The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and future planning > Nominations for SEPTEMBER - see Poll

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
What would you like to read in September?

Sorry for the late start. I'm still catching up.

Please suggest the books that you are most interested in reading right now. The books mentioned by the most people will go to the poll, or if there is clear winner, we'll get started right away. Please submit suggestions by SUNDAY.

You can support other's suggestions too by adding them to your list.

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Sheesh - I need to look at the list. Thanks, Nancy, for keeping us together. Maybe we should stretch The Sun Also Rises out a little longer or take a wee break? Everyone seems so busy right now! Anyway, I'll be back with thoughts after I peep the list.

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2019 08:36PM) (new)

Ella wrote: "Sheesh - I need to look at the list. Thanks, Nancy, for keeping us together. Maybe we should stretch The Sun Also Rises out a little longer or take a wee break? Everyone seems so busy right now! An..."

I added another week to Sun Also RIses, and I can add more. I have it on CD in the car, but I haven't been driving as much.

Take a look at the August nomination thread too see what others suggested last month too. A buddy read was suggested . I really want to read a James Baldwin book that isn't on the list.

message 4: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 91 comments Mod
I plan to read at least the first book of the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin in the next 3 months. It is not a long book so it would not be a long commitment for anybody. PBS had a miniseries of this years ago and it was so good.

message 5: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Janet wrote: "I plan to read at least the first book of the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin in the next 3 months. It is not a long book so it would not be a long commitme..."

Know what - I adore that series, and I've not read it since it came out, so I'll second that - it's a light read & a wonderful series. We should read the whole series eventually b/c it's just that good. (Honestly, I think I didn't like one in the very middle, but I can't remember why or even which one it was -- maybe Babycakes?)

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 04:06PM) (new)

I read the first one last year and it's lots of fun. I wonder if my library has the miniseries.

I'm also interested in If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin. His book Another Country is on our list. I think Mandy read it recently.

EDIT- I should have suggested James Baldwin's Another Country first, which IS on the list.

Margaret Atwood's The Testaments will be released September 10th. It's a sequel to Handmaid's Tale (which is on the list). It might be fun to read Handmaids tale and then The Testaments. It will probably be hard to get right away since it's on the Booker long list. It will be harder still if it makes the short list (Sept 3?). If it gets good reviews, I'll probably just buy it. (I've been very good this year with my "library card -not credit card" resolution.) Maybe for October? January?

message 7: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

NancyJ wrote: "I read the first one last year and it's lots of fun. I wonder if my library has the miniseries."

Apparently Netflix put out a reprisal of the miniseries last June. Several of the stars from the first miniseries reprised their roles. It might be easier to find.

message 8: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments NancyJ wrote: "I read the first one last year and it's lots of fun. I wonder if my library has the miniseries.

I'm also interested in If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin. His book Another Co..."

Yeah - I'm already on the library waiting list, and I have been since they listed it, but I'm number 43 in a line that seems pretty endless, so I'm thinking I'll probably end up purchasing it as well. I'd really hoped not to have to buy an expensive hardback, but in reality, I will want that book. They've put out a new edition of the Handmaid's Tale to match the Testaments too. I wonder if they'll have a paperback in the UK? I may check on that.

message 9: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments If Beale Street Could Talk should be available in paperback.
Abe Books is a fantastic source for used hardcover and paperback books. I got one o the Outlandish Companion books, (which cost $50.00 in hardback) brand new for $17.00.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 33 comments Dona Barbara
Oscar Wao
A Separate Peace
Tom Sawyer
Alex Cross

message 11: by Jackieoh (new)

Jackieoh I would love to do dune or the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

message 12: by Codie (new)

Codie | 61 comments Are we doing Gilead sometime soon? I feel like it was slated for a fall/winter month somehow, but I can’t find where I had read that.

Other than Gilead (if it isn’t saved for an upcoming month) my picks are Great Gatsby and Oscar Wao.

