The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
This topic is about Grave Mercy
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Read Discussions > Grave Mercy (Septemeber 2019) Buddy Read Discussion - Kairia, Mina, Aless, Maria, Heather

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 07:07AM) (new) - added it

Aless (alesstheintrovert) | 1024 comments Mod
Welcome to Grave Mercy Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on September 1st and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group. Any extra days can be used to catch up!

Each week we will be reading by chapters. The suggested Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 9/1
September 1: Chapters 1-5
September 2: Chapters 6-10
September 3: Chapters 11-15
September 4: Chapters 16-20
September 5: Chapters 21-25
September 6: Chapters 26-30
September 7: Chapters 31-35

Week of 9/8
September 8: Chapters 36-40
September 9: Chapters 41-45
September 10: Chapters 46-50
September 11: Chapters 51-54

Participants:
- Kairia
- Mina
- Aless
- Maria
- Heather
- Laura

Kairia I got my copy of the book from the library yesterday so I'll be starting the book sometime after midnight tonight. :)

message 3: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new) - added it

I am super excited to read this after starting Courting Darkness.

Kairia Good morning! I've just finished reading the chapters for today and I'm excited to see what everyone else thought. But first, I was curious how y'all came across Grave Mercy. My coworker randomly recommended me this one and pretty much all she told me was "assassin nuns."

I wasn't expecting to be pulled into this book so quickly but I found it so hard to put down when normally I struggle to focus. I blame LaFevers' writing style. After the first chapter, I had to check to see if this was a YA novel or not because while the character is revealed to be 14 years old, the writing style kind of reminds me of adult fantasy, such as the Witcher series. The grim, medieval setting, along with scenes relying on description more than dialogue, made the writing seem more mature than what I usually see in YA. I am honestly surprised to find that the author is American. The vocabulary this woman uses has had me taking notes so I can look up the subjects and words I'm most unfamiliar with.

I have always been a sucker for the academy/school style setting in stories and St. Mortain feels welcoming to its characters. Ismae is allowed to choose her fate from two options and neither are, as far as I can see, a bad choice. She can either have a nice husband or become an assassin. I'm glad she chose the more adventurous choice but it leads to the question of how they find and pick out the nice husbands?

Favorite Quotes
He dragged me down the steps, my knees bumping painfully against each one.
This one physically hurt to read.

...I am sorely vexed at being treated like a temptress when all I feel is bruised and broken.
Preach.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments It's about 5 am here for me and I have one hour left at work before heading home and to bed. My shift starts back up at 6 pm tonight and that is when I plan to knock out the first five chapters! I somehow committed myself to four separate buddy reads at the same time - oops!!

message 6: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
I saw the book here on GR and remembered the cover, I don't know if I read the synopsis if I did it didn't get my attention at that time. And then you asked for a buddy, the cover was familiar and the synopsis was okay so here I am :D

So far I don't know... the writing is simple which makes the reading go faster, but otherwise I'm meh about it for now. The beginning felt to fast I mean the abbess just dropped the "we kill people" in the second chapter. I saw that the 6th chapter is "three years later" which may explain why things are rushed like that in the first five chapters.

I saw your comment that Ismae is 14 and I was shocked. It's good that the book is going to take place in those "three years later" part which'll make her 17, because I'm not that comfortable reading about 14 yos in this setting. The wifely duties, although not okay, seemed more normal when I thought she was 16, 17.

Maria | 70 comments I still have not picked this book up from the library yet, but hopefully can tomorrow or soonish! So I might be a little behind ☹️

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Ch 1-5 completed!

Non-spoilery thoughts: the authors writing style is so easy to read. Those first five chapters flew by and I stayed engrossed in the story the whole time. I like that already the main few characters who've been introduced feel like separate beings and are developing their own traits. I'm also BR'ing another book from today and the characters all run together and have no real characteristics that stand out and I'm over 100 pages into it.

It's nearly midnight here so I'm going to continue on to the next five chapters before switching to one of the other BR's I have going!

