The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
This topic is about The Wicked King
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
★Buddy/Group Read Retirement★ > The Wicked King (Septemeber 2019) Buddy Read Discussion - Bopeep, Mina, Violet, Aless, Maria, Vincent

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (last edited Sep 01, 2019 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aless (alesstheintrovert) | 531 comments Mod
Welcome to The Wicked King Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on September 1st and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group. Any extra days can be used to catch up!

Each week we will be reading by chapters. The suggested Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 9/1
September 1: prologue + Chapters 1-3
September 2: Chapters 4-6
September 3: Chapters 7-9
September 4: Chapters 10-12
September 5: Chapters 13-15
September 6: Chapters 16-18
September 7: Chapters 19-21

Week of 9/8
September 8: Chapters 22-24
September 9: Chapters 25-27
September 10: Chapters 28-30 + epilogue

Participants:
- Bopeep
- Mina
- Violet
- Aless
- Maria
- Vincent
- Javiera

Violet Stone (violetstone003) | 85 comments *rubs hands together* I'm so ready to read this. I bought it when it came out but have been holding off. Didn't want to wait long between this one and The Queen of Nothing. haha!

message 3: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Violet wrote: "*rubs hands together* I'm so ready to read this. I bought it when it came out but have been holding off. Didn't want to wait long between this one and The Queen of Nothing. haha!"

I am so conflicted about reading this since I was feeling meh after the end of The Cruel Prince.

Violet Stone (violetstone003) | 85 comments me too! I gave the first book only three stars but I still wanted to read the rest of the series

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments Hey! I'm still reading the Lost Sisters (also want to finish The Raven Boys), so I will start reading this a bit later, maybe on the 5th or so~

I'm so curious about the second book, because I didn't think that Cardan would be king O.o And I have NO IDEA what will be happening on this book

message 6: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 1118 comments Mod
AHHH HAVE FUN READING THIS ONE!! I definitely liked this book more than the first hehe XD

message 7: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bopeep wrote: "Hey! I'm still reading the Lost Sisters (also want to finish The Raven Boys), so I will start reading this a bit later, maybe on the 5th or so~

I'm so curious about the second book, because I didn..."

Hahaha, I feel like that is going to be a common theme for some reason. Also, it's okay if you're a little behind!

message 8: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
I read today The Lost sisters, I found it better written than The Cruel Prince, but that's maybe because it was short. I still don't like Taryn but it wasn't bad to see things from her perspective.

I'm not going to start it today either, maybe tomorrow or the day after that.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Hello, everyone!

I JUST finished the cruel prince and heck. I do not know whether I am ready to torture myself again with this amount of fantasy and romance, but I will do it anyways. :)

message 10: by Maria (new) - rated it 1 star

Maria | 48 comments I really hope this is very different from first book, but I'm in a way kinda excited to read it. I hope I can find time to read it because I've been really busy and I am already reading a few other books.

message 11: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just got the e copy from the library so I might try to read some of it tonight.

message 12: by Maria (new) - rated it 1 star

Maria | 48 comments Just finished chapter 6, it’s alright so far. Not too much action, but I will say it is a little more interesting than the last I think. I’m still not totally into it yet, but hopefully will be!

message 13: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
I still haven't started it 😅

Well it's till the beginning, hopefully the action will come soon after those chapters :D

message 14: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vincent wrote: "Hello, everyone!

I JUST finished the cruel prince and heck. I do not know whether I am ready to torture myself again with this amount of fantasy and romance, but I will do it anyways. :)"

XD

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments I read the prologue and I'm on the middle of chapter 1~

For the moment it feels so similar to the first: Jude is still so proud (why the fuck you don't talk to your sister if you freAKING WANT TO DO IT), and what about the blacksmith that didn't want to make an oath? It smells of trouble. I think it would happen something but it didn't... yet.

message 16: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
Attention attention, I have an announcement to make.

I don't dislike Jude 😱 I'm so surprised by that.

