Book Nook Cafe discussion

Books > The Book Salon ~~ September 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments

This the thread for general book discussions for September 2019

Tell us what you just read, are currently reading or plan to read. Tell us about your favorite author. Have you read some book news? Share it with the group. Anything related to books and reading, we want to hear all about it !
:)

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Aug 31, 2019 06:03PM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments A Rule Against Murder A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4) by Louise Penny by Louise Penny

In this 4th book in the 'Chief Inspector Armand Gamache' series, the Canadian detective investigates a very puzzling case. The book can be read as a standalone.

Interesting mystery. 3.5 stars

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Barbara, i think your point about the author sharing the philosophical points (in their minds) was something that bothered me about the series when i read the first 3 in the series several years ago. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but you summed it up well.

Dem, do you know if this was made into a movie? I'm thinking we saw something very similar but the tech aspect wasn't there. It was a bit creepy in that one could feel what seemed to be spousal manipulations. Yuk. :-)

PattyMacDotComma | 895 comments I enjoyed this gorgeous children's book and added some of the pictures in my review. The Piano Recital by Akiko Miyakoshi.
The Piano Recital by Akiko Miyakoshi 4.5★ Link to my 'Piano Recital' review

PattyMacDotComma | 895 comments This is a very short read that I'm sure you'd all enjoy by much-loved, Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison, who died recently.

Sweetness is available free online. I included a link to the discussion which also has the link to the story.
Sweetness by Toni Morrison 5★ Link to 'Sweetness' review

message 7: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I enjoyed this gorgeous children's book and added some of the pictures in my review. The Piano Recital by Akiko Miyakoshi.
The Piano Recital by Akiko Miyakoshi 4...."

Adorable. :) Good review and lovely pics.

message 8: by madrano (last edited Sep 02, 2019 11:05AM) (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Patty, interesting topic, "passing" and skin coloration, etc. For others interested, here is a direct link to the story, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20... (I couldn't find it initially in the link Patty offered--i see it plainly now)

I cannot imagine the choices and decisions confronted someone who can "pass". The old movie i remember about the topic starred Jeanne Crain and Ethel Waters, titled "Pinky". It was based on Cid Ricketts Sumner's Quality, i just learned. (AND i just learned that she started the "Tammy" series of books, upon which the films were based! I loved those as a teen.)

ANYway, it's tough to imagine the challenges and i like Morrison's approach from an aging mother POV. I was unaware that this is a problem with the Australian Aborigines population, too. What a sad man Mr. Bolt was to stir that hornet's nest, i must add.

message 9: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments madrano wrote: "Patty, interesting topic, "passing" and skin coloration, etc. For others interested, here is a direct link to the story, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20... (I couldn't find i..."

This reminded me of the classic book
Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin Black Like Me---John Howard Griffin

message 10: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 02, 2019 12:43PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments Publishers Weekly revealed the top-selling print books in 2019, so far.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens—907,192

Becoming by Michelle Obama—888,611

Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild by Dav Pilkey—524,849

Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis—505,809

Diary of An Awesome Friendly Kid by Jeff Kinney—493,154

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis—490,019

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss—483,478

Educated by Tara Westover—454,989

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris—365,246

The Wonky Donkey by Craig Smith—272,182

Unfreedom of the Press by Mark R. Levin—267,751

Howard Stern Comes Again by Howard Stern—265,295

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero—250,048

The Mueller Report by the Washington Post—243,007

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss—237,239

StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath—235,821

It’s Not Supposed to To Be This Way by Lysa TerKeurst—232,932

The Meltdown by Jeff Kinney—231,149

The Woman In the Window by A. J. Finn—230,098

The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo—229,730

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainmen...

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 187 comments I finished Night Train to Lisbon. This was okay but I didn't think it was great. It was an interesting concept but it just felt lacking to me. It is almost like every other romance as it didn't really focus on the problems and how to fix them. They were just glossed over.

message 12: by Alias Reader (new)

---- Red at the Bone
by Jacqueline Woodson
“A rich, multigenerational weaving of two families, starting at Melody’s coming-of-age party. She wears the dress her mother didn’t get to wear because she was pregnant with Melody at the time. Alternating narration moves forward and backward in time, reflecting on family, desire, identity, and parenthood. For fans of Jesmyn Ward and Brit Bennett.”

Julie Graham, Yakima Valley Libraries, Yakima Valley, WA
NoveList Read-alike: Third Girl from the Left by Martha Southgate

-----Bringing Down the Duke
by Evie Dunmore
“Oxford student Annabelle is knee deep in the suffragette movement. The Duke is wary of supporting a cause not in the crown’s best interest, but can’t deny his attraction to Annabelle. A well-done version of the enemies-to-friends-to-lovers story. Perfect for fans of Juliana Gray and Amanda Quick.”

Amanda Brill, Rowan Public Library, Salisbury, NC
NoveList Read-alike: Sweet Disorder by Rose Lerner

---- Don't You Forget About Me
by Mhairi McFarlane
“Aspiring writer Georgina, broke and a mess, gets a job at a bar owned by Lucas, whose heart she broke in high school. This fresh, funny story has just the right amount of sexual tension, and well-developed, relatable characters. A must-read for rom-com fans of Jane Green and Mary Kay Andrews.”

Theresa Bond, Middlesex Public Library, Middlesex, NJ
NoveList Read-alike: One Day in December by Josie Silver

---- The Dutch House
by Ann Patchett
“For siblings Danny and Maeve, the Dutch house is much more than a structure. It is the bones of their family, a symbol connected to love, loss, achievement, and abandonment. They are connected to this house all their lives, even after being flung out of it. For fans of Anne Tyler and Anna Quindlen.”

