Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > 2019 SEPTEMBER Measuring a Meridian

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick, From USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new)

Patrick | 651 comments Mod
Measuring a Meridian is an African tale, first published in 1874 under the cumbrous title The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa. The story was afterward revised and reissued under its briefer title. It is a hunting story, perhaps Vern's very ablest effort in that line. It has aroused many a youthful sportsman's throbbing eagerness for the chase, has given him his first knowledge and his earliest enthusiasm for the heart-stirring excitement to be found in "hunting big game."

Enjoy!!

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8788 comments Mod
I am in for this one!

message 3: by Patrick, From USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new)

Glad to have you on board!

message 4: by Book Nerd (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 350 comments It was pretty good. The whole exploration in a strange last when the world was still big is always cool.
There was a lot of trigonometry that I didn't really make an effort to understand and a lot of hunting.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thanks for the math warning, Book Nerd. As for the hunting, well, it was a sign of their times.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The dynamics of the group are interesting. There is an equal number of Russian and English scientists and workers. The head of the Russians and the head of the Brits consider themselves rivals, while the the two youngest scientists, a Russian and a Brit as well, have become best friends.
I have just finished chapter 7, which showed in detail just how time consuming the accurate measurement of the meridian is. Diagrams would have been useful.

message 7: by Book Nerd (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 350 comments Yeah, the Russian and Brit leaders have a very weird relationship and it gets weirder.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just finished the hunting chapter, so now I know what you meant earlier, Book Nerd.

message 9: by Book Nerd (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 350 comments There is quite a bit of hunting. I know it's a product of it's time, just seems crazy and reckless these days.
They also do something crazy later on, you'll see.

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I just finished Chapter 13 and I have to say I am disappointed in Verne's plot in this one. What a drastic solution because two grown up scientists were both in a snit.

message 11: by Patrick, From USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new)

I saw some other negative reviews on Goodreads. Looks like you’re not alone Rosemarie lol

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I finished it. I enjoyed the other books we have read so far by Verne more than this one, but it did have some good points,the main one being the friendship between the two youngest scientists. They were the most sensible members of the scientific team.