Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2009-09 Three Stigmata - intial thoughts *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Please let us know if you're still reading, or planning to read, this novel. No spoilers please!

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I am so excited to read this book. I checked with my library today and it is "in transit", so I should be starting it by Thursday.

message 3: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I probably won't get around to re-reading this book, and it's been about 10 years, so I asked Ron to lead the discussion again this month since he did such an excellent job last month with the Consider Phlebas discussion.

Maybe we'll even get another limerick! :)

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I'm about halfway through this book and I've kinda hit a wall (of weirdness). Putting it aside for a couple of days, then I'll go back to it.

message 5: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 804 comments I finished this one a couple weeks ago. It does have some weird elements, but those are part of what I liked about the book. :)

message 6: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Weird is kinda par for the course with PKD, I think. There are some sections in his books that are so uncomfortably strange that I had to close the book and walk away for a second. The man was a genius.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I have completely lost track of which books are being read in which groups and when. I just checked my library's website and it says "missing on shelf". I guess I may have to use the 30% Borders coupon I just got. I like PKD well enough to own a copy.

message 8: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments I first read this about a year and a half ago and liked it immensely. It starts off as if it's going to be slightly weird, and then becomes deeply weird until by the end your head has to untwist on your neck like a cartoon character.

message 9: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Ron: I am visualizing this; it sounds painful - haha!

message 10: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments I read this several years ago and don't plan to re-read it. I hope I remember enough about it to participate in the discussion though. If not, I can always browse. At any rate, I found it nearly incomprehensible, so a re-read would probably be helpful! :-)

message 11: by Ricky (new)

Ricky (trulyblissed) | 6 comments I want to reread it if I have time. PKD was a genius. His books took ordinary smucks into extraordinary worlds and made you question reality.

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Ricky wrote: "I want to reread it if I have time. PKD was a genius. His books took ordinary smucks into extraordinary worlds and made you question reality."

It usually takes a second reading to even understand PKD.

I went to Borders today, they didn't have it either.

message 13: by Ricky (new)

Ricky (trulyblissed) | 6 comments I just started it again. I know Dick's books weren't perfect but the man was a genius. They left you really thinking about reality. If you read books to find yourself in a cozy and quaint world, Dick is not for you. If you read to question everything, then Dick is one of your men. And I think books should make us question things. Too may people accept things told to them as if God told them this. Dick always kept the rug pulled out from under you.

message 14: by Ricky (new)

Ricky (trulyblissed) | 6 comments Ron wrote: "I first read this about a year and a half ago and liked it immensely. It starts off as if it's going to be slightly weird, and then becomes deeply weird until by the end your head has to untwist on..."

I love this description. It's so apt.

message 15: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Ricky, I think your post (#13) is right on the mark. A review I read comparing writing to painting suggested that PKD is more like Dali than Picasso; Picasso simply rearranged familiar elements, but Dali morphed them into completely new things. They both change how you see, but Dali goes deeper into the basic question of what things are.