Kelly Currie, Delphi Public Library, Delphi, IN
NoveList Read-alike: The Turner House by Angela Flournoy

----- The Long Call
by Ann Cleeves
“In this new series, the introspective detective Matthew Venn of Devon and his team search for an itinerant worker’s murderer. Connections emerge to Venn’s estranged parents’ religious community and his partner’s workplace. A solid, almost cozy British mystery for fans of Kate Atkinson and Elly Griffiths.”

Carol Melichar, Seminole County Public Library, Casselberry, FL
NoveList Read-alike: Reverend Clare Fergusson mysteries by Julia Spencer-Fleming

---- No Judgments
by Meg Cabot
“Bree moves to the Florida Keys after a devastating breakup. When a hurricane threatens to wipe out the town, she refuses to evacuate and scrambles to protect the pets her neighbors were forced to leave behind. I don’t know if Little Bridge Island is a real place or not but it officially has a place in my heart. For contemporary romance fans like The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren and The Hating Game by Sally Thorne.”

Amber Greenwood, Edgewood Public Library, Edgewood, MD
NoveList Read-alike: First Time in Forever by Sarah Morgan

---- The Secrets We Kept
by Lara Prescott
“Inspired by a true story of Dr. Zhivago. Pasternak had finished his controversial novel and needed to get it out of Russia to be published. A CIA agent posing as a typist is trained by another female operative and the two work to save the Cold War masterpiece. For readers who enjoyed The Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews and Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan.”

Mamie Ney, Auburn Public Library, Auburn, MA
NoveList Read-alike: The Zhivago Affair: The Kremlin, the CIA, and the Battle Over a Forbidden Book by Peter Finn and Petra Couvee

----- This Tender Land
by William Kent Krueger
“Odie and company escape a sadistic boarding school and travel through Depression-era America, meeting angels, devils -- and everyone in between -- along the way. It’s like Huck Finn and friends meet The Odyssey. For fans of Wiley Cash’s This Dark Road to Mercy and Louise Erdrich’s The Round House.

Lori Hench, Baltimore County Public Library, Baltimore, MD
NoveList Read-alike: 99 Nights in Logar by Jamil Jan Kochai

----- The Water Dancer
by Ta-Nehisi Coates

“A gorgeous novel blending historical fiction and magical realism to create a powerful portrait of the people who made up the Underground Railroad. For readers who enjoyed Beloved by Toni Morrison and She Would Be King by Wayetu Moore.”

Mara Bandy-Fass, Champaign Public Library, Champaign, IL
NoveList Read-alike: Kindred by Octavia Butler

----- Well Met
by Jen DeLuca
“Emily has been through a rough patch and needs a new start. Where better to start than a small town that puts on a Ren Faire every year. At first she thinks it’s silly, but a handsome pirate soon changes her mind. For fans of Red, White, & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.”

Michelle Herring, Naperville Public Library, Naperville, IL
NoveList Read-alike: Hard Day’s Knight by Katie MacAlister

message 13: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments Ashley wrote: "I finished Night Train to Lisbon. This was okay but I didn't think it was great. It was an interesting concept but it just felt lacking to me. It is almost like every other romance ..."

Sorry that one didn't work for you, Ashley. I hope your next read is better.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments The Wangs vs. the World The Wangs vs. the World by Jade Chang by Jade Chang

This humorous novel centers on Charles Wang, an immigrant who had tremendous luck and success in the United States.....until he didn't. As a result of his fall from grace, Charles and his family experience a different side of America. Good debut novel. 4 stars

message 15: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Alias, i thought of that Griffin book, too, when posting on the subject. The other book which reminded me of reading on the topic was Nella Larsen's Passing, about two women who "pass" and what happens when they reunite. It was written in the late 1920s, set in NYC.

On the list of bestsellers for this year, i'm not at all surprised by seeing Becoming by Michelle Obama there. Even people i know who do not read are giving it a go & liking it. Of course the one which does surprise me is the one we read together, Educated by Tara Westover. As long as there are students graduating, Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss will be on the list!

Ashley, it's a pity the book let you down. It sounded good, too. I hope the next one is a winner.

As usual, Alias, i like reading about books the librarians are suggesting. Thanks for posting them.

Barbara, this sounds like a good one. I'm surprised about the lack of translation, though. While at times i felt the translations were too plentiful in Crazy Rich Asians series, i was grateful to author Kevin Kwan for including them. Of course a road trip sounds fun!

message 17: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments It's a fine line for authors to tread when they jump around in time. It sounds as though Funder floundered. ;-)

message 18: by Barbara (last edited Sep 03, 2019 04:46PM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments If you're a fan of Dick Francis's suspense novels set in the world of British horseracing, you'd probably like this story by his son.

Dick Francis's Damage Dick Francis's Damage by Felix Francis by Felix Francis

British horseracing is threatened by extortionists who threaten to drug the horses unless they're paid off. Good suspense thriller. 3.5 stars

message 19: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 895 comments Alias Reader wrote: "madrano wrote: "Patty, interesting topic, "passing" and skin coloration, etc. For others interested, here is a direct link to the story, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20... (I..."

madrano wrote: "Patty, interesting topic, "passing" and skin coloration, etc. For others interested, here is a direct link to the story, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20... (I couldn't find i..."

The movie I was thinking of was “imitation of life” (or similar title), and I haven’t read Black Like Me, but skin colour has certainly been a divisive issue for a long time. Halle Berry identifies as black, although she was raised by her very white mother, as was Obama. Who should even care? Aren’t we weird?

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments I added some pictures to my review 😊

The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well The Little Book of Hygge The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking by Meik Wiking

Hygge is the Danish art of living well. The trick is to have comfortable surroundings, be around affable people, eat good food, etc. Plenty of tips in this book. 3 stars

message 21: by Barbara (last edited Sep 04, 2019 08:09AM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments PattyMacDotComma wrote: "Alias Reader wrote: "madrano wrote: "Patty, interesting topic, "passing" and skin coloration, etc. .."