I read Handmaid’s Tale last year, I would LOVE to read The Testaments at some point.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "I read the first one last year and it's lots of fun. I wonder if my library has the miniseries.

I'm also interested in If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin. His book Another Co..."

I read "Beale Street" this year in the spring, Nancy, as the film was coming out. The first three pages made me think maybe I was going to toss it, but I'd spent money on it to read it before the film came out, and wound up loving it! Amazing family. (and ironically, the film left town before I could see it).
And Parker's right. Because of the film, new paperback versions are available.

message 14: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Ella wrote: "Know what - I adore that series, and I've not read it since it came out, so I'll second that - it's a light read & a wonderful series. We should read the whole series eventually b/c it's just that good."
Nancy - Since there are so many series on the list we might add a new category to our reading and choose (besides a long book and another reading selection) a series to read. We could read a book a month for as long as the series lasts. Some, e.g. Outlander could be read bimonthly since they are so long.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 11:10AM) (new)

Ella wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I read the first one last year and it's lots of fun. I wonder if my library has the miniseries.

I'm also interested in If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin. His ..."

We can wait on Beale Street. My library still has some old copies, printed before they made the movie. They have 50+ copies of the movie!

A few of the new paperbacks might end up in used bookstores or library donations by later this year.

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 11:14AM) (new)

Codie wrote: "Are we doing Gilead sometime soon? I feel like it was slated for a fall/winter month somehow, but I can’t find where I had read that.

Other than Gilead (if it isn’t saved for an upcoming month) m..."

Yes, I slotted Gilead for Nov 1-Dec 15, If we like it, we can keep reading the sequels.

Janet , it would be great to read series if we get a small group committed to keep it up. Tales of the City also has a series.

message 17: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

I have been in a group that was dedicated to reading the twelve books of A Dance to the Music of Time, Complete Set: 1st Movement, 2nd Movement, 3rd Movement, 4th Movement. It was a very enjoyable experience. If you set something like that up I would be willing to moderate it.

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments Yes, I read Beale Street earlier this year! Looking forward to reading more Baldwin soon - I’ll participate in a discussion if we decide on Beale Street.

I’m also planning to read Testaments when it comes out and am reading Handmaids Tale now. I’ll be in the line for the library copy so agree with waiting until January!

The recent Tales from the City series on Netflix was wonderful - highly recommend for those who liked the books!

message 19: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments I’m also catching up on The Sun Also Rises now.

message 20: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I'm tallying the nominations now, but first I should ask:

Who wants to read or reread Handmaid’s Tale in September, in anticipation of the sequel The Testaments?

message 21: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments NancyJ wrote: "I'm tallying the nominations now, but first I should ask:

Who wants to read or reread Handmaid’s Tale in September, in anticipation of the sequel The Testaments?"

Yes - I vote yes for rereading The Handmaid's Tale ASAP! Let's do it (plus it's short and OH SO EXCELLENT)

message 22: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 09:47PM) (new)

The top two book are

Oscar Wao
Handmaid's Tale

Tales of the City - ineligible. we read it last October.

I set up a poll to choose one or both of these books to discuss Sept 5 - Oct 15.

message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Yeah - so I'm just seconding everything aren't I?
Um, I've read almost all of them, so I'll second/vote for:
Here are my votes -- for the already-mentioned books:

This month or next or whenever we're voting for:
1) Rereading Handmaid before The Testaments lands on my doorstep

2) I would like to read Doña Barbara too - and I've NOT read that yet. (Anyone know if the spanish is too dated for me to be able to read it ¿en español? Written in Venezuela of the 1920s - probably not too far-afield?)

Separately - In an extra sort of thing (b/c there are 9 books minimum in that series, I believe - maybe more?) A full-out, planned reread of the whole Tales of the City series - I would be happy to co-lead that with someone else. Probably a few of us should sign up to corral that if we do it.