I caught up on all the planed chapters by finishing chapter 9. I'm liking the whole book more than the first one, which is great. Not many things have happened yet, hopefully things are going to blow up soon (figuratively speaking, but also hoping for the not so figurative blow up).
(view spoiler)

@Bopeep If I was Jude I wouldn't wan't to make the first move either. Oh, the blacksmith 😁 I want to know what's his play, I'm assuming that is where the blowing up is going to happen.

message 17: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new) - rated it 4 stars

just wanted to drop in again and say that I disliked Jude less in this book hehe @mina

message 18: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
@Althea she gets better and better with every book. I wonder if she'll be a solid character in the third book.

I finished chapter 16 and I have some thoughts.
Something that surprised me at the end of chapter 13.(view spoiler)
The ending of chapter 15. (view spoiler)
Chapter 16. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina wrote: "@Althea she gets better and better with every book. I wonder if she'll be a solid character in the third book.

I finished chapter 16 and I have some thoughts.
Something that surprised me at the e..."

yep!!!

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Bopeep wrote: "I read the prologue and I'm on the middle of chapter 1~

For the moment it feels so similar to the first: Jude is still so proud (why the fuck you don't talk to your sister if you freAKING WANT TO ..."

Sorry guys, I am behind reading shedule. Again. I have finished like 6 chapters and I do not know what to think. It all seems like just too messy?

Likw wtf Jude stop being so damn petty. Also can you FINALLY realize that you like Cardan? This whole situation just starts getting ridiculous.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Sorry guys! I was still not able to catch up with the chapters, but I am close. I am currently reading chapter 18.

Generally said. I still do not really like the book. I am not interested in the characters at all and everything that happens leaves me behind empty. The story drags on and I wish I would have finished it already.

@ Mina

Hell. the make out scene was so uncomfortable to read. It nearly feels like Cardan is masochistic and gets turned on by Jude saying 'I hate you' and all in all. It is just so akward.

Violet Stone (violetstone003) | 85 comments I'm going to try and catch up today. I'm only on chapter 7 and so far I'm not caring for it.

message 23: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
I still have to read chapter 17, I'm also behind, I haven't read in a few days but hopefully I'll read some chapters tonight.

Violet Stone (violetstone003) | 85 comments Just finished chapter 15, haha woooow. Such a forced scene.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Violet wrote: "Just finished chapter 15, haha woooow. Such a forced scene."

I agree with my whole heart.

Violet Stone (violetstone003) | 85 comments I finished it. I'm eager to see what you all think of the ending. Personally I was underwhelmed.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Violet wrote: "I finished it. I'm eager to see what you all think of the ending. Personally I was underwhelmed."

Wow. That was fast! I need a few chapters to finish it, but I can tell you I am also not surprised by this disappointment.

Violet Stone (violetstone003) | 85 comments Vincent wrote: "Violet wrote: "I finished it. I'm eager to see what you all think of the ending. Personally I was underwhelmed."

Wow. That was fast! I need a few chapters to finish it, but I can tell you I am als..."

I feel like the hype pulled me in. I didn't like the first book but everyone said the second was really good so I caved. But, despite not liking it, I'll honestly read the last book. Just to see how it all wraps up.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments i'm so far behind (chapter 7) but I think this one is a bit better than the other. I won't say anything of the writing because I'm reading it in another language xD but I feel that a lot is happening and I'm a bit lost. But I liked Nicasia's scene. And that part that someone betrayed Jude... ah, I loved it because I can't stop thinking about who could be.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Bopeep wrote: "i'm so far behind (chapter 7) but I think this one is a bit better than the other. I won't say anything of the writing because I'm reading it in another language xD but I feel that a lot is happeni..."

I liked it too, that the auhtor gave the Princess more time to show off in the book. Honestly, I did not bother about the "someone you trust betrayed you"- part, because it is kinda obvious, who it will be and it will probably resolved in the most horrible way so I am not excited for it.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Okay guys, here we go.

Ik who betrayed lovely Jude and I am again here like: it was badly executed. I hated it. Also I knew. I am a bit disappointed, but not surprised, because I called it out. Sad. (Even though I am very oblivious to most upcoming plottwist in books, especially thrillers)

Also (view spoiler)

message 32: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
I didn't expect that character to betray her, but I agree it was badly executed and their reason was stupid.

