All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Ulysses

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 198 comments I have tried reading Ulysses several times and finally in frustration gave away my book, the guide book for reading the book, and anything else related to it. I have just discovered that I still have the Audible recording in my library, so I might give it another try. No other book has ever defeated me as this one has.

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 1294 comments I've always meant to read it but never got round to it ..... it's stream of consciousness isn't it so I wonder how well it can be conveyed in an audio version?

message 3: by Petra (last edited Aug 31, 2019 10:54AM) (new)

Petra | 3248 comments Pam, I loved the audio version. It was lyrical and flowing. I had read the book previous so I'm not sure whether this next point applies if reading for the first time. I found the audio easier to distinguish the inner and outer worlds of stream of consciousness writing than the written form.
If you check out the beginning of our audio listen-along there's some discussion on the various audio versions:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
(follow the link to the discussion)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I read Ulysses a very long time ago with a group of class mates. I don't think I want to tackle it again.

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11717 comments Mod
When I was in final year of studying English Literature, a friend of mine did a modernism course which involved Ulysses. I didn't study this module but I remember being relieved not to study it as my friend would not moaning about having to read it. He really struggled with it.