The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
This topic is about Wicked Saints
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Read Discussions > The Wicked Saints (Septemeber 2019) Buddy Read Discussion - Laura, Heather, Mina

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aless, Discord Procrastinator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 10:53AM) (new) - added it

Aless (alesstheintrovert) | 1024 comments Mod
Welcome to The Wicked Saints Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on September 12th and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group. Any extra days can be used to catch up!

Each week we will be reading by chapters. The suggested Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 9/12
September 12: Chapters 1-4
September 13: Chapters 5-8
September 14: Chapters 9-12

Week of 9/15
September 15: Chapters 13-16
September 16: Chapters 17-20
September 17: Chapters 21-24
September 18: Chapters 25-28
September 19: Chapters 29-32
September 20: Chapters 33-36 + epilouge

Participants:
- Laura
- Heather
- Mina
- Javiera

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments Already excited for this!

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Ch 1-4 done!

(view spoiler)

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments So far I’m really enjoying it! I raced ahead a bit (finished tomorrow’s chapters as well) but so far it’s an interesting world! And I’m enjoying learning more about the gods and the magic systems !

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Just finished ch 5-8...

(view spoiler)

message 6: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
I'm a bit late, kinda don't feel like reading.

I finished 1-8 chapters.
For now I like it, especially the Slavic names that's something that makes me grin like an idiot... but at the same time that's slowing me a bit because they are not written like I know them and I have to pause a second to understand. I also can't keep track of the gods, but that doesn't concern me for now because usually there's said something about them to make it less confusing.

Malachiasz (god, if I didn't listen to the audiobook while also reading it I wouldn't know how to pronounce it) being a vulture did surprise me, in hindsight it's kinda obvious but I'm glad I still got a bit of shock out of that.

Oh, I also like that Nadya is not new to her specialness and has knowledge of her powers. I liked her friendship with Kostya hopefully he's not dead, because I would really like to see more of their friendship.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments I just got the audio from the library and am going to try to listen as well, at least enough to get some pronunciations figured out lol! A little behind but will be catching up this weekend.

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments I've finished Chapter 16 on schedule

@mina yeah I like that this does away with the usual away with usual ‘discovering powers’ tropes and the ‘damsel’ trope - Nadya is aware of her limitations but not waiting to be saved

Regarding pronouniation I've kind of been reading them as if they were Czech names - like sz becomes a kind of sh sound etc (lived in Prague for a while so am familiar with those) - not sure if that's correct haha!

(view spoiler) 

message 9: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
Yeah, Malachiasz is definitely Czech because of the sz, unless another country has it. Nadezhda is a Serbian name, or at least we have it here as Nadežda which has the same pronunciation.

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments Finished Chapter 20!

It's taking all my willpower to not just keep reading haha!

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Fell behind in everything this weekend - work and sleep schedules were so out of whack. Should be caught up by tomorrows chapters!

message 12: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
I'm all caught up and I just finished chapter 25. I saw a friend didn't like this book and as I go through more pages I'm afraid there's going to be a part where I too will start disliking it, however I'm still enjoying it very much.

@Laura (view spoiler)

Chapter 22 (view spoiler)
Chapter 23 (view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Just finished ch 9-12. Have to break to get some paperwork done at work but planning to be through chapter 20 if not 24 before bed in the morning.

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Ch 13-16 done!

(view spoiler)

Also, am I the only one who sees a ton of similarities between this and Grave Mercy as far as (view spoiler)

message 15: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
:O I didn't saw Laura's spoiler.. I mean I probably did but because I was behind I didn't see what was under the tag. Some of the court questions have been answered by chapter 25 which just made the story more interesting to me.(view spoiler)

Now that you mention it...but I enjoy this one much more. Grave Mercy was entertaining and simple, but here I like the writing more and a big plus the deities and their workings are explained.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments mina wrote: ":O I didn't saw Laura's spoiler.. I mean I probably did but because I was behind I didn't see what was under the tag. Some of the court questions have been answered by chapter 25 which just made th..."

This story for sure has a lot more detail/explanation of the world and its deity and magic systems. Just hitting the part as they were prepping to enter the court was giving me GM vibes ha!

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments I see what you mean about the slight similarities - but I feel like this one has a much darker vibe!

Just finished chapter 24, and yeah a lot of the questions have been answered! (view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments All caught up!

(view spoiler)

message 19: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (last edited Sep 18, 2019 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
Since I listen to audio books while walking to the bus station I'm ahead. I finished chapter 29 and I planed finishing the book tonight because I want to know how it'll all play out by the end but I have to try and make a piñata so...

I agree with you Heather, all would be okay if the relationships were nicely developed over time. She talked to Serafin two, three times tops. And how long did she travel with Malachiasz and she's lovey dovey with him.

chapter 26(view spoiler)

Chapter 28 (view spoiler)

Chapter 29 (view spoiler)

general thoughts:(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments @Laura - since Mina is most likely finishing tonight, do you want to continue the pace or speed up? I can probably finish by tomorrow afternoon if not tonight (depends how busy work keeps me today).

message 21: by Laura ☾ (last edited Sep 17, 2019 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments I don't mind speeding up! I'll probably finish either later today or tomorrow in that case! I'm all caught up as per today's schedule but will continue in a bit!

