments I second The Bear

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1870 comments I nominate The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich
(aka The Quarrel, aka The Squabble, aka How The Two Ivans Quarreled)
by Nikolai Gogol

The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich by Nikolai Gogol

message 20: by Milena (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:34AM) (new)

Milena | 257 comments Darren wrote: "I nominate The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich
by Nikolai Gogol"

Oh I want to second this. Since my nomination got no seconds, I withdraw it and second Darren's.

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I'll second The Bear

message 22: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2437 comments I'll second The Bear.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I'd like to nominate Bernice Bobs Her Hair by one of my favorites, F. Scott Fitzgerald. (1920- 67 pages) Thanks. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 24: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 589 comments I second The Living Daylight! :)

message 25: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments Darren wrote: "I nominate The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich
by Nikolai Gogol

[..."

I second

message 26: by siriusedward (last edited Sep 08, 2019 02:49PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments seconding the Ian Fleming

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette | 507 comments I would like to second The Man Who Planted Trees. (No link because I’m on my phone.)

message 28: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I second James Bond.

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3183 comments Shirley (stampartiste) wrote: "I would like to nominate Truman Capote’s The Thanksgiving Visitor. I read it years ago and would love to read it again with the group. It is such a heartwarming story!

[bookcover:The..."

there are a few I'd like to second but I'll go with The Thanksgiving Visitor by Capote

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 10, 2019 07:05AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Current standings

The Living Daylights by Ian Fleming, 25+- pages, 1962
J_BlueFlower - Brina, Michaela, siriusedward, Philina. (4)

The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson, 56 pages, 1891
Marilyn - Powder River Rose, Emmy, Tammy, Sarah, (4)

The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono, 74 pages, 1953
Lynn - Terry, Annette, Liesl, (3)

The Bear by William Faulkner, 15 pages, 1942
Julia - Jeffery, Melanie, Terris, (3)

The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich by Nikolai Gogol, 52 pages, 1835
Darren - Milena, BAM, Pink, (3)
-------
First Love by Ivan Turgenev 124 pages, 1860
Piyangie - Candi, (1)

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote, 37 pages, 1967
Shirley - Sue, (1)

SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas, 60 pages, 1967
Aubrey

Bernice Bobs Her Hair by F. Scott Fitzgerald, 48 pages, 1920
Jen from Quebec

message 32: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1509 comments That edition of "The Living Daylights" is a collection. The short story is more like 25 pages.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments I'll add another second for The Bottle Imp

message 34: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I’ll second Gogol, just for the title alone, but I’d also like to try more of his work.

message 35: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Bob - I also seconded First Love in message 13. Thanks!

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Updated, thanks for the corrections.

message 37: by Mike (new)

Mike (miketstl) | 38 comments I will throw another second towards Gogol.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 722 comments Sue wrote: "there are a few I'd like to second but I'll go with The Thanksgiving Visitor by Capote"

Thank you, Sue!

message 39: by George P. (new)

George P. | 537 comments I'll second The Thanksgiving Visitor. Hadn't heard of it before; I loved his Breakfast at Tiffany's.

message 40: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 13, 2019 07:55AM) (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Current standings

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote, 37 pages, 1967
Shirley - Sue, George, Kelly, Kathleen, Milena, (5)

The Living Daylights by Ian Fleming, 25+- pages, 1962
J_BlueFlower - Brina, Michaela, siriusedward, Philina. (4)

The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson, 56 pages, 1891
Marilyn - Powder River Rose, Emmy, Tammy, Sarah, (4)

The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich by Nikolai Gogol, 52 pages, 1835
Darren - Milena, BAM, Pink, Mike, (4)

The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono, 74 pages, 1953
Lynn - Terry, Annette, Liesl, (3)

The Bear by William Faulkner, 15 pages, 1942
Julia - Jeffery, Melanie, Terris, (3)
-------
First Love by Ivan Turgenev 124 pages, 1860
Piyangie - Candi, (1)

SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas, 60 pages, 1967
Aubrey

Bernice Bobs Her Hair by F. Scott Fitzgerald, 48 pages, 1920
Jen from Quebec

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I second The Thanksgiving Visitor

message 42: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Thank you Terry, Annette and Liesl for the seconds.

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments I will also second The Thanksgiving Visitor. A Christmas Memory was SO good, I'm sure this will be too.

message 44: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 489 comments I second The Thanksgiving Visitor.

message 45: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Updated

Shirley (stampartiste) | 722 comments Thank you, Kelly, Kathleen and Milena for seconding The Thanksgiving Visitor!

You're right, Kathleen... A Christmas Memory was indeed a very touching story, and Truman Capote's other semi-autobiographical story, The Thanksgiving Visitor left me with the same feeling. These stories were my first introduction to Truman Capote, and they were wonderful windows into his childhood.

message 47: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

message 48: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 589 comments I wonder why everyone (at once!) seconds The Thanksgiving Visitor???

message 49: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 125 comments I will second First Love.

message 50: by George P. (new)

George P. | 537 comments Shirley (stampartiste) wrote: "Thank you, Kelly, Kathleen and Milena for seconding The Thanksgiving Visitor!..."

You forgot me ;(

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.