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Ch6-10

I liked these chapters even more than the first five. I'm curious to find out where sybella went and to start unravelling the conspiracies surrounding the duchess and France. I already adore Duval's grumpy demeanor and while I haven't read anything about the series to know if there is going to be a romance between him and Ismae, I kind of hope eventually it develops as the whole enemy to lovers trope is a favorite of mine!

Laura ☾ | 1191 comments I might join in on this if you guys don't mind! :D (I can catch up today)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Laura wrote: "I might join in on this if you guys don't mind! :D (I can catch up today)"

Yes! I'm loving seeing people participate in this one. It's my third or fourth BR and most the others either no one ended up reading or they didn't post much.

Kairia The more the merrier! I'll be a little late reading and posting today as I won't have a chance to read until tonight.

message 13: by Laura ☾ (last edited Sep 02, 2019 04:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura ☾ | 1191 comments Just caught up to chapter 10 - so far I'm actually really enjoying this! it's been sitting on my TBR for far too long, not sure why I never got round to it!

I'm definitely getting the whole enemies-to-lovers vibe with Duval and Ismae as well!

message 14: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
I didn't have any electricity so I decided to read more and currently I'm on chapter 13, but I'll stop at the 15th. Now that Duval entered I'm more interested in this story, the enemies-to-lovers is what makes me excited for it :D

Maria | 70 comments I just finished chapter 10, and I agree... with Duval in it it’s definitely more interesting 😂. I have my assumptions of what might happen with him and Ismae.

Laura ☾ | 1191 comments Just finished Chopter 15 and I have to say I'm well and truly intrigued..

Kairia I have just finished reading chapter ten! Sorry about the late update. I was busy all day with my boyfriend and then fell asleep after. Whoops!
I don’t mind the enemies to lovers trope but I don’t care for it when it’s incredibly obvious from the characters’ initial meeting that that is going to happen. That’s what I felt as soon as Duval and Ismae are told to work together. Ah well.
I feel a bit dumb because they mentioned Bretons in these chapters and I was like “Those are real people?? I thought that was an Elder Scrolls thing!”

Laura ☾ | 1191 comments Kairia wrote: "I have just finished reading chapter ten! Sorry about the late update. I was busy all day with my boyfriend and then fell asleep after. Whoops!
I don’t mind the enemies to lovers trope but I don’t ..."

Yeah I get you - I hope it won't be too cheesy how it plays out with Duval and Ismae!

Brittany (or Bretagne now) was independent for a long time but eventually absorbed by the French! :) the Bretons are still quite seperate from the French in their culture even now

message 19: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (last edited Sep 03, 2019 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
😂 and then here I am, not even registering that Brittany and
Britain are not the same thing. The story taking place there makes so much sense now.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Just finished chapters 11-15 and I'm hooked. Really curious about several of the side characters and their stories and also while the enemies to lovers trope was fairly obvious from their initial pairing up by the abbess, I enjoy Duval and Ismae's interactions!

My cousin saw I was reading this and said the series is one of her favorites so I'm even more excited to get through this and see how it all plays out.

message 21: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new) - added it

I feel so bad. I'm writing my thoughts down in a post (it's like 3 days behind) and I'm just reading this slowly because of my schedule. I am hoping to sit down and just read this within the next few days.

Kairia Don’t be sad. Life happens. It’s completely understandable. Just make sure to share your thoughts when you’re ready. :)
I just finished Chapter 15 and am a little confused by the politics. But I’m sure it’ll settle in my head further down the line.

message 23: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (new) - added it

Kairia wrote: "Don’t be sad. Life happens. It’s completely understandable. Just make sure to share your thoughts when you’re ready. :)
I just finished Chapter 15 and am a little confused by the politics. But I’m ..."

Thanks for the kind words :)

message 24: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
I got a bit carried away 😅 I just finished chapter 25.

It's very interesting to read and easy, however I feel like nothing happened and I'm half way through. There were some discoveries that I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll play out.

Kairia Awww. That’s a bummer to hear. But sometimes there doesn’t need to be much happening to still enjoy a book.

Laura ☾ | 1191 comments I just finished chapter 25 as well!

I share your feeling so far Mina - it's pleasant to read and enjoyable but I don't feel like much has happened yet!