So true Patty. Skin color has been a divisive issue forever. But people will always find something to criticize in 'others.' If it's not their skin color it's their accent, or food preferences, or religion, etc.

message 22: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Barbara, the horserace mysteries seem to have their own followers, don't they? I tried a Dick Francis mystery long ago but i am not interested enough in racing, i guess, to stay with it. (Could be due to the fact i had a family member addicted to horse gambling, i must add.) ANYway, i find it neat that his son has been able to successfully pick up the thread with a similar theme.

As for the Hygge, it sounds like the 70s reborn! Seriously, many of those activities were goals for my group of friends in the late 70s. For my money, living in cold country helped bring about the inclination to follow through on much of the pleasure listed. Once we moved to Oklahoma, it seemed more of an effort and often uncomfortable because it was not reliably cold enough to create gatherings. My own family of 4 could be impromptu about things & were.

As it happens, when i read some of the things listed as "hygge" i realized that as we travel, we make time to do some of them. Occasionally we'll try to figure out why we don't make efforts at home. No real answers, i must say.

(I wanted to add a sort of hygge activity. When we held our family gatherings, the women "escaped" for cold snow walks with a bottle of peppermint schnaps. For 30 or so minutes we were in a sort of nirvana which is akin to hygge, imo.)

Patty, oh yes, i'd forgotten Imitation of Life by Fannie Hurst (wow, interesting Goodreads comment about the book & Zora Neale Hurston!). I think Pinky stuck because i saw it first.

I agree with Barbara & others, people tend to always find something for criticism in others. Perhaps we need to work, simultaneously, on that tendency of ours, too. As Patty wrote, "Aren't we weird?"

message 23: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments Barbara wrote: "I added some pictures to my review 😊

The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well The Little Book of Hygge The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking by [author:Mei..."

Your review contained some lovely ideas that I could certainly get on board with.

message 24: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 04, 2019 03:28PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments madrano wrote: I agree with Barbara & others, people tend to always find something for criticism in others. Perhaps we need to work, simultaneously, on that tendency of ours, too. As Patty wrote, "Aren't we weird?"."

The comments about our tendency to be critical of others reminded me of this Carl Jung quote

message 25: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Alias, that is an excellent point to keep in mind. Often, when i find myself thinking negative thoughts about another person, i realize i could well be accused of doing the same things. Perhaps this is why we are so critical sometimes?

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments madrano wrote: "(I wanted to add a sort of hygge activity. When we held our family gatherings, the women "escaped" for cold snow walks with a bottle of peppermint schnaps. For 30 or so minutes we were in a sort of nirvana which is akin to hygge, imo.)."

This is a great activity!! 😊❤🌸

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments A Second Death A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5) by Graham Brack by Graham Brack

In this 5th book in the 'Josef Slonský' international thriller series, the detective investigates the death of a young girl. The book can be read as a standalone.

This is a serious mystery with a lot of humor. Good book. 3.5 stars

My review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments This looks like a nice series, Barbara. That the series is also humorous would be neat, too. Sometimes European mysteries/thrillers have been too heavy and i end up feeling drained.

message 29: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments History and Current Events

----- The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the 13 Turpin Siblings and...
by John Glatt

What it is: the disturbing story of seemingly picture-perfect couple David and Louise Turpin, who for years brutalized and imprisoned their 13 children in their suburban California home.

What happened: In January 2018, the Turpins' 17-year-old daughter Jordan made a daring escape to successfully alert the authorities.

Is it for you? True crime fans will appreciate this timely account of a gruesome case that's still making headlines -- in April 2019, David and Louise received life sentences for their crimes.

----- On the Clock: What Low-Wage Work Did to Me and How It Drives America Insane
by Emily Guendelsberger

What it's about: journalist Emily Guendelsberger's experiences working in the service industry after losing her job at a Philadelphia newspaper.

What she did: Guendelsberger held jobs as a "picker" at an Amazon fulfillment center in Louisville, an AT&T call center representative in North Carolina, and a cashier at a San Francisco McDonald's.

Why you might like it: Reminiscent of Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed, this eye-opening account offers ample context for the grueling (and often inhumane) working conditions of today's low-wage jobs.

---- The Vagabonds: The Story of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison's Ten-Year Road Trip
by Jeff Guinn

What it's about: Every year between 1914 and 1924, inventor pals and "autocamping" enthusiasts Henry Ford and Thomas Edison embarked on a cross-country summertime jaunt through America.

Why it matters: The pair's highly-publicized adventures contributed to the car industry boom, spurred the improvement of roadways, and inspired the concept of the road trip.

Read it for: a quirky blend of history, biography, and travelogue.

---- The Liberation of Paris: How Eisenhower, de Gaulle, and von Choltitz Saved the City of Light
by Jean Edward Smith

What it is: a dramatic account of the August 1944 liberation of Paris, which left the city miraculously unscathed.

What sets it apart: the lesser-known story of Dietrich von Choltitz, the German general who defied Hitler's orders to destroy the city.

Don't miss: a moving new perspective on the relationship between Generals Dwight Eisenhower and Charles de Gaulle.
Bookish Histories

----- The Book: A Cover-to-Cover Exploration of the Most Powerful Object of Our Time
by Keith Houston

What it is: a witty deep dive into the evolution of the book that explores how technological advancements, entrepreneurial trial and error, and shifting artistic and cultural conventions resulted in the bound tomes today's readers know and love.

What's inside: chapters surveying the history of elements that make up a book, including paper, ink, type, illustration, and binding.

Chapters include: "Etching a Sketch: Copperplate Printing and the Renaissance;" "Size Matters: The Invention of the Modern Book."

-----When Books Went to War: The Stories That Helped Us Win World War II
by Molly Guptill Manning

What it's about: how the War Department, publishing industry, and librarians collaborated to distribute 120 million pocket-sized Armed Services Edition paperbacks to American soldiers during WWII.

Featuring: intrepid librarian Althea Warren, the American Library Association's first director of the National Defense Book Campaign.

