Great American Read List discussion

The Stand
This topic is about The Stand
Stand-Alone Novels > Sept/Oct 2019 - THE STAND by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew, moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 06:49AM) (new) - added it

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
The winner for our next stand-alone novel is The Stand by Stephen King.

To all who voted: thank you!
To everyone: I hope you'll participate and read this selection for our book club.
For those who do: share your thoughts as you read, please!
Spoilers are allowed; add a considerate warning if your comment includes any so members have the option to skip.

A few notes on this book:
* It came in at #24 on the final Great American Read list.
* It has a 4.34 average Goodreads rating.
* The "Complete & Uncut Edition," published in 1990, is almost 1200 pages long. The original version, published in 1978, was about 800 pages.
* It was adapted into a TV mini-series back in 1994. A new version is currently in development for CBS All-Access.

I made this a two-month read, due to the length. If you're reading this with us, it's obviously up to you which version you read. Looking at reviews, some people seem to like the uncut version, while some think the shorter version is better.

message 2: by Andrew, moderator (new) - added it

Wow, I looked at the paperback version of this at the bookstore yesterday, and it's a brick! I don't really have time to start this right now anyway, since I'm still working on War and Peace, but if I do read this, it'll have to be as an ebook.

message 3: by Andrew, moderator (new) - added it

I took a shot at this book, but didn't get too far. What I read of it wasn't bad, but I was too busy with other stuff to keep at it, and had to return it to the library. I did just buy the ebook last week though, so I'm going to take another shot at it, eventually.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (artemitch) Has anyone else read this? I've only read one King novel (IT) and wasn't a huge fan... I'll likely try out a few more books of his. Carrie looks good to me, as does 11/22/63.

Bethany | 123 comments I just finished Under the Dome. It was pretty good. King does a good job of creating very memorable scenes that linger. I read The Stand last year and had some issues with it. Under the Dome had more well rounded characters.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (artemitch) Bethany wrote: "I just finished Under the Dome. It was pretty good. King does a good job of creating very memorable scenes that linger. I read The Stand last year and had some issues with it. Under the Dome had mo..."

Oh, I agree about the scenes and the characters. I thought the first few hundred pages of IT were fantastic . . . but then the story just got drawn out and I found myself starting to get bored around the 600-page mark. And the ending didn't do it for me.

The psychology into the characters, though, is fantastic, as are most of the descriptions.