One Cry in the Night - Landscape, folk and other horrors discussion

Introduce yourself/some context

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
This group is for horror reading - focussing on weird, folk, landscape, classic, modern etc but think more Samanta Schweblin (for modern) or things like The King in Yellow, MR James, Dracula for the classics (though we keep an open mind!)

I'm Owen, 37, living in the SW of England. This is my favourite genre so hopefully others will join in! We will have main reads and side-reads, the mains will have polls if we get more members but initially will just be my nomination to keep the group active.

Say hi below!

message 2: by Renay (new)

Renay | 8 comments I’m Renay. I’m 27 and live in the southeastern region of the USA. I’m a librarian’s daughter so I have been around books for as long as I can remember. I like expanding my horizon from my usual genres of mystery and fantasy. I do enjoy folklore, but I know horror will be a stretch. Here’s to keeping my lights on all night!

message 3: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Hi Renay! Welcome - hope it isn't too scary but obviously no pressure if any of the books are a bit too much. Generally I was thinking of focussing on older classics rather than newer things, though obviously the first pick is more modern. Feel free to make any recommendations or stuff you've always wanted to read and we can add those to the 'to read' pile :)

message 4: by Renay (new)

Renay | 8 comments Ok, great!

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments Hi everyone, I'm Claire. I just turned 29 and I live in South Wales, UK.
I'm a big reader of lots of different genres, dont very often venture in to horror but have started dipping my toe in with Paul Tremblay's works.
I'm a huge lover of mythology, mostly Norse, and folklore/fairytales. I'm currently exploring local folklore in Wales as I'm fascinated in reading stories from my Welsh ancestry.

Looking forward to reading and having discussions with you all.

message 6: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Hey Claire :) - have you come across Mark Rees (http://markreesonline.com/books/)

I haven't read or listened to the podcast but this is also way up my street. If the mood is to broaden this into folklore and horror then I'm super happy to go with the flow on that, it's one of my big interest areas too.

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments Owen! You have just seriously added to my wish list! Lol.

I've never heard of him before but his work looks very interesting. I especially like the sound of the A-Z of curious Wales.
Have you read any of them?

Yeah I'm happy to go into folklore and horror. Like i said I'm still a bit new to reading horror but I'm interested in delving in a bit more :)

message 8: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Ha, sorry :)

I only came across him on Twitter recently so I haven't read anything yet. I do plan to though - buddy read?

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments Owen wrote: "Ha, sorry :)

I only came across him on Twitter recently so I haven't read anything yet. I do plan to though - buddy read?"

Yeah sounds good. I'm ordering the A-Z and the Ghosts of Wales. I've put the others on my wish list for another time lol. The descriptions of these two pulled me in the most.

message 10: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Cool! I'll get on the case and set up a side read thread

message 11: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Ok I've updated the group description here to now make it clear we're folklore/mythology and spookier stuff. My thinking is we alternate a main read between those two broad categories with side reads coming from either.

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments Owen wrote: "Ok I've updated the group description here to now make it clear we're folklore/mythology and spookier stuff. My thinking is we alternate a main read between those two broad categories with side rea..."

Sounds good to me :)

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 4 comments Hello everyone,
I live in Manchester, England. I love many genres but my reading/writing always turns to folklore, supernatural and ancestral stuff, particularly around this time of year. Looking forward to many dark, stormy nights reading some of the things suggested here!

message 14: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Hey - Andrew, welcome! You're in good company then I think, this started off as folk horror and then refined a bit so we will alternate between a horror and folk/mythology in the main reads and then anything goes in the side reads. We haven't long stated a Head Full of Ghosts if you wanted to catch up, also feel free to suggest any buddy reads.

Glad to have you in the crypt :)

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments Welcome Andrew, looking forward to reading and discussing with you.

Owen your last comment made me think of Tales from the Crypt lol. Haven't seen that in years! I used to love the skeleton at the beginning.

message 16: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Oof yeah I loved tales from the crypt as a kid. Not enough horror anthologies these days!

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 4 comments Owen wrote: "Oof yeah I loved tales from the crypt as a kid. Not enough horror anthologies these days!"

I was/am a huge Hammer fan.

message 18: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments I don't think I've ever really watched much Hammer, other than The Birds. But I do like Peter Cushing so like the older horror films with him in. Not sure if any of them are Hammer though.

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 4 comments Claire wrote: "I don't think I've ever really watched much Hammer, other than The Birds. But I do like Peter Cushing so like the older horror films with him in. Not sure if any of them are Hammer though."

The Birds wasn’t Hammer, it was an Alfred Hitchcock film. But yes, Peter Cushing did many Hammer films. He and his good friend Christopher Lee were synonymous with them.

message 20: by Claire (new)

Claire | 77 comments Oh my god thats right. Haha! I cant believe i got that mixed up. Yes I've always liked Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. The Gorgon was one I really liked.
I also liked Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes (although Jeremy Brett is my favourite Holmes).

message 21: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Are Hammer still making films? I had in mind that the Woman in Black was Hammer but could be wrong.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 4 comments Owen wrote: "Are Hammer still making films? I had in mind that the Woman in Black was Hammer but could be wrong."
Yes, ‘new’ Hammer brought out the two Woman In Black movies, Let Me In, Wake Wood and The Quiet Ones. Christopher Lee quite aptly made an appearance in their The Resident. There was nothing new for a few years but now there’s one due out this November, The Lodge.
I’m still a fan of the old Cushing ones.

message 23: by Ben (new)

Ben (roobag) | 3 comments Hello all.
I am Ben from Essex (the moody, dog walking, estuary kind of Essex not the other kind).
I joined this group as I became interested in reading again thanks to The Loney, Hollow Shores and Water Shall Refuse Them having established my interest in Folk Horror and Weird Fiction.
I haven’t had much experience in this area so I am keen to find more..

message 24: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Hey Ben, welcome to the group! It's pretty new and still finding its feet so hopefully a good time to get involved. We decided to alternate between horror and folklore in the main reads (just started is Norwegian Folktales) but there is loads of scope for side reads.

I don't think we have a horror side read going on right now if you have anything you want to suggest. I'm reading The King in Yellow atm if that appeals or feel free to suggest something.

message 25: by Owen (new)

Owen | 105 comments Mod
Oh btw Ben - I live right by the Severn so definitely with you for a folk horror estuary haunt!