Why it matters: the morale-boosting Armed Services Editions were many soldiers' introduction to literature, inspiring them to correspond with authors or seek higher education after their service.

----- Printer's Error: Irreverent Stories from Book History
by J. P. Romney and Rebecca Romney

What it is: a collection of humorous (and occasionally strange) anecdotes about famous books, authors, and printers throughout history.

Read it for: a lively narrative and lighthearted tone.

Did you know? Since Johannes Gutenberg did not keep records of his life, it took nearly 300 years for scholars to prove that he invented the printing press.

----- Part of Our Lives: A People's History of the American Public Library
by Wayne A. Wiegand

What it is: a compelling history of public libraries that centers on the experiences of patrons rather than staff.

What sets it apart: Though this is a mostly celebratory account, author Wayne A. Wiegand also notes the ways that libraries have denied access to their patrons, whether by censoring materials or prohibiting members of marginalized communities from obtaining library cards.

Reviewers say: "eminently readable...a must-have" (Booklist).

----- The Catalogue of Shipwrecked Books: Christopher Columbus, His Son, and...
by Edward Wilson-Lee

Starring: Hernando Colón, thrill-seeking bibliophile and illegitimate son of Christopher Columbus.

What it's about: how Colón endeavored to build a library collecting every book in the world, which he meticulously cataloged in a system of his own making that is now considered the first "search engine."

Try this next: for another engaging account of Renaissance-era bibliophilia, check out Stephen Greenblatt's Pulitzer Prize-winning The Swerve, about Poggio Bracciolini's 1417 discovery of a lost Roman text.

message 30: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 895 comments Such a classic Agatha Christie mystery! M. Hercule Poirot solves the impossible crime again in Murder on the Orient Express. You should exercise your own little brain cells with this one if you haven’t already. :)
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie 4★ Link to my Orient Express review

message 31: by Barbara (last edited Sep 06, 2019 06:18AM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments madrano wrote: "This looks like a nice series, Barbara. That the series is also humorous would be neat, too. Sometimes European mysteries/thrillers have been too heavy and i end up feeling drained."

This is definitely on the light side Madrano. The Czech Republic setting is good too, and I was happy to see the issue of hiring women (detectives in this case) seems to be a thing there too. 😊💖🌸

message 32: by Petra (new)

Petra | 980 comments PattyMacDotComma wrote: "Such a classic Agatha Christie mystery! M. Hercule Poirot solves the impossible crime again in Murder on the Orient Express. You should exercise your own little brain ..."

Nice review, Patty! I enjoy Hercule Poirot and haven't read this one yet. Thanks for reminding me of him again. So many books that I want to read that some get lost in the shuffle.

message 33: by Petra (new)

Petra | 980 comments Barbara wrote: "A Second Death A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5) by Graham Brack by Graham Brack

In this 5th book in the 'Josef Slonský' international thriller series, the detective investigate..."

I do like a mystery story with humor. Have you read the first 4 books, Barbara? Do you recommend the series?

message 34: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments September 6, 2019 – NATIONAL READ A BOOK DAY

message 35: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments Alias, thank you for all the titles about books. What could be better for this group? The Book: A Cover-to-Cover Exploration of the Most Powerful Object of Our Time calls to me. It never occurred to me to wonder about most of the things mentioned in the post. Isn't that the way? Author Keith Houston has his work cut out for him.

Patty, my husband read Orient Express last year & i had fun as he reminded me of bits. Then we watched a couple of the movie versions, neither of which matched Christies's efforts, of course. Reading reviews of oldies can be like a walk in one's Reading Past.

Time to get off the computer & read a book TODAY! Happy Read a Book Day, m'friends!

message 36: by Petra (new)

Petra | 980 comments Alias, today I will read a book. LOL!

Alias, I also appreciate these lists of books. I probably don't say that often enough.
On this list, I've added The Book, The Family Next Door, The Catalogue Of Shipwrecked Books and When Books Went To War to my library "for later" shelf.

message 37: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments Glad you are enjoying the book lists. :)

message 38: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 06, 2019 01:31PM) (new)

---- Her Other Secret
by HelenKay Dimon

Welcome to: Whitaker Island, a private island off the coast of Washington state and an ideal destination for those wanting to leave their pasts behind.

Where... recent arrival Tessa Jenkins and handyman Hansen Rye have just witnessed a man emerge from the ocean and vanish into the nearby woods. When the man turns up dead, Hansen becomes the prime suspect.

For fans of: Christina Dodd's Virtue Falls, another compelling romantic suspense series set in a small town in the Pacific Northwest where everyone has a secret.

----- Say No to the Duke
by Eloisa James

The wager: Straitlaced Lady Boadicea "Betsy" Wilde challenges notorious rake Lord Jeremy Roden to a game of billiards.

The terms: If Betsy wins, Jeremy promises to take her on a tour of London. If Jeremy wins, she's his for one night.

All bets are off... in this 4th lively installment of the Wildes of Lindow Castle series, which boasts well-matched leads, witty banter, and a steamy opposites-attract premise.

---- Project Duchess
by Sabrina Jeffries

What it's about: Fletcher "Grey" Pryde, Duke of Greycourt, has promised to help prepare the Honourable Beatrice Wolfe for her debut, despite suspecting that her brother murdered his stepfather.

Series alert: Project Duchess kicks off the Duke Dynasty series, about a trio of half-brothers, all heirs to dukedoms.

You might also like: Eloisa James' Desperate Duchesses series, another Georgian romance series with a large supporting cast of friends and family members that help the leads find their happily-ever-afters.

----- The Right Swipe
by Alisha Rai

Starring: Rhiannon "Rhi" Hunter, creator of the popular Crush dating app, and former pro-football player Samson Lima, spokesman for rival dating site Matchmaker -- and the jerk who once ghosted Rhi.

What sets it apart: Nuanced explorations of sensitive issues (CTE's effects on Samson's football-playing relatives, Rhi's experiences as a woman of color in majority white male tech spaces).

