Reading the Detectives discussion

Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot, #19)
This topic is about Appointment with Death
Poirot Buddy Reads > Poirot Buddy Read 21: SPOILERS Appointment with death

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica | 366 comments Welcome to the spoiler thread! If you haven't finished the book yet, please proceed with caution...

Tara  | 809 comments Overall I enjoyed this book, but struggled with some elements not necessarily related to the murder itself. My review is here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ultimately, my biggest qualm is with how the Boyntons turn out. Granted it is 5 years down the road, but people in their 30s do not grow a spine where none existed before. These people would be incapable of making any decisions, and while there would be relief that their abuser was dead, that would not magically solve their problems. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Also, did anyone else feel like the explanation for the murder was haphazardly thrown in at the end? How was the reader to know that the murderer had a motive for the killing to even consider them a suspect?

Roman Clodia | 812 comments I spotted the clues to this one! Though that's partly because Christie has used that over-the-shoulder thing before.

I really liked how the desert camp with its limited possibilities became the equivalent of the country house.

I agree, the end came a little too soon - and I'm not sure I agree with Poirot's judgement at the end.

message 4: by Doris (last edited Sep 12, 2019 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doris (webgeekstress) | 40 comments This was a re-read for me, and I had vaguely remembered the who and why, but not the how.

I agree that Christie is cheating here: she doesn't give us enough clues to spot the culprit. And yes, the happy ending feels tacked on and implausible. Plus, I am tired of the guilty party committing suicide when his/her guilt is revealed trope. *Why* do authors do that?

Would anyone else like to speculate on how Lady Westholme had managed to end up in prison in the first place? I'm thinking embezzlement.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Sep 10, 2019 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Lending (dianefromvirginia) | 22 comments Tara wrote: "Overall I enjoyed this book, but struggled with some elements not necessarily related to the murder itself. My review is here:

Ultimately, my bigg..."

I agree with Tara that we were not given the clues that Lady Westholme had a motive for the crime. I've read the book too many times to remember whether I suspected her the first time I read the book. However one of my secret joys about the culprit was (mild spoiler about the play version of this book follows) (view spoiler) I'll be rereading the play soon to see.

Tara  | 809 comments Diane wrote: "Tara wrote: "Overall I enjoyed this book, but struggled with some elements not necessarily related to the murder itself. My review is here:

Ultima..."

If you follow the All About Agatha podcasts Diane, they do discuss the play in their review of this book, and detail how the plot is altered. It is an interesting change, and something that might have made for a more entertaining read.

Roman Clodia | 812 comments Oh, interesting that some of you felt that Christie 'cheated' in this one. I spotted that Mrs Boynton wasn't speaking to Sarah, and because of that noted the number of times that Lady Westholme's breeches were mentioned so I felt the clues were there, with the motive guessable given Mrs B's previous career as a prison warden. After all, doesn't Poirot intuit that motive, too?

Sandy | 2787 comments Mod
I listened to this on a day I was unwell so my opinion might be biased. I felt the solution was just pulled out of the blue. Nor did I have any sympathy for the romantic entanglements. I should reread it again someday when things are going better.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2872 comments Sandy wrote: "I listened to this on a day I was unwell so my opinion might be biased. I felt the solution was just pulled out of the blue. Nor did I have any sympathy for the romantic entanglements. I should rer..."

I hope you feel better soon - agreed, not feeling well can definitely color your opinion, I was in hospital, started audiobook of Bleak House, kept dozing off, still haven’t finished! Every time I try, I fall asleep or feel the nausea from anesthesia!