I'm currently in the middle of chapter 28, so I'll be finishing it soon.

message 33: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (last edited Sep 09, 2019 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
End of chapter 28 (view spoiler)

Chapter 29 (view spoiler)
Chapter 30 (view spoiler) Finally something good happened, I had to wait only 29 chapters.
Epilogue (view spoiler)

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments Vincent wrote: "Honestly, I did not bother about the "someone you trust betrayed you"- part, because it is kinda obvious"

Well, I don't feel it THAT obvious. In that way I find it okay because there are a lot of characters, though I have my ideas of who the character can be.

I think the problem of the writing is the lack of emotion sometime. I'm on Chapter 12, and the part where the faeries humiliate Jude... it felt like meh. I didn't feel any pity for her, nor hate for the Folks. But in fact I like a bit more this plot than the first book.

I can't read your spoilers yet, but I'll be commenting them as I read~

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments I finished the book just now.

I feel such deep inner disgust in myself, because I hated it a lot and I cannot understand how people are ACTIVELY rooting for Cardan and Jude.

message 36: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
I'm just here to say... I don't know man, they don't have anyone else to ship? I don't get it either.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments I'm enjoying this second book more than the first one. Maybe because of politics, and a lot of different characters and the plots between all them. I don't know, but at least it has my attention and I don't feel tired before reading it.

I have a theory though it's useless since you two also finished the book but... Maybe Cardan could be Balekin's son? Is that even possible? Or he just wanted a pawn to play with? Maybe I'm complicating things unnecessarily. But I'm always having weird theories in my mind.

As you, I don't really care much about Cardan and Jude. I mean, I don't even like the enemies-to-lovers trope. (view spoiler)

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Bopeep wrote: "I'm enjoying this second book more than the first one. Maybe because of politics, and a lot of different characters and the plots between all them. I don't know, but at least it has my attention an..."

Tbh I never thought about that Balekin could be Cardan's father and honestly, I thoufht it should have been brought up by now. (also it would be kinda odd that Jude had a thing with her adoptive brother's biological brother.)

About the sex thing. We do not know for sure, the reader can just assume.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments I'm on chapter 25 or 26, and I would write without spoiler tags c: How are the other buddirs that said anything going? ^^

None of you said anything about it but, I was the only one I was kind of excited when Jude was abducted? Like FINALLY something really bad happened to her? Also the part where Balekin glamoured her to kiss him... ugh, it was repugnant D:

And the betrayal... yeah, now that I think of it it feels like the author needed someone to betray them and just picked out a random character and reason. I was all the time thinking it was Taryn (if Jude can make all these plans, her twin can too)

And it really REALLY frustrates me that Jude tells anything to anyone. I know it's dangerous but I understand why she's misplaced, because nobody will really understand her.

bte, Cardan surprised me for good when he started to make a plan. We all thought he was useless but he has some guts!

message 40: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2269 comments Mod
The part under the sea was interesting, i liked how Jude decided to play along and fool them. Yeah, the Belekin making her kiss him was wtf? besides it looking like he's having a competition with Cardan it brought nothing to the story.

In the last chapters I was very surprised by Cardan 😂 like you said he seemed useless.

Elysian (haeliks) | 262 comments Bopeep wrote: "I'm on chapter 25 or 26, and I would write without spoiler tags c: How are the other buddirs that said anything going? ^^

None of you said anything about it but, I was the only one I was kind of e..."

Because of the abduction I rather were like: FINALLY, someone makes Jude pay for being an annoyance all the time. But yeah, I was not sure what to think about Balekin kissing Jude like ew. That was so disgusting. No joke. It added not really a thing and Balekin and Cardan's relationship could be presented in a less gross way...

Personally, I was also surprised with Cardan, but it didn't made me like him. All those "oh they expected me to be bad so I tried to be WORSE" character background was the WORST itself so it will take a while for me to like him. Maybe he just said that to trick silly Jude to gain her trusty? We will see.

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 704 comments I finally finished! So I can say I liked this book more then the second. The first one was the ascension of Jude and this is the one where she falls down. I like it as an ending~ Because I'm not planning to buy the sequel. But I will someday read it.

I thought they would marry so when Cardan sacrificed (?) she was Queen, but I like the ending as it is, and the title of the next book has a meaning.

Also Taryn... my gosh. I wasn't wrong to doubt about her.
I want to trust the Bomb and the Roach but... did they just mistaken her with Jude? Or they work for Madoc too? aaah.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.