Is it for you? Though less angsty than the author's Forbidden Hearts series, Rhi does have some upsetting run-ins with her abusive ex.

---- The Me I Used to Be
by Jennifer Ryan

What it's about: Sent to prison for a crime she didn't commit, Evangeline Austen, now out on parole, returns to her hometown to clear her name. But finding the real culprit will require her to work with local cop Chris Chambers, her arresting officer.

Why you might like it: This stand-alone novel stars a sympathetic heroine who finds unexpected love while working to rebuild her life.

Reviewers say: an "intoxicating blend of hair-raising suspense, betrayal, and true love" (Publishers Weekly).
Opposites Attract

----- Breathless
by Celeste Bradley and Susan Donovan

In the past: Shipwrecked "Swan" is rescued by The Artist, who makes her his model and muse.

In the present: Harvard professor Brenna Anderson teams up with her nemesis, art dealer Fitch Wilder, to identify the subject of a series of erotic 19th-century paintings.

Why you might like it: This second collaboration by the authors of Unbound features parallel love stories and an art-themed treasure hunt that spans centuries and continents.

----- Wicked and the Wallflower
by Sarah MacLean

Introducing: Felicity Faircloth, who impulsively announces her engagement to the reclusive Duke of Marwick, whom she's never met; and "Devil," the Covent Garden crime lord who offers to help her woo and win the duke -- for a price.

Crossover alert: Felicity first appeared in The Day of the Duchess, one of four young ladies competing for the hand of another duke.

Series alert: Wicked and the Wallflower kicks off the Bareknuckle Bastards series; book 2, Brazen and the Beast, is now available.

----- The Start of Something Good
by Jennifer Probst

Introducing: PR genius (and committed urbanite) Mia Thrush and former Special Forces paratrooper Ethan Bishop.

What happens: Exiled to the wilderness (ok, the Hudson Valley) to oversee her client's daughter's court-ordered community service, Mia encounters hot, brooding Ethan, who's currently helping out at his family's bed-and-breakfast.

Why you might like it: This opening installment of the Stay series pairs a city girl and a country boy whose worlds collide in sizzling fashion.

----- Playing for Keeps
by Jill Shalvis

What happens: Following their joint rescue of three-legged dog Lollipop, tattoo artist Sadie Lane and buttoned-up businessman Caleb Parker decide to co-parent the pup...and fall in love in the process.

Why you might like it: This heartwarming 7th Heartbreaker Bay novel returns to the close-knit community of San Francisco's Cow Hollow neighborhood for this upbeat story starring a pair of likable leads.

For fans of: Debbie Burns' Rescue Me series, Casey Griffin's Rescue Dog romances, and Rachel Lacey's Love to the Rescue novels.

---- Pretending He's Mine
by Mia Sosa

The situation: Hollywood agent Julian Hart offers Ashley Stone, the younger sister of his best friend and client, a room in his home when she finds herself in need of a place to stay.

The problem: Ashley's had a crush on Julian for years, while workaholic Julian struggles to put business before pleasure when confronted with Ashley's charms.

Series alert: Pretending He's Mine is the 2nd Love on Cue novel, after Acting on Impulse (starring Ashley's brother, Carter).

message 39: by Alias Reader (new)

----- The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
by Alexis Hall

What it is: a witty Sherlock Holmes adaptation with a speculative twist and a LGBTQIA diverse cast.

Starring: Captain John Wyndham and his new roommate, consulting sorceress Ms. Shaharazad Haas; their first case involves Hass' former lover, Lady Eirene Viola, who's being blackmailed.

For fans of: Claire O'Dell's Janet Watson novels or G.S. Denning's Warlock Holmes series.

----- The Outside
by Ada Hoffman

Starring: Dr. Yasira Shien, branded a heretic by the Gods after the reactor she invented warps reality and destroys a space station.

Why you might like it: This debut, which blends space opera and cosmic horror, introduces a heroine with autism and takes place in a universe ruled by superintelligent AI and their post-human angels.

For fans of: Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire series, beginning with Ninefox Gambit.

----- This is How You Lose the Time War
by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone

What happens: Two time traveling operatives from competing futures fall in love, expressing their longing through letters composed in lava flows, glasses of water, tree rings, and more.

Why you might like it: Fritz Leiber's The Big Time meets Ian McDonald's Time Was in this lyrical epistolary love story.

About the authors: Lebanese-Canadian author Amal El-Mohtar is the author of The Honey Month; Campbell Award nominee Max Gladstone is best known for his popular Craft novels.

---- The Record Keeper
by Agnes Gomillion

Introducing: Arika Cobane, the valedictorian of her graduating class, who has spent a decade training to become a Record Keeper.

But then... the arrival of a new student with dangerous ideas causes Arika to question her complicity in perpetuating the injustices of her racially segregated, rigidly hierarchical post-apocalyptic society.

For fans of: Rivers Solomon's An Unkindness of Ghosts, another lyrical Afrofuturist work that examines systemic racism through a speculative lens.

----- The Lesson
by Cadwell Turnbull

What happens: The alien Ynaa occupy St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, causing tension between the newcomers and the locals.

Why you might like it: This thought-provoking debut is at once an allegory for colonialism and a moving, character-driven first contact story.

For fans of: Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End and Tade Thompson's Rosewater.

---- The Rage of Dragons
by Evan Winter

Starring: Tau Tafari, a reluctant warrior-in-training who fights his way to the top of a socially stratified society to exact revenge on his enemies.

Why you might like it: This debut, 1st in a series, boasts a sympathetic protagonist and a vividly depicted, African-inspired setting.

For fans of: the inventive system of magic in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn novels, the gritty battles of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, and the world-building of Pierce Brown's Red Rising trilogy.

***** Humorous SFF ******

---- Kill the Farm Boy
by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne

What it is: a quirky comedic fantasy adventure that riffs on classic genre tropes.

