Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2009-09 The City & The City - intial thoughts *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Please let us know if you're still reading, or planning to read, this novel. No spoilers please!

message 2: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 15 comments I'm planning on reading it. I have a hold on it at the library but I'm number 30 out of 80 holds on 17 copies so it might be a little while until its my turn to read it. I'm looking forward to it though.

message 3: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Read this and loved it. a great combination of the hard-boiled detective, police procedural, and Miéville's love of bizarre cityscapes. As if Eastern Europe wasn't alien enough, he gives us this pair of intertwined cities.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I thought his use of the cities was intersting. How many of us "unsee' parts of our city?

message 5: by C12vt (new)

C12vt | 14 comments I just finished it. I enjoyed it, though I wouldn't say I couldn't put it down. I thought the "unseeing" was perhaps the most interesting part.

message 6: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) On chapter three, and I am digging it very much, but then I am a huge fan of Mieville.

The one thing that's blown me away so far is the way he uses or chooses to drop punctuation when he talks about the two cities together, so that the cities have a physical manifestation of their intertwining right there on the page. Clever and effective.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 4 comments I've just begun listening to the audio version. I'm about three chapters in and am liking it so far, but I'm finding it difficult to understand and remember names of places and characters with out the aid of the visual words.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane (hippygoth66) | 101 comments Got a copy from the library yesterday just on chapter three at the moment.
Before starting the book I thought that the idea of the other city would be something that is revealed rather than something that is known from the start.
Looking forward to reading the rest

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've only read the first little bit, but already I'm hooked! Can't wait to take part in the discussion.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I was just the opposite, the first 30 or 40 pages I could not get into this. Not sure what was going on, Ended up putting it down. Picked it up again after a couple of months and restarted it. Same thing. Worked through it and eventually everything clicked