As an aside:
I would love to reread A Separate Peace, but I'm still crying from the first time through as a child - I honestly don't know if I could handle that. But everyone should read that book.

message 24: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Ella wrote: "Yeah - so I'm just seconding everything aren't I?
Um, I've read almost all of them, so I'll second/vote for:
Here are my votes -- for the already-mentioned books:

This month or next or whenever..."

Janet is planning to read Tales of the City (all three?) in the next three months and I she would be willing to facilitate the discussion.

We can take the current nominations and plan for October in the next week or two.

message 25: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Ella - It would be great if you were a co-leader for Tales of the City.
My thoughts are that a book a month for nine months would be good and would not be a big time commitment for those who wish to join us. You are correct that it would be good for a few others to join in. Here's hoping.

message 26: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Janet wrote: "Ella - It would be great if you were a co-leader for Tales of the City.
My thoughts are that a book a month for nine months would be good and would not be a big time commitment for those who wish ..."

There are nine? I thought there were only 3. The first one was a really fast read.

message 27: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

There are nine in the series. The first three incorporate Tales of the City in the title. The fact that they are quick reads was part of why I thought we could have a separate category for series so that we could focus on them just like we have a separate category for long reads. Since there are thirteen or fourteen series on the GAR list it would be on long term goal.

message 28: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments Will NEVER read The Handmaid's Tale. Too much like real life. I think it would be too much of a trigger. I once was engaged to a guy who insisted that when we got married that I would stay home and have his babies. Needless to say, I broke the engagement after telling him he could find someone who would do that, because I was going to college.

message 29: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Janet wrote: "There are nine in the series. The first three incorporate Tales of the City in the title. The fact that they are quick reads was part of why I thought we could have a separate category for series s..."

I completely agree w/ Janet's thoughts on all of the series being in a separate category, like the long reads. We could try to do one series per year or even per two years?

message 30: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Parker wrote: "Will NEVER read The Handmaid's Tale. Too much like real life. I think it would be too much of a trigger. I once was engaged to a guy who insisted that when we got married that I would stay home and..."

The scariest part to me in the Handmaid's Tale is not the horrors of Gilead - it's the way they get control of the people. Suddenly one day every woman is told she may no longer work & businesses say "sorry, but we have to stay open..." Lots of frowny men & the women leave, then very quickly they can no longer use their credit cards or banks - women can't use money -- all of this in a very "normal" society that looks a lot like ours. I have been so scared of that part of the book ever since b/c it could easily happen & I'm not sure what would happen - especially now that we all use cards for money instead of actual cash. It could SO easily happen - freaking terrifying. Literally nothing would have to change besides someone in power saying "don't let women use money."

message 31: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Ella wrote: "Parker wrote: "Will NEVER read The Handmaid's Tale. Too much like real life. I think it would be too much of a trigger. I once was engaged to a guy who insisted that when we got married that I woul..."

I should save this for our discussion, but (view spoiler)

message 32: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Ella wrote: "Janet wrote: "There are nine in the series. The first three incorporate Tales of the City in the title. The fact that they are quick reads was part of why I thought we could have a separate categor..."

If we do this, we're going to need to do more outreach into the goodreads community to attract the people who really want to read those books. We need bigger numbers to build the momentum to support a long series.

When the PBS show was still on, I used twitter to publicize the books we were reading, but I think gr invitations might be more beneficial now. The books on the GAR list are now being read in many different groups in gr, and they are on many lists they weren't on before.

message 33: by Ella (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:20AM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Janet messaged me last night and yes, I agree -- we need to get a larger group. Let's talk about it on a day when my computer & phone aren't on the fritz - hopefully better soon. Talking to verizon as we speak

We could still try twitter w/ book hashtags too

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Ella, as for Doña Bárbara , I think the Spanish won't be all that archaic, since it's turn of the century, but there might be some regional horse/cattle/cowboy talk that could throw you here and there. I bought my own paperback copy a couple of years ago, when they remade the series for TV, but haven't re-read it yet.