Featuring: a farm boy (briefly), a talking goat, a seven-foot-tall warrior in a chainmail bikini, an enchanted rabbit bard, an alektorophobic assassin, a sand witch, and a dark lord.

For fans of: William Goldman's The Princess Bride, Diana Wynne Jones' Dark Lord of Derkholm, or Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

----- The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
by A. Lee Martinez

Introducing: 28-year-old Constance Verity, who has spent most of her life saving the world.

The goal: To achieve the normal existence she craves, Constance must track down the fairy godmother who blessed (or is that cursed?) her with an adventurous life.

Want a taste? "Trouble wasn't content to follow Constance Verity. Trouble was more proactive when it came to Connie."

----- A Blink of the Screen: Collected Shorter Fiction
by Terry Pratchett

What it is: a short story collection by the late (and much-missed) Terry Pratchett.

Contains: several Discworld stories, as well as an assortment of other pieces, all with commentary from the author.

Don't miss: "The Hades Business," written when Pratchett was just 13 (it got published); "The Ankh-Morpork National Anthem."

---- Space Opera
by Catherynne M. Valente

What it's about: “Glamrock messiah” Danesh Jalo is fighting for mankind’s continued existence -- by taking center stage in an intergalactic talent show bursting with glitter, lipstick, and rock and roll.

Reviewers say: An “endearing, razzle-dazzle love song about destiny, finding one’s true voice, and rockin’ the house down” (Publishers Weekly).

Is it for you? If you like The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, David Bowie, or the Eurovision Song Contest, you'll like this humorous science fiction extravaganza.

message 40: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 06, 2019 01:41PM) (new)

----- Someone to honor
by Mary Balogh

Abigail Westcott must contend with the infuriating charms of Gilbert Bennington, the officer who has escorted her wounded brother, Harry, home from the Napoleonic wars.

-----The important thing about Margaret Wise Brown
by Mac Barnett

A picture-book biography of the legendary author of Goodnight Moon, Runaway Bunny and other children's classics shares insights into her life and enduring literary influence.

----- Competence
by Gail Carriger

Prim and the crew of the Custard embark on a mission to Peru, where they navigate airship pirates and are forced into extreme subterfuge to investigate rumors about a new kind of vampire.

-----The long way to a small, angry planet
by Becky Chambers

Joining the crew of the aging Wayfarer, a patched-up ship that has seen better days, loner Rosemary Harper must unexpectedly risk her life when they are offered the job of a lifetime, which teaches her valuable lessons about love and trust, and that having a family isn't the worst thing in the universe.

----- Careful what you wish for
by Hallie Ephron

A professional organizer whose husband is a hoarder distracts herself from her growing relationship troubles by focusing on her new clients, one of which takes her tipsy fantasy about life being more pleasant without spouses a little too far.

------ Montauk
by Nicola Harrison

Distancing herself from her unfaithful spouse and her fellow society wives at seaside Montauk Manor, Bea is drawn by the village's natural beauty and community spirit before falling for a man who is nothing like her husband.

----- NOS4A2 : a novel
by Joe Hill

When Charles Talent Manx, an unstoppable monster who transforms children into his own terrifying likeness, kidnaps her son, Victoria McQueen, the only person to ever escape his unmitigated evil, must engage in a life-and-death battle of wills to get her son back.

--- Radio Free Vermont : a fable of resistance
by Bill McKibben

Broadcasting from a secret location with the help of a young computer prodigy, a septuagenarian radical and fugitive from the law leads an eccentric group of activists who carry out their own version of guerilla warfare when they decide that their home state might be better off seceding from the United States.

----- Red, white & royal blue
by Casey McQuiston

After an international incident affects U.S. and British relations, the president's son Alex and Prince Henry must pretend to be best friends, but as they spend time together, the two begin a secret romance that could derail a presidential campaign.

----- Death in the English Countryside
by Sara Rosett

Location scout and Jane Austen aficionado, Kate Sharp, is thrilled when the company she works for lands the job of finding locations for a new film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, but then her boss, Kevin, fails to return from a scouting trip to England. Afraid that Kevin has slipped back into some destructive personal habits he struggles with, Kate travels to England to salvage Kevin's and the company's reputation before word gets out that he is missing.

----- Racing in the rain : my life as a dog
by Garth Stein

In an adaptation of the adult novel, The Art of Racing in the Rain, mutt Enzo tells the story of his friendship with up-and-coming race car driver Denny and Denny's daughter Zo, as he takes on his family's challenges and emerges a hero.

----- The golden hour : a novel
by Beatriz Williams

Traveling to World War II Nassau to interview the infamous Duke and Duchess of Windsor, an investigator for a New York society magazine uncovers a treasonous plot that is complicated by her romance with an unscrupulous scientist.

----- Pride
by Ibi Aanu Zoboi

A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice traces the experiences of a proud Brooklyn woman from a large, underprivileged family of sisters who clashes with a wealthy, arrogant newcomer.
Book Group Selections

----- The handmaid's tale
by Margaret Atwood

A chilling look at the near future presents the story of Offred, a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, once the United States, an oppressive world where women are no longer allowed to read and are valued only as long as they are viable for reproduction.

----Mayflower : a story of courage, community, and war
by Nathaniel Philbrick

A history of the Pilgrim settlement of New England challenges popular misconceptions, discussing such topics as the diseases of European origin suffered by the Wampanoag tribe, the fragile working relationship between the Pilgrims and their Native American neighbors, and the devastating impact of the King Philip's War.

----- Sleeping giants
by Sylvain Neuvel

Years after waking up dozens of feet below the ground on the palm of what seems to be a mysterious giant metal hand, a top-level physicist leads a team of people to discover the nature of the hand, where it came from and what it portends for humanity.

message 41: by Alias Reader (last edited Sep 06, 2019 01:46PM) (new)

---- The Ice at the End of the World: An Epic Journey into Greenland's Buried Past and...
by Jon Gertner

What it's about: Greenland, birthplace of glaciology and harbinger of climate change.

