Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2020] Suggestions for 12th Mini Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (last edited Aug 31, 2019 12:04PM) (new)

Katie | 2369 comments It's time for another round, everyone!

The list of topics, sorted by type, may be found in message 2 of the Introduction & Announcement post:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

A little reminder of how things are done around here:

How it works:
- The topics for the 2020 reading challenge list will be determined by a series of mini-polls, the number of which depends on the number of prompts winning in each mini-polls
- Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received and “seconded” (this number can change, which will be announced in each suggestion topic)
- We'll wait for one day between the end of the suggestions and the start of the poll to allow for research and discussions
- The poll will be opened for voting for one week
- Each user has 8 votes to spread between their favorite (top) and least favorite (bottom) prompts
- The prompts with the more "positive" votes (top - bottom) will be added to the final list (between 2 and 5 depending on how the votes are spread)

Rules:
- Each member can only suggest OR second one prompt
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded prompts
- If the categories are not balanced enough at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- Multi-week prompts may be suggested
- For now, we won't limit polls to new suggestion only, but that can be considered in the future
- For now, members who have suggested or seconded a prompt don't need to wait for 24 hours before doing so again in the next poll. That may change in the future if members express a need for this rule to be reinstated
A book with half a face on the cover
As always, please express any and all feedback (respectfully, of course), either here or in The Wild Discussion

Poll Entries:
A book from a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name (first, middle or last)
A history or historical fiction book set in your favorite historical period
A book with a musical instrument in the title or on the cover
A book tagged with a two-word genre
A classic book (fiction or nonfiction) you've always meant to read
A book about revenge
A book from a genre you did not read in 2019
A book with sad, depressing or dark elements
A book related to Earth Day
A book with only 2s and 0s in the page count
A book published in 2020
A book with at least a 4.4 average rating on Goodreads
A book related to a subject taught in schools (e.g. Maths, Science, History, Geography, Politics, Art)
A book rated 5 stars by someone in the AtY group
A book listed in the "See similar books..." link on the Goodreads page for a book you've previously enjoyed

Available to be Seconded:

message 2: by Julie (JuJu) (new)

Julie (JuJu) (jlb27) | 26 comments A book with only 2’s and 0’s in the page # (i.e., 202, 222, 200, etc.)

message 3: by °~Amy~° (last edited Aug 30, 2019 07:26PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Read a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name

For Instance, just using my first two names, I could choose from these:
A - adventure
M - mystery
Y - young adult

L - literary fiction
Y - Yuri
N - non-fiction
N - nanopunk

List of Writing Genres

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments Amy, I like that!

message 5: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6921 comments Mod
Amy, the link that you attached isn't working for me.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1630 comments Amy, I cannot get your link to work.

message 7: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments I second reading a genre that starts with a letter in your name. Fun suggestion!

message 8: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Liz wrote: "Amy, I like that!"

Thank you! I like that it's a genre prompt, but we wouldn't be stuck to just one genre that we may not really like. It's also restrictive enough so it's not a freebie. :)

message 9: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Jillian wrote: "Amy, I cannot get your link to work."

It should be good now! Sorry about that, I got excited and only copied half an url lol

message 10: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments As there are no genre prompts yet, I will suggest:

A history or historical fiction book set in your favorite historical period

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

E- Essays
M - Mystery
I - ....
L - Literary Fiction
Y - Young Adult

This gives me some good options! (And it's so much closer aligned with my reading tastes than most of the genres that have been suggested lol)

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I’ll second the historical fiction, as I was planning on submitting one similar!

message 13: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Emily wrote: "E- Essays
M - Mystery
I - ....
L - Literary Fiction
Y - Young Adult

This gives me some good options! (And it's so much closer aligned with my reading tastes than most of the genres that have been ..."

Oh Emily, don't forget Islamic non-fiction OR Imaginary Journey (Adventure)

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 64 comments Another idea for a genre prompt:

Read a book tagged with a two-word genre.

Examples:

Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
Young Adult
Fairy Tale
Short Stories

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments I just deleted my nomination. I already prefer other ones over it. :)

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Liz, was it the obscure holiday prompt?

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2474 comments Title or cover includes a musical instrument

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill | 567 comments Pam wrote: "Title or cover includes a musical instrument"

I second this suggestion.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Sarah wrote: "Another idea for a genre prompt:

Read a book tagged with a two-word genre.

Examples:

Science Fiction
Historical Fiction
Young Adult
Fairy Tale
Short Stories"

I second this one. Lots of good genre suggestions already. Maybe we'll finally get some genre prompts on our list.

message 20: by Julie (JuJu) (new)

Julie (JuJu) (jlb27) | 26 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Emily wrote: "E- Essays
M - Mystery
I - ....
L - Literary Fiction
Y - Young Adult

This gives me some good options! (And it's so much closer aligned with my reading tastes than most of the genres t..."

