The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GENERAL HELP > HOW TO CREATE A TICKER

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara ♥ (last edited Oct 06, 2010 09:29PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments If you want to make a ticker and don't know how... here's how:

HOW TO CREATE A TICKER

-Click this link: http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php?type=14

-Pick a pin number you'll remember...
-As your "object", type "points".
-Your cumulative value will be how many points you currently have.
-Target is total points in the challenge or whatever your goal is.
-The message (optional) will be like a title. (Ex - "Fall Challenge 2010".)
-Click next.

-Navigate through the "More Designs" pages and select a "ticker" bar. Once you've selected the one you want, hit next.
-Navigate through the "More Designs" pages and choose a "ticker slider", and then click next again.

Voilà! Your ticker is made!

To get your ticker to appear here, copy the HTML code (not the bbCode)... the one that starts with "-Enter your pin and your current points (as the "current cumulative value")
-Click next THREE TIMES.
-Copy and paste the HTML code again!

Note: You won't need to re-bookmark the page. The website will save your current point total for you.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments What type of ticker do we make? Fundraiser, Collecting, etc.

message 3: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments It's an Objects/Actions ticker. If you click on the link above it should take you there.

message 4: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I think I used the Savings version - but I'm sure any of them will work!

message 5: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 14 comments Ohh thanks for posting that! I want to do one!

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) Thank you for posting this! It was really helpful!

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments No problem! I love tickers, and want everyone to be able to experience the joy of having one, if they want! ;)

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) okay I made my ticker, I have it posted under my book thoughts, how do I make it show up on the posts>?

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) Teresa wrote: "okay I made my ticker, I have it posted under my book thoughts, how do I make it show up on the posts>? "

You have to update the ticker and cut and paste the new html language every time you post in completed tasks.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Melissa wrote: "Teresa wrote: "okay I made my ticker, I have it posted under my book thoughts, how do I make it show up on the posts>? "

You have to update the ticker and cut and paste the new html language e..."

so everytime I post I have to add it manually?

message 11: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yep... Unfortunately! And every time you want to post it, you have to go in and update your points... Fortunately, the code doesn't change.

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) thanks I think I will pass they are cute though

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Teresa wrote: "thanks I think I will pass they are cute though"

I just copy the HTML in a Word document. (The HTML code always stays the same, but you do have to update the points on the website every time you want to change the point total.) Then I simply copy that saved HTML code back into the GoodReads message block.

It's not that hard, but it does take some maintenance. :-)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments I have found that if the points don't appear to change after the repost, refreshing the page (hitting the f5 button on most machines) will correct that.

message 15: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 22 comments help.....
I were able to create my ticker and I try to copy the html code and paste it the comment box but my ticker never show only the htlm code.I need help on that I

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Try posting it here, and if the code shows up, just leave it, and maybe I'll be able to see what the problem is.

message 17: by Marie-vicky (last edited Sep 19, 2009 07:21PM) (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 22 comments

Wow it

message 18: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yay! It worked! It's really cute, too!

message 19: by kiki (last edited Sep 20, 2009 07:52PM) (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments

oooh, just making sure it worked! thanks for the help on this! :) i have a long way to swim. :(

message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Don't get tired and drown! ;)

message 21: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Sometimes I wonder if the horse on my ticker will get tired, but right now he's kind of at a stand-still... once I get these multi-book tasks done though - he'll be back to galloping!! LOL

message 22: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I've changed my ticker like... 8 times. Right now, this is what I've got:

I don't think the pirate hat will get tired, although maybe it will blow away if I don't read faster!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about half way through my first task! I had to choose something for Spring (even though this is the fall challenge) because I'm from Australia and it's Spring here !

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15614 comments Mod
Checking to see if this worked!

message 25: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments OK, I'm testing:

message 26: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:12PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Will it let you get to the ticker website? Or are you saying that you can't bookmark the website?

If it's just the latter, you can copy the URL into a word document and just copy/paste it from the word document every time you want to get there. Or you could save the URL or ticker in a goodreads writing. (Like here's my "chapter" from last challenge, where I posted my ticker: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3... (all the way at the bottom). You can just click on the ticker, and it will take you back to the ticker website where you can update your values.)

message 27: by Sarah (Mood Reader) (last edited Mar 07, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

message 28: by Barbara VA (last edited May 19, 2010 10:35PM) (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) I am trying

Whoopee!

message 30: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1646 comments I'm new here and I thought you might all like to know that you don't have to re-copy your code once you've established your ticker except to add it to a new location. I changed my final points and it updated automatically on both my blog and my Summer Plans post once I refreshed.

message 31: by ColleenPA (new)

ColleenPA | 84 comments I wanted to see if it worked too! Thanks!

message 32: by Tami (new)

message 33: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 240 comments just checking to see if my ticker worked. I'm new to all this...

message 34: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Just a test!

message 35: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I got this to work but I can't seem to update it right.

message 36: by Sara ♥ (new)

message 37: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Meghan... something is up with your html code. See that extra /a in the <>'s at the end? Something's up with that... I'd try copy/pasting again. You SHOULD be able to just click on your ticker (like mine, Tami's, and Colleen's are clickable) and it will take you back to the ticker website and let you update it.

message 39: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments YAY!!!! It worked!

message 40: by CaseyKS. (new)

message 41: by CaseyKS. (new)

CaseyKS. (kcmasterpiece_2000yahoocom) | 35 comments Anyone have any good book ideas. I have recently finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and I am needing something that is going to keep my attention.

message 42: by Tina (new)

message 43: by Tina (new)

Tina (garcia02) Whew.. That took me a minute.

message 44: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Casey- Have you read the Sookie Stackhouse Series? I plan on reading these soon they look really good. There is also a series that I have started (Night World by L.J. Smith) They are pretty good with twists for love stories.

message 45: by CaseyKS. (new)

CaseyKS. (kcmasterpiece_2000yahoocom) | 35 comments Thanks that is helpful, I have to admit that after I read the Twilight Saga I have been having a difficult time finding things to read. I appreciate your help! Have a great week!!!

message 46: by CaseyKS. (new)

message 47: by CaseyKS. (new)

CaseyKS. (kcmasterpiece_2000yahoocom) | 35 comments I have currently read my sister's keeper, The Short Second life of Bree Tanner, Secret Life of Bees, The Time Traveler's Wife. I read these before I joined this group.

message 49: by CathyNJ (new)

message 50: by Jane (new)

« previous 1