Why you might like it: This eye-opening book pairs vividly detailed accounts of early scientific expeditions with present-day assessments of Greenland's rapidly melting ice sheet.

You might also like: William E. Glassley's A Wilder Time, which similarly reveals Greenland's deep past while speculating about its future in a rapidly warming world.

----- Symphony in C: Carbon and the Evolution of (Almost) Everything
by Robert M. Hazen

What it is: a sweeping history of carbon, the basic yet multifaceted chemical element that's essential to life as we know it.

What sets it apart: Structured like a symphony, this book unfolds in four parts inspired by the classic elements of earth, air, fire, and water.

About the author: Geologist (and semi-professional musician) Robert M. Hazen is a founder of the Deep Carbon Observatory, an international, interdisciplinary group of scientists dedicated to carbon research.

----- Slime: How Algae Created Us, Plague Us, and Just Might Save Us
by Ruth Kassinger

What it's about: the 3.7 billion-year history of algae, "Earth's authentic alchemists": powered by sunlight and water, these organisms play a vital role in turning carbon dioxide into organic matter.

Why you might like it: Science writer Ruth Kassinger travels the world to learn about algae's culinary uses, its role in everyday consumer products, and its potential as a renewable fuel.

Don't miss: a selection of tasty, easy-to-prepare seaweed recipes.

----- Underland: A Deep Time Journey
by Robert Macfarlane

What it is: a lyrical and wide-ranging exploration of the world beneath our feet from tunnels and caves to catacombs and burial chambers to underground vaults and bunkers.

Why you might like it: Nature writer Robert Macfarlane embarks on a journey both literal and metaphorical, connecting real-world observations to representations of the underworld in mythology, art, and literature.

Want a taste? "Into the underland we have long placed that which we fear and wish to lose, and that which we love and wish to save."

------ The Code: Silicon Valley and the Remaking of America
by Margaret O'Mara

What it is: an "accessible yet sophisticated chronicle" (New York Times) of Silicon Valley that spans seven decades and includes the U.S. military-industrial complex, Stanford University, the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965, and a sprawling cast of interesting characters.

Did you know? The name "Silicon Valley" was coined in 1971 by Electronic News writer Don Hoefler.

Try this next: Leslie Berlin's Troublemakers, another well-researched nonfiction account of the region's transformation into a tech hub.

******* To The Moon *******

---- Neil Armstrong: A Life of Flight
by Jay Barbree

What it is: an engaging biography of astronaut Neil Armstrong, who, on July 20, 1969, made history as the first person to walk on the moon.

About the author: During his 50-year career as a journalist, veteran NBC space correspondent Jay Barbree reported on every single crewed launch of the U.S. space program.

You might also like: James R. Hansen's First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong, which delves into the personal life of a very private individual.

------ Shoot for the Moon: The Space Race and the Extraordinary Voyage of Apollo 11
by James Donovan

What it is: a comprehensive history of the space race, beginning with the 1957 launch of Sputnik and culminating in the Apollo 11 Moon landing.

Reviewers say: "[Author James] Donovan knows how to tell a gripping story" (NPR).

Further reading: Chasing the Moon by Robert Stone and Alan Andres, American Moonshot by Douglas Brinkley, and Apollo's Legacy by Roger D. Launius.

------ Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, From Missiles to the Moon...
by Nathalia Holt

Introducing: Barby Canright, Macie Roberts, Helen Yee Chow, Barbara Lewis, Janez Lawson, Susan Finley, and others.

Why they matter: This talented group of women calculated rocket trajectories, designed satellites, and analyzed massive amounts of experimental data for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

For fans of: Margot Lee Shetterly's Hidden Figures, another collective biography of the unsung heroines of the U.S. space program.

------ Apollo 8: The Thrilling Story of the First Mission to the Moon
by Jeffrey Kluger

What it is: an exciting account of the Apollo 8 mission that blends technical details of the mission with profiles of its participants.

Why you might like it: Science writer Jeffrey Kluger draws on interviews with crew members Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders, as well as materials from the NASA Oral History Project, to recreate the mission.

You might also like: Robert Poole's Earthrise, which examines the creation of the iconic photograph of Earth as seen from space.

----- Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First...
by Robert Kurson

Introducing: Apollo 8 astronauts Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders, who carried out one of NASA's most challenging missions.

What they did: Given 50-50 odds of returning safely, the trio risked their lives to complete the first crewed lunar orbit in December 1968.

Why you might like it: Rocket Men contrasts the lofty achievements of the astronauts with historical events of a turbulent period in U.S. history.

message 42: by Alias Reader (new)

----- Places and Names: Reflections on War, Revolution, and Returning
by Elliot Ackerman

What it is: a reflective memoir in essays detailing former marine Elliot Ackerman's five tours of duty in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Don't miss: Ackerman's unlikely friendship with a former jihadi.

About the author: A National Book Award finalist for the novel Dark at the Crossing, Ackerman has also earned a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart for his military service.

---- Formation: A Woman's Memoir of Stepping Out of Line
by Ryan Leigh Dostie

What it is: a sobering account of army linguist Ryan Leigh Dostie's rape by a fellow soldier, and the isolation and PTSD she endured after her superior officers mishandled the case.

Why it matters: With more than 25% of women in the military reporting sexual assault (and with numbers on the rise), Dostie's resonant memoir illuminates the systemic bias and injustice women continue to face in the male-dominated military.

---- Definitely Hispanic: Growing Up Latino and Celebrating What Unites Us
by LeJuan James

What it's about: YouTuber LeJuan James' upbringing in Puerto Rico and the United States, and the culture clashes he navigated as the U.S.-born son of Puerto Rican and Dominican parents.

Read it for: an introspective guide to embracing one's identity.

Is it for you? James' broad sense of humor may not be for everyone, though fans of his videos will appreciate his candid musings.