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments I fell behind after the first 3 days so hitting it tonight at work and reading ch 16-30 overnight!

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments At times, Ismae comes off as a brainwashed member of a cult.
Really hoping she starts thinking for herself instead of immediately bowing to what the convent has taught her.

Curious who sent the group of men to attack her and Duval and also what Sybell is up to.

Kairia I am in the exact same boat. I'll be reading at work and hopefully catching up tonight.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Kairia wrote: "I am in the exact same boat. I'll be reading at work and hopefully catching up tonight."

I'm chapter 18 currently, hoping my officers chill out so I can make some progress!

Kairia Officers?? Policeman or...?

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Kairia wrote: "Officers?? Policeman or...?"

Yeah lol, sorry! I dispatch :)

Kairia That's very cool. I'm sure you have some interesting stories. :)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Never a dull moment lol! I actually work for a pretty small agency now so I get a lot of downtime to read and write but used to work for a larger and much busier one which is where most of my good stories come from for sure.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments ch 16-20:

I adore the back and forth between Ismae and Duval. I love that their dynamic isn't being forced or rushed. And literally everything about him is my jam.
The intrigue of all the players in the court politics is fantastic. Definitely excited to see how it all plays out.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments ch 21-25

(view spoiler)

Kairia I just finished chapter 19 and there are two things I've noticed:
1. If an animal is named, it shall die. (RIP Nocturne)
2. I know Ismae is raised in an assassin convent, but every time she's disgusted or angry, she has to resist reaching for her knife. She needs more self-restraint and discipline.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments Wait. How old is the Duchess?

(view spoiler)

Kairia Yeah. Her age came as a surprise to me as well. This book doesn't do a great job with establishing the characters' age beforehand. It's happened twice now. First with Ismae, then with the duchess.

message 40: by HeatherH (last edited Sep 06, 2019 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments ggguuhhhhhh....... ch 29

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 632 comments through chapter 30, all caught up!

Creepy old guys and murderers amongst the duchess' advisors, tense family dynamics and the slow burning relationship developing - loving it all!

I'm really enjoying this one and plan to continue with the series if anyone else thinks they'd be interested.

message 42: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
Yeah, the duchess is young, and like Kairia said it's the second time we've been fooled. I hope the creepy old guy drops dead.

Maria | 70 comments So I’m very behind, which I’m sad about because I’m really into this book and keep wanting to read more but I don’t have enough time. But like I said I really like it so far!! I’m on chapter 14. I still enjoy Ismae and Duval’s interactions! I enjoy the plot, basically everything else about the book is interesting to me which is nice!! That’s my thoughts so far!

Kairia It's okay, Maria. It happens. I tend to run behind on my days off cause I have other hobbies I focus on when I'm not working. I just managed to catch up to Chapter 30 today.

I am more frustrated by Fedric's death than sad about it. I wonder how the story will progress at this point. I have no guesses.

But if I have to read about Duval's hands on Ismae's waist one more time...

Laura ☾ | 1191 comments Haahaha yes enough with the hands on the waist!

I'm also not really sure how they'll get out of that one!

message 46: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
We didn't really meet Fedric to be sad about his death, he was just an great opportunity for the duchess.

I'm somewhere on chapter 33, I think, hopefully I'll read tonight, but for now like Duval and the duchess I'm interested in the convent, I want to know more because for now our knowledge of it and it's way is poor. And since it's a book about killer nuns i think there should be more about the killer nuns. Also another thing that I want to find out more about is Sybella (view spoiler)

message 47: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
Guys how old do you think Duval is?

Maria | 70 comments I’m assuming between 18-30 which is a broad range or I picture him to be more like 20 or so when I read it.

message 49: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 3 stars

mina | 2220 comments Mod
So we have another, third, case of surprise this is the characters age. Your assumptions are right, he's 24-26...i thought he was around Ismae's age.

Maria | 70 comments Ohh ok!! So I was decently close to his age. Is Ismae like 18 or 19ish? I remember them mentioning it one time maybe in the beginning but I can’t remember. All i know is she around there I think.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.