The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Graveyard Book - Spoiler free

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10142 comments Mod
Shhhh! I don't want to know what happens.

message 2: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (syellico) I started listening to the audio version last week (read by Neil Gaiman) - so far I like it. Seems more like a series of short stories so far.

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra I listened to this version as well. I think his reading was wonderful.

message 4: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (syellico) I think it's great when you can listen to a version read by the author. You know they know the characters and the nuances of the story and I feel like you really get the true interpretation.

message 5: by Eve (new)

Eve (eve_lyn) Anyone else think the first line is amazing?

"There was a hand in the darkness and it held a knife."

So simple, but well-crafted. You already know by that one line alone how great the rest of the book is going to be.

message 6: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (syellico) Yes - great first line!!

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra Stephanie wrote: "Anyone else think the first line is amazing?

"There was a hand in the darkness and it held a knife."

So simple, but well-crafted. You already know by that one line alone how great the rest..."

It really is a good line. It draws you into the story right away and you just want to keep reading/listening.
Gaiman really has a way with words. He can convey feelings and situations with the minimun of words but with the best impact.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 310 comments Sherrie Y wrote: "I started listening to the audio version last week (read by Neil Gaiman) - so far I like it. Seems more like a series of short stories so far. "

I kinda saw each chapter as an episode in Bod's life.

message 9: by Rauf (new)

Rauf Those who are reading the audiobooks: you're missing the cool little illustrations that Dave McKean drew...

@Rachel
Yeah I agree.

message 10: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (syellico) Rachel wrote: "Sherrie Y wrote: "I started listening to the audio version last week (read by Neil Gaiman) - so far I like it. Seems more like a series of short stories so far. "

I kinda saw each chapter as a..."

I agree, Rachel. Now that I am further in, I am seeing the connections between chapters. I am currently on Chapter 5.

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments Stephen Colbert interviewed Neil Gaiman about this book. You can access it on his website. They do address that opening line. I won't mention the rest lest I spoil the interview or the book ^.^

message 12: by Eve (new)

Eve (eve_lyn) Tanja wrote: "Stephen Colbert interviewed Neil Gaiman about this book. You can access it on his website. They do address that opening line. I won't mention the rest lest I spoil the interview or the book ^.^"

Love it!!! Thanks for letting us know.

message 13: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 88 comments This is outside my usual genre so I wasn't sure how I was going to like it. I'm only up to Chapter 3 but so far it's great. I wish I had more time to read b/c just when I start getting into it I have to put it down again. Looking forward to some good reading time this weekend!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 45 comments I'm not sure if it's outside of my usual genre (if one includes fantasy like HP here), but it definitely is different. I'm about a third of the way into the book now, and I'm sure I'll finish soon (tomorrow, probably). So far, I've had to look up three words in the dictionary (unusual for me), so it's slowed me down somewhat. I have a feeling I will get through this book and not want to look back. Oh well.