---- Grinnell: America's Environmental Pioneer and His Restless Drive to Save the West
by John Taliaferro

What it is: an absorbing biography of conservationist George Bird Grinnell (1849-1938).

Notable accomplishments: Grinnell formed the Audubon Society, spearheaded efforts to establish national parks, lobbied for Native American rights, and saved Yosemite and Yellowstone from developers.

Why you might like it: John Taliaferro draws on Grinnell's correspondence and diaries to present an engaging portrait of an advocate who fought tirelessly to preserve America's natural beauty.

---- More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)
by Elaine Welteroth; foreword by Ava DuVernay

What it's about: Former Teen Vogue editor-in-chief Elaine Welteroth's breakthrough in the predominantly white worlds of fashion and media, and the setbacks she endured on her path to success.

Did you know? Welteroth is the youngest person and the 2nd African American to be named editor-in-chief in magazine publisher Condé Nast's 110-year history.

Reviewers say: "The millennial Becoming...inspiring and empowering" (Entertainment Weekly).
Memoirs in Essays

---- How to Write An Autobiographical Novel: Essays
by Alexander Chee

What it's about: how novelist Alexander Chee's identities as a gay man, a Korean American, and an activist inform his life and writing career.

What sets it apart: Boasting numerous awards and accolades, Chee's unconventional yet immersive narrative is as wide-ranging as it is intimate.

For fans of: reflective writing memoirs like Where the Past Begins by Amy Tan and The Writing Life by Annie Dillard (a mentor of Chee's).

---- Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir in Pieces
by Dawn Davies

What it is: a humorous, moving, and non-linear glimpse into essayist Dawn Davies' life that touches on topics like her troubled childhood, parenting three children, postpartum depression, and divorce.

Don't miss: the title essay, which explores Davies' complicated feelings about parenting a son with autism.

Reviewers say: "Readers will laugh and cry, probably at the same time" (Booklist).

---- Essays After Eighty
by Donald Hall

What it is: a witty and reflective collection from America's 14th Poet Laureate and National Medal of Arts recipient Donald Hall.

Essays include: "Garlic with Everything," a passionate ode to Hall's favorite food; "Rejection and Resurrection," which tackles professional ambition and legacy.

Further reading: Hall's posthumous follow-up, Carnival of Losses: Notes Nearing Ninety, was published only two weeks after his death.

---- Maeve in America: Essays by a Girl from Somewhere Else
by Maeve Higgins

Starring: Maeve Higgins, an Irish comedian and podcaster living in New York.

What it is: a collection of funny yet thoughtful essays about Higgins' time in the United States that discusses everything from the Irish immigrant experience in America to renting expensive clothing for formal affairs.

Don't miss: "Pen as Gun," describing a comedy workshop in Iraq.

---- A Field Guide to Awkward Silences
by Alexandra Petri

What it's about: 20-something Washington Post columnist Alexandra Petri's comic misadventures in young adulthood, including a disastrous speed-dating event at a Star Wars convention and a failed audition for America's Next Top Model.

Why you might like it: Petri's breezy witticisms will make you feel like you're chatting with your best friend.

Want a taste? "I could hold a tune, but only the way you hold a stranger's cat: not closely and not long."

message 43: by madrano (new)

madrano | 9742 comments What an ocean of tempting titles, Alias! The romances sounded unusual in many ways, the scifi fun & farcical. The title which absolutely made it to my TBR is Underland: A Deep Time Journey because i've noticed in the last week a number of items i've read or seen mention underground tunnels and/or caves, so i'm hoping Robert Macfarlane addresses some of those. It's interesting to realize how many myths and stories feature the underground, too.

Obviously President #45 read The Ice at the End of the World: An Epic Journey Into Greenland's Buried Past and Our Perilous Future by Jon Gertner just prior to proposing the US buy it! Who knew? Seriously, this sounds as though it would be a great way to "discover" Greenland.

message 44: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments madrano wroteObviously President #45 read The Ice at the End of the World: An Epic Journey Into Greenland's Buried Past and Our Perilous Future by Jon Gertner just prior to proposing the US buy it! Who knew? ..."

He clearly is the greatest...the absolute best...undeniable terrific. outstanding reader. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the titles.

message 45: by madrano (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:53AM) (new)

madrano | 9742 comments ;-)

You probably don't want to buy any of his used books--the Sharpie note taking is too distracting.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments Petra wrote: "Barbara wrote: "A Second Death A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5) by Graham Brack by Graham Brack

In this 5th book in the 'Josef Slonský' international thriller series, the detec..."

I haven't read the first four books Petra but other people have praised them. I would recommend the series for readers who like humor in their mysteries. 😊

message 47: by John (new)

John | 976 comments Ashley wrote: "I finished Night Train to Lisbon. This was okay but I didn't think it was great. It was an interesting concept but it just felt lacking to me. It is almost like every other romance ..."

NOW I get why I was confused at not remembering this title as a romance at all! I read Night Train to Lisbon.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 2683 comments Hope Never Dies Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1) by Andrew Shaffer by Andrew Shaffer

In this mystery, Joe Biden and Barack Obama team up to investigate the death of an Amtrak conductor. This isn't a spoof, but a straightforward 'amateur sleuth' suspense novel. Funny and quirky. 3.5 stars

message 49: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17152 comments Barbara wrote: "Hope Never Dies Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1) by Andrew Shaffer by Andrew Shaffer

In this mystery, Joe Biden and Barack Obama team up to investigate the death of an Amtrak co..."

:)

message 50: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 895 comments Petra wrote: "Barbara wrote: "A Second Death A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5) by Graham Brack by Graham Brack

In this 5th book in the 'Josef Slonský' international thriller series, the detec..."

I've read them all, Petra, and enjoyed each. There is a continuing element to the stories as the characters' relationships and work circumstances change. The humour is affectionate, and spontaneous. I love them!

Here's a link that I hope takes you to a list where you can click on "View" on the far right to see each review, if you're interested.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

« previous 1 3 4