That sounds really cool, but my name sucks 😞 JULIE - I did find one though Legal Thriller 😊

message 21: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Julie (JuJu) wrote: "°~Amy~° wrote: "Emily wrote: "E- Essays
M - Mystery
I - ....
L - Literary Fiction
Y - Young Adult

This gives me some good options! (And it's so much closer aligned with my reading tastes than most..."

Remember, you can use your middle and last name too :)

message 22: by Julie (JuJu) (new)

Julie (JuJu) (jlb27) | 26 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Julie (JuJu) wrote: "°~Amy~° wrote: "Emily wrote: "E- Essays
M - Mystery
I - ....
L - Literary Fiction
Y - Young Adult

This gives me some good options! (And it's so much closer aligned with my rea..."

Oh cool! My middle doesn’t help, but my last one does! 😀

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments Yes, Katie. :)

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue | 35 comments a classic book (fiction or nonfiction) you've always meant to read

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 621 comments What did we decide to do about automatic prompts? I remember discussion on this last year but don't remember where we ended.

So in case its not there automatically- a book published in 2020

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 163 comments All great suggestions! I'd like to second the classic.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 621 comments Julie (JuJu) wrote: "°~Amy~° wrote: "Emily wrote: "E- Essays
M - Mystery
I - ....
L - Literary Fiction
Y - Young Adult

This gives me some good options! (And it's so much closer aligned with my reading tastes than most..."

Literature? Journalism? Essays? Jewish or Islamic literature. Erotica! Is urban a thing in literature like it is in music and movies?
I was going to nominate a microhistory but I have an m in my name so it'll work there!

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 311 comments A book from a genre you did not read in 2019

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments I want to resubmit a book related to Earth Day.

message 30: by Kat (new)

Kat | 262 comments A book related to a subject taught in schools e.g. Maths, Science, History, Geography, Politics, Art etc.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 585 comments A book with at least a 4.4 average rating on Goodreads

message 32: by Jill (new)

message 33: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I'll second a book about revenge.

message 34: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 291 comments I'll second A book from a genre you did not read in 2019

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments A book with sad, depressing or dark elements.

I phrased it this way to try to be more inclusive, so that it can include books that are sad, but could also include books like A Man Called Ove, that has sad parts, but is overall heartwarming.

message 36: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I second Katie’s suggestion. Sad book lovers, unite!

message 37: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments Liz wrote: "I want to resubmit a book related to Earth Day."

I second this one!

message 38: by Steve (new)

Steve | 500 comments Julie (JuJu) wrote: "A book with only 2’s and 0’s in the page # (i.e., 202, 222, 200, etc.)"

I’ll second this!

message 39: by Avery (last edited Aug 31, 2019 04:21AM) (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 464 comments I will second a book published in 2020.

Some KIS options could include an edition that is published in 2020, such as the paperback edition, an edition in a different country, a new cover, etc.

message 40: by Fourevver (new)

Fourevver | 55 comments Sarah wrote: "A book with at least a 4.4 average rating on Goodreads"

I'll second this

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments 3 spots left.

message 42: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Pamela wrote: "Is urban a thing in literature like it is in music and movies?..."

Pamela: Yes, Urban Fiction and Urban Fantasy are both genres/subgenres in literature!

Mods: Could we add "(first, middle or last name)" with parenthesis to the end of the genre in your name prompt, just for voting?

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments A book listed in the "See similar books..." link on the Goodreads page for a book you've previously enjoyed. (In the desktop web browser, open the page for a book, look over to the right-hand side of the page across from the blurb - not always available for some less-well-known books that don't have many ratings).

message 44: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments A book rated 5 stars by someone in the AtY group.

message 45: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Read a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name

For Instance, just using my first two names, I could choose from these:
A - adventure
M - mystery
Y - young adult

L - literary fic..."

oh my heavens this is SO MUCH FUN!@!!!@#$@

N - non-fiction
A - adventure
D - dystopian (or detective mystery)
I - imaginary voyage
N - new weird
E - essays

message 46: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 348 comments I’ll second a book related to something taught in school.

message 47: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Kathryn wrote: "A book listed in the "See similar books..." link on the Goodreads page for a book you've previously enjoyed. (In the desktop web browser, open the page for a book, look over to the right-hand side ..."

I’ll second that.

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments One spot left!

message 49: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments I’ll second the 5 star rated suggestion

message 50: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 621 comments I would say what a good list this is....but have said that before and only 2 gets through!

« previous 1