Yeah I agree with you guys - their relationship seemed to come out of nowhere - they definitely needed more development. It's like flicking a switch!

Chapter 26 (view spoiler)

Chapter 28 (view spoiler)

Chapter 29 (view spoiler)

@ Mina yeah the sequel comes out next year I believe (view spoiler)

I've actually really enjoyed this so far (view spoiler)

message 22: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
I haven't finished it yet, but I will today.

@Laura (view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments I too am curious as to your job Laura!

Just finished ch 29.
(view spoiler)

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments Hahahah it's nothing that exciting I'm a lawyer - so sneaky wording and reading between the lines is kind of my bread and butter

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Ch 31 (view spoiler)

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments Ok so I've just finished this.

(view spoiler)

Let me know what you guys thought once you're done

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Just finished as well!

(view spoiler)

I enjoyed this overall with a few complaints, nothing that would keep me from picking up the next one when it's out!

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments (view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Laura wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

I'll never understand why all ya authors feel like every single story needs a romance! Oh well!

message 30: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
So many msgs :O

I finished it too.
I haven't even seen the missing cousin part 😂

I have mixed feelings too, but I kinda liked the end, or more I liked the feeling I had. I can't really explain it but when it was obvious that Serafin and Nadya are left to be allies, I liked that they are both broken and it somehow felt bittersweet.

The whole Malachiasz thing is catastrophic. Since the surprise that he's the king of vultures it was obvious he's not to be trusted so him turning out really evil was meh to me. And his reason to wanting more just felt flat..i don't know.

On the other hand Nadya's reaction to it is.. i'm rolling my eyes, except stupid I don't have anything to say for her.

NADYA+VULTURE MALACHIAS kissing= stupidity. If they had ended up together in the next book and he wanted to become a bigger monster for a greater cause I would've understood her try to draw out his human side or whatever.. but now? just plain stupid.

In the first half I wasn't... well not fond but I didn't really care for Serafin but here...he took the show. I'm digging that he's now a deity or something, I'm interested in that.

God, I really hope she won't push them together. I would really like to see a friendship. I'm rooting for more of Nadya's stupidity to be after Malachiasz if there has to be any romance.

But I have questions, like what happened with the necklace god? If he's on some side whose is it? Did Nadya press the pendant of the necklace into Malachiasz's hand? if yes, why?
I get that there has to be something for the other book but it felt more unanswered than usual.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments It did feel like a lot was left unanswered. Guess that's one way to bring people back for book 2 lol. I really enjoyed the book as a whole so I will come back but had it just been meh for me overall, the lack of conclusion probably would have pushed me away.

If you haven't read the throne of glass series through then (view spoiler)

message 32: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "It did feel like a lot was left unanswered. Guess that's one way to bring people back for book 2 lol. I really enjoyed the book as a whole so I will come back but had it just been meh for me overal..."

(view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Yeah he does.. book 2 maybe? I loved the series but I felt it was one that got better as it went. The first was enjoyable but I got way more invested the further into it I went.

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments I honestly didn't like the first two books in the series as much I thought they were just okay but from the third onwards I was hooked! It turns into something so different from what it starts as!

I see what you mean by comparing him to Dorian! It is a slightly similar vibe!

On a side note this was a good buddy read! I've had some that were really silent or not so interactive! :D

message 35: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
I didn't like the first I kept rolling my eyes and was annoyed by the characters so no way I was planing or am planing to continue it.

Yeah, this was a great buddy read. My first buddy read was... well I don't know if it can be considered a buddy read but after that I've read with active people thank god. Sorcery of thorns was one of this month's group read books and people that read it mostly said they loved it but I didn't have anyone new reading with me so I still haven't finished it even though I liked what I read.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments @Laura - I was going to comment on that as well.. I have had some where no one showed up to buddy read or they posted comments on a whole book within a day or so then went silent. Both this one and Grave Mercy with you ladies has been a lot more active and I appreciate that!

@mina - I just ordered Sorcery of Thorns and should have it early next week so if you haven't finished I'll read with you!

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments Good thing we have more reads coming up together! Hehe

I hope you both enjoy a Sorcery of Thorns! I loved it!

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments I've heard so much good about it! Just hoping I haven't gotten too high of expectations lol.

Laura ☾ | 1174 comments I would say it was an enjoyable light read - don’t expect too much substance or anything too profound though!

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments I'm good with that! Thanks :)

message 41: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
I'm grateful for the upcoming buddy reads with you guys and for those that we have yet to make plans for 😁

I was planing on finishing Sorcery by the end of the week BUT since you are offering 😁 i'll wait for you to get your copy and then to start it because I already read 85 pages.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Sounds good!

message 43: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
@Heather have you received your copy of Sorcery of Thorns?

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments Yes! Sorry! It showed up Tuesday but haven't yet started it. I'm going to start it within the next day. How far in are you so far?

message 45: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
I read 9 chapters

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments copy that! I'll be bringing it to work with me so I'll try to get caught all the way up!

message 47: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2195 comments Mod
😊 okay, and then we'll switch to the group read thread for it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 625 comments sounds good!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.