Lois McMaster Bujold Fans discussion

Vorkosigan Universe > The new, mature Miles - how has he changed over the years since "The Warrior's Apprentice"?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirious) | 147 comments Mod
Clearly all the events since Miles' "death" have made a deep imprint on him. He seems vulnerable in a different way than he did as a 20-something... perhaps it's that he no longer believes he's invulnerable. But there's also his acceptance of his Vor status and his desire for a wife; someone willing to settle down with him. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Vorlady, ImpSec Tech (new)

Vorlady | 285 comments Mod
One thing I noticed was that as he matured, Miles found it less necessary to clarify what caused his physical differences. He seems more content to let people accept him as he is....

message 3: by vorbore, Ma Kosti's Apprentice (new)

vorbore | 284 comments Mod
There is that part in Memory about quiet place inside that I love so much. It is a turning point in his life, to discover having that place, and to discover that some things and/or people have no mass. It is not his death that made him improve that much - after all he did his most stupid stunt after that (lying in his report to Illyan) - but the point when he finally realizes that he cannot sell his heart for his heart's wish. As Mark put it: "Oh. So that's what integrity looks like. I didn't know. "

message 4: by vorthys (new)

vorthys | 47 comments I enjoy reading about the younger, "hyperactive little git" Miles, but the older, mature Miles is someone I would really want to spend time with. Or maybe my opinion of the mature Miles is being distorted